PDA

View Full Version : How do you all cope?

cher25
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Just finished my second day look after an 11 month old and a 4year old brother's.
Took the 4 year old to nursery, played with the baby who then got very upset but wouldn't settle, eventually cried himself to sleep.
After picking up the 4 year old we went to the park, then home for lunch. The baby wouldnt eat his dinner, then got upset again and didn't stop till we went out again, was sound asleep by the time we got back. But every time he woke he cried well it was more like screaming.
The 4 year old wanted me to play, but i couldn't. The baby didn't want to play. Wasn't till after tea he calmed down and by then i tried to write up their diary's while the 4 year old still wanted my attention. Turns out the baby is teething again. Mum is bringing calpol and teething gel tomorrow as that does help him to settle. Will i need to make a permission form up for both?
Im loving having the children, but can't wait till next week when im off.lol How do you all manage with this? Don't think id be able to cope with 2 teething children. I also feel guilty for not being able to pay attention to the 4 year old as he has been so excited about coming to mine to play.
Sorry this message is long, needed a rant.lol

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Hello

It is early days for all of you

Dont worry I promise it does get easier. You will soon get baby into a routine and know his sleep pattern so you can spend time with the 4 year old

Try and find out what the older one likes to do - is he happy sitting colouring and drawing - or does he like to play with cars or something? Find out and then maybe he could be doing something like that when baby is being more demanding

You do need permission for the Calpol
You will find a form on the Bromley website

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html

Good luck I am sure things will settle down soon

Angel xx

sarah707
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like you are coping very well ...

It is hard to give older ones attention, sometimes you have to pop baby in the cot and leave them, so you can see them and be sure they're safe of course... then go and play cars!

It's early days like Angel says, I'm sure baby will calm :D

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes that is true what Sarah says - dont always let the demanding baby have his own way either once hes settled

I pop my screamer in his buggy or sitting at the table still screaming but safe and secure so I can spend time with the older ones

You have to fit these children in with you and find out what works

Angel xx

cher25
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you Sarah and Angel.
The baby was crying all morning today aswell, and again didn't have lunch again. He's fine when we are out, it's just the second we get home he starts to cry. Had a good afternoon though, he was fine till his mum came home.lol. Just had to start acting silly to get a smile out of him. His teeth were clearly hurting today though, even though mum had said he was fine last night.
Im off next week anyway, so the 2nd week of settling in is after that, and then ill try and get started with the eyfs. Think i might have a good look through your website at the ebooks Sarah. Cos i haven't got a clue where to start for the eyfs.

Thank you both again for the advice. Look forward to chatting to you's more. :)

Cher.xx