PDA

View Full Version : Headbanging :(

Supernanny86
08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Sorry guys I know there was something about headbanging on here a few weeks ago but I can't find it!!

LO 22m has a foul temper. He headbangs when he doesn't get his own way, on purpose too, he's even taken to lightly tapping his head on whatever is near him too!! I've warned mum he's doing this, but I'm worried he's going to hurt himself!! Do I just ignore and if he does hurt himself it'll be a lesson learnt or what?!!

Thanks in advance :)

sarah707
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Mum should go to the HV for urgent advice... the child might need emotional support... the theory is that a child will rarely do it so much they are hurt.

It can be scary though and I have seen a child many years ago bang his head on a floor and not realise it was concrete :(

Hugs x

watgem
08-07-2013, 05:36 PM
it was me who asked recently! the LO headbangs if he can't get his own way, mum was advised to ignore it if at all possible, I got some good advice on here, such as try and distract if possible, slip a cushion/something soft underneath if not (I have hard concrete floors!) my own son used to do it and I was told to ignore it, he did stop eventually but its so much harder when its not your own child! definitely get mum to talk to the HV, as this LO's language is developing, the headbanging is gradually getting less and lessxxx

blue bear
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
I went on a behaviour management conference recently, fabulous guy looked at things from outside the box, he said head banging can be a medical problem in theat the nerves and bones are too close and cause huge pressure so when child gets cross they get immense pain and headbang to get relief. He said the child should see the gp to rule out this medical problem.

Increase the child's fluid intake because if they are dehydrated they get similar pressure and will again headbang to get relief.

It could be emotional and a visit to the health visitor is needed.

Risk assess like mad, have cushions ready or a soft place to put the child when a rage starts. Try telling the chikd no before they actually bang their head, this works in the youngest head bangers apparently. Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Joda
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
My twins used to head-bang - it's alarming to watch! They were very late talkers so communication was a problem for them and they became frustrated. The doctor told me they wouldn't cause any lasting damage by head banging the floor and wall and once they began talking it stopped completely.

CH1957
08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I've got one at the moment who head bangs when she loses her temper, makes bruises so must hurt her! Her older sister did the same thing which stopped once she could talk properly, Mum was told is a frustration thing.

Jiorjiina
08-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Try some baby sign and see if it is the communication problems that are frustrating him? Otherwise if he;s doing it for attention then make sure he's on something soft and 'ignore' him. (While not actually ignoring him, obviously!)

Supernanny86
09-07-2013, 04:11 AM
Thanks for all your replies!

In terms of communication he's fine so I think it's just attention, I always warn him it'll hurt and move him but he'll still do it!! I've drawn up necessary ra and parents know. We go to baby signing group and he's very good at signing. To be fair to him it's getting less and less frequent, so just a phase ill have to keep ignoring I guess. I don't think it helps that his twins communication is lacking so have been trying to give him as many opportunities to play and talk to other lo too. Hopefully helping the other twin whose extremely shy and total opposite of the confident, cheeky, joker, headbanging monkey!! :) :)

Just have to wait for this phase to pass I suppose, just like his "no" "why" "werry"(supposed to be Kerry but he thought it was funny as he could finally call me to keep repeating it over and over...!)

Thanks again everyone :D