PDA

View Full Version : Help

chrissyl03
08-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone, new to these boards, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!! Have started the ball rolling to become a registered childminder, and I'm looking advice on all areas! :D I am waiting for Social services to get back to me, but the checklist they gave me is a bit overwhelming! Is there a grant, etc to help with getting stairgates,etc? If you don't mind what would a general day be like being a childminder? Would you do different activities everyday? Sorry for all the questions-would be afraid of not knowing what to do to keep the wee ones occupied.

Thanks in advance!

Toothfairy
08-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi
You could try your local LA for grants but they seem to be very few and far between now a days.
When I started out, many moons ago, I bought second hand and from boot fairs. Then, over the years, I've bought new bits to add to my setting.

Activities - I tend to go with the children's interests and their 'next steps'.
I have group planning for each month but don't always follow it.
Our days are made up of a mixture of child-led, adult-led and free play activities.

HTH :thumbsup:

hectors house
08-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone, new to these boards, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!! Have started the ball rolling to become a registered childminder, and I'm looking advice on all areas! :D I am waiting for Social services to get back to me, but the checklist they gave me is a bit overwhelming! Is there a grant, etc to help with getting stairgates,etc? If you don't mind what would a general day be like being a childminder? Would you do different activities everyday? Sorry for all the questions-would be afraid of not knowing what to do to keep the wee ones occupied.

Thanks in advance!

As Toothfairy has said, there only seems to be grants in areas where there is a shortage of childminders - so look out at NCT second hand sales and car boot sales for equipment and some basic toys. I had 3 girls but during 8 years of childminding I have mostly had boys during that time, so I look out at car boot sales and charity shop for "boys" toys - luckily I have a grandson now, so will be plenty for him to play with when he comes to visit!

I have a board with photographs of different toys and activities and the children mostly choose for themselves what they want to play with. I sometimes also give them a choice on where we go on an outing eg: park, library, livestock market, walk in the woods, toddlers. I do have set days to go to toddlers but that isn't set in stone if the weather is nice or need to fit in a craft activity for mothers day or if a child tired.

Good luck with your registration - hope to see you on forum again soon :)

chrissyl03
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the responses! Am quiet nervous and still unsure about going ahead with it, I have a little boy starting with me in Sept and he has been round twice now so my daughter and him can get used to each other. The first time was fine but the second-he seemed to be hyper and hit my daughter on the face and didn't do even what his mother told him to do, he was quiet rough. My husband says I shouldn't take him as our daughter shouldn't be used as a 'punch bag' where other children are concerned :(

Also I would like another child of my own next year-how do you cope being pregnant plus maybe having 3/4 other children to look after, do childminders get maternity leave too?

sing-low
09-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Hi Chrissy. I may be confused but it sounds like you are going to start childminding in September without knowing for certain that you will be registered. I would advise against this as you must be registered with Ofsted to childmind legally. You could get into all sorts of trouble and jeopardise your future registration. Apologies if I've got it wrong but just wanted to check.

karen m
09-07-2013, 06:53 AM
I have read post and thought same as sing low . I can't understand how you are having settling in sessions if you have not been granted registration yet, do you not already have stair gates if your daughter is still young, I may have misunderstood , as for maternity leave you will be self employed so as long as you give sufficient notice of maternity leave for parents to find alternative care

chrissyl03
09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I won't be registered until Nov/Dec time, maybe sooner! I had put an ad on gumtree that I could childmind/babysit, thinking along the lines of parents,etc going out for the night but I got a phonecall about looking after this boy 3 days a week, so took it!!! The mother knows I am working towards becoming registered, and she's fine with that. It would only be for 8/12 weeks that I won't be registered. Can I get in trouble for that? As I know a few women that have been childminding for over 20 years and aren't registered! I know I can't get insurance, etc until I'm registered but I was going to print up a sort of agreement with the mum to keep me covered! I have a stairgate at the min on my kitchen/living area door, but my house is 3 floors, do I need a stairgate for each level?

Smiley
09-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Chrissy
As far as I'm aware there is currently a £250 grant available to everyone who is starting childminding
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-million-grant-scheme-to-boost-childcare-launched

As for childminding when pregnant, I used to have 3 in a triple pushchair and did school runs each day. Of course it depends on individual pregnancies and how you feel. Very hard work but as is the case for most things, when faced with we just get on with it! Lol

chrissyl03
09-07-2013, 08:36 AM
I won't be registered until Nov/Dec time, hopefully sooner. I had put an ad on gumtree for childminding/babysitting thinking along the lines of parents going out for the evening, then I got a call to look after the boy for 3 days a week, so took it. Didn't think there was anything wrong with that as I know women childminding over 20 years an aren't registered. His mother knows I am working towards becoming registered and she's fine with that. I know I can't get insurance but I was going to print up something that would keep me covered. I have a stairgate on my kitchen/living area door, but my house is 3 floors-do I need a stair gate on every level?

FussyElmo
09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I won't be registered until Nov/Dec time, hopefully sooner. I had put an ad on gumtree for childminding/babysitting thinking along the lines of parents going out for the evening, then I got a call to look after the boy for 3 days a week, so took it. Didn't think there was anything wrong with that as I know women childminding over 20 years an aren't registered. His mother knows I am working towards becoming registered and she's fine with that. I know I can't get insurance but I was going to print up something that would keep me covered. I have a stairgate on my kitchen/living area door, but my house is 3 floors-do I need a stair gate on every level?

Im assuming you are being paid and in your home if yes then what you are doing is illegal - sorry.

An agreement between you and the mum is not enough and if the child was to have an accident in your care without insurance.

Babysitting takes place in the parents home.

Mrsh3103
09-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Like fussy said, it is illegal to childmind before you are registered. I would think very carefully about it, what if the child had an accident while in your care? You won't be insured.
Ofsted will look very badly on you when they find out, they could refuse to register you. They will have to come out to do a pre reg visit & it will be clear that you are already minding.

you need to wait until you are registered before you start minding.

kellyskidz!
09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Drawing up something with mum is not the same as being insured. If you're being paid to mind children in your home and they have an accident you WILL be liable, and also in big trouble I'm assuming, since its illegal to cm without being registered. Don't know about the women who have been minding for 20 years without being registered, that's obviously illegal, we all go through a lot to do things by the book and pay out a lot of money for insurance, OFSTED fees and health checks.
Why wait until Nov/Dec time? I was registered, health checked, insured and Ofsted inspected and ready to go in the space of 3 months so it can be done quickly xx

hectors house
09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree with what the others have said - you can't look after a child in your own home for more than 2 hours a day for financial reward - the only possible way round it would be if you worked as a nanny in the interim period and worked in the child's own home - but even then the parent may have to "employ" you and pay your national insurance.

I would just concentrate on trying to get your Ofsted registration through as quickly as possible - making sure you fill in the forms correctly so they don't get returned, are you even enrolled on a childminding course yet - if not I doubt you will be able to do one now until September.

I don't know if you need a stair gate for each floor but you definitely will need a smoke alarm on each one.

Also I can't understand a parent who would advertise on gumtree for childcare - this is her child for goodness sake, not a second hand sofa!:panic:

chrissyl03
09-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:Also I can't understand a parent who would advertise on gumtree for childcare - this is her child for goodness sake, not a second hand sofa!:panic:[/Q

It was myself advertised my services on gumtree, to babysit/ childmind but as I said I was thinking more along the lines if parents wanted to go out for the night, etc. Im being registered through my local Surestart and NICMA (I live in Northern Ireland), my 'mentor' has said it will take 3/4 months so by that time it will be Nov/Dec time as I have a briefing session,first aid,etc. Although I have first aid from working as home help. If I would be safer waiting an extra while to get registered-what would I say to the lady I have agreed to look after her son? I assumed it wouldn't have mattered a month or two doing it not registered!!!!!!!

My neighbour from when I lived at home has been looking after children over 20 years, and she is suppose to be on very good money, but as my mum said she's been extremely lucky that there has been no accidents!!!

sing-low
09-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I was caught out in a similar way to you with thinking that my registration would come through sooner than it did. In your place, I would be honest with Mum and say that you made a mistake and that you are really sorry but you can't look after her son after all. She has more than six weeks to make alternative arrangements. Explain that you don't want to risk your future registration with Ofsted.

greanan
09-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I did the same and thought I'd have registration sooner - it was one of my friends children so i ended up looking after them in their house as a favour for a few weeks till got sorted