PDA

View Full Version : A Question For those who provide meals

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Okay slightly random question, just though about it today while sat on the bus. If you provide food/meals do you:
Plan a weeks/months meals in advance, and display this for parents, then keep it as a record

Do you keep a record of meals you have prepared, and given to children.

Thanks in advance.

manjay
08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I do have a 3 week menu but don't always stick to it. I am quite flexible depending what is in my fridge or what we have eaten the night before. I record every morsel that passes the children's lips in my daily journal

foxy lady
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I do have a 3 week menu but don't always stick to it. I am quite flexible depending what is in my fridge or what we have eaten the night before. I record every morsel that passes the children's lips in my daily journal

this is the same for me
i dont think that you can always stick to a menu.sometimes the children ask if they can have something else for tea i dont say no if it a healthy meal and i have it.
anyway eyfs now say we should be 80% child lead ha ha

Mrs M
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I started out by doing weekly menus and displaying them in the parent's information section on my wall. However, they soon came down when I realised I couldn't stick to them! I sometimes cook batches of dishes at the weekend and freeze, sometimes they have something I've cooked the night before and sometimes I make something easy if it's been a hard day! Also you have to think about snacks and I make my own fruit bars but I don't always have the time to do it so they have fruit instead. As long as your food is nutritious, I recommend you shop for the week and go from there.

sarah707
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
The only person to take any notice of our menus was the Ofsted inspector.

We cook healthy meals every night but we buy seasonally available food, or special offers.

We do have a rolling chicken on Monday, fish on Tuesday etc so parents know what their children are getting, but that's as far as it goes. The actual food on the plates comes in many guises :D

manjay
08-07-2008, 05:37 PM
The only person to take any notice of our menus was the Ofsted inspector.

We cook healthy meals every night but we buy seasonally available food, or special offers.

We do have a rolling chicken on Monday, fish on Tuesday etc so parents know what their children are getting, but that's as far as it goes. The actual food on the plates comes in many guises :D

What's a rolling chicken?:laughing:

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a menu displaying ideas of what I do for parents to see and Ofsted

I dont stick to it ........ we have what we fancy each day or whatever I feel like cooking

But it gives a general idea of food that we like and eat

Angel xx

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
When ofsted visit are they interested in what you have actually given the children, or just the type of meal you give them (sample menu)

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Isent that the same really ?

They like to know you offer healthy meals and fruit etc

It also goes in your favour if you teach the children about healthy eating and get them involved in preparing it with you

Take some pictures of them doing this

Angel xx

manjay
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I know CSSIW were only really interested in a sample menu. I make notes of what we have eaten in case anyone tries to accuse me of giving one of the little darlings food poisoning

Twinkles
08-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I tried doing a menu so that the children could moan in advance :D but it didn't work as , for example, I had shepherds pie on the menu but when I came to make it found out that dh had used the potatoes for jacket spuds the evening before :rolleyes: Anyway after a few times of that sort of thing happening I just plan a day at a time. I have a sample menu ( for ofsted ).

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Isent that the same really ?

Sorry didn't word that very well.

What I meant was do they like to see actual records of meals served, or a menu showing what type of meals you have planned (as you would show a parent before the hired you).

Thanks everyone.

deeb66
08-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I too put together a menu but as the children eat exactly the same as us it is done on a weekly basis.

By doing it this way then I have half a chance of sticking to it....although it is not always the case.

I too record everything the children have eaten so that the parent is aware on a daily basis.

Hannahlg
08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
i plan what where going to give them weekly so we know what we need to get from asda.

we out up dialy what was for breakfast dinner and tea some parents look some dont

Pudding Girl
08-07-2008, 06:23 PM
I have an example menu of things i will likely make - but tbh I just make whatever fancy takes me. Also like ^^ I tend to batch cook and put aside meals to freeze.

I have a blank sheet of paper laminated and hung on my noticeboard that I enter each day with a dry wipe pen what we are having so parents can see at drop off what they'll be eating. Also obviously gets recorded in the little ones diaries ( under 3yo)