PDA

View Full Version : We have a biter :(

Cakes
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm feeling mega guilty, my 18 month old bit one of my similar aged mindees this morning leaving a big bruise :( accident report filled in which parents have signed on collection and told me not to worry about it but I'm mortified!!!! My little one has been having frustration temper tantrums for a few months which we've been ignoring as its just a developmental stage but what do I do now with the biting?

Tunja
08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm feeling mega guilty, my 18 month old bit one of my similar aged mindees this morning leaving a big bruise :( accident report filled in which parents have signed on collection and told me not to worry about it but I'm mortified!!!! My little one has been having frustration temper tantrums for a few months which we've been ignoring as its just a developmental stage but what do I do now with the biting?

Extra vigilance to avoid a repeat performance. Or use a muzzle.:laughing:

jackie 7
08-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Say no firmly and remove from area. I recommending editing in a new set of eyes for the back of your head.

Smileyface
08-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh dear the same with my daughter who's 18 mints old biting other minde who's same age in a few occasions now ;(
What do I do? X

kellyskidz!
08-07-2013, 12:58 PM
It's their age, I know it sounds a cop out but most kids go through a temper phase between 18m and 2yrs. Terrible 2s kicking in early ;-)
Don't feel too bad, I beat myself up when my daughter hit a boy at playgroup, the next week he bit her face totally out of the blue (which showed his smug mother who said her child would never hurt anyone)
That's why I try not to judge because you know the second you do your child will turn around and do the exact thing you thought they'd never do!
Don't give her too much attention when she bites, even telling her off because that may be the reaction they're looking for. Just firmly say no and move her away for a while until she calms down. Also praise her when she shows good behaviour so she learns the difference. Good luck! Xxx

skatie
08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm so pleased to have found this thread today. I was mortified that my 18mnth old bit my 3 year old mindee. No bruising but still a red mark. She came into the kitchen crying and said he'd bitten her, I had to ask twice because I didn't believe what my ears where hearing but sure enough there is a very definite bite mark on her chest. I feel so, so, bad! I removed him from the room and told him firmly No! Do not bite :-( texted DH straight away I Am dreading telling Mum when she collects.

Samijanec
08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Some training I went on said that often biting is an attention thing, they bite and they get attention straight away. The answer was to see to the child that was bitten first without saying anything to the biter. Check the child is ok and give them your attention then when they are ok turn to the biter and talk to them.

Cakes
08-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Definately appears it is normal then! Some children just bite, not that it make's any of us feel any less guilty!!!!!

I think the worst thing for me was I was sat on the floor playing with both children,who appeared to be interacting really well as normal(mindee has been with us for almost a year so they are used to playing together) and I didn't even notice DS had bitten until mindee started crying. So although I did tell him NO, I now am not sure how I can prevent a stealth biter!!!!:( To add to my guilt mindee is the sweetest,most gentle,well behaved,loving child I have ever known too....the total opposite to my little monkey!

Samijanec
08-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I honestly think almost all little ones bite at some point. I'd try no too worry too much. X

vickylou
08-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I have a biter too!! 15 month old and she's now been biting for 6 months! She bit another minders little boy in Jan thought it was a one off but in the last few weeks has been biting sister!! Last week she bit again but made such a mess other child's face is still bruised one week on!! This time she bit child's face twice!! Now I don't leave her unattended for a second!! If I have to leave her she goes in either high hair or playpen! But it's draining and stressful

Bumble Beez
09-07-2013, 04:55 AM
My own DS at 2 and a bit went thru a biting phase...never had an issue with any kind of bad behaviour before with him and I was mortified when he bit a LO's arm. Left a mark and very red but luckily didn't bruise :( however I then found he began to have the most horrendous temper tantrums which ended up being an attention thing. It would always be when I was at the door, changing a LO's nappy or feeding a LO. I tried really hard to involve my own DS in everything I was doing and it passed really quickly...I also found if I intervened quickly the biting or tantrum didn't develop.
Hope this helps a little :D

Sarah x