PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an ofsted inspector

jadavi
08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Two inspectors have told me now that this is quite an easy area to get into if you have experience of early years plus an early years qualification. You have to look on the Prospects website.
This is what I've been told:
You can work part time and choose your hours.
A lot of driving as they send you outside your area. Each report takes around 8-10 hours from start to finish (excluding travel) there is training and support throughout.
I assume its quite well paid.anyone know anything about it?
Vaguely interested for when things get too energetic for me (pushing 60 now)
Obv it depends on how things shape up with all the changes. Would not be so keen to inspect nurseries....

desiderata
08-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I did put a link on here to an inspector job a couple of weeks ago...

QualityCare
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
My DO said l should apply to become one but the travelling put me off as you don't inspect in your own area the last 2 inspections l have had the inspectors had traveled for 3 hrs one by train and one using her car.

hectors house
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Gosh an Ofsted inspector with a childminding background - that would be a first - come to me first please :clapping:

bindy
08-07-2013, 12:50 PM
My DO said l should apply to become one but the travelling put me off as you don't inspect in your own area the last 2 inspections l have had the inspectors had traveled for 3 hrs one by train and one using her car.

Don't understand this, I was told by my last two inspectors they do inspect their areas, my first inspector lived just a few miles away ( she was lovely) my last one, just a few streets away, she was a child minder too and awful, full of her self hated her.

desiderata
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
the thread was called Job for someone

FussyElmo
08-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Heres the thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/120719-job-someone.html

The Juggler
08-07-2013, 01:39 PM
its shocking actually how short the training is but you have to pay for it all yourself. Attend the training which is residential usually (so hotels on top). You have to committ to doing 2 day inspections at least say 10 times per you and in return they will guarantee you about 4 :rolleyes: in addition you will then need to pay for and attend any other training top ups they feel necessary.

tribal and prospects require and early years degree but one of them - tribal I think also require experience of work in lots of different EY settings. One is happy as long as you have experience.

good luck if you go for it!

sarah707
08-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I think it's about £70k a year :D

bindy
08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
its shocking actually how short the training is but you have to pay for it all yourself. Attend the training which is residential usually (so hotels on top). You have to committ to doing 2 day inspections at least say 10 times per you and in return they will guarantee you about 4 :rolleyes: in addition you will then need to pay for and attend any other training top ups they feel necessary.

tribal and prospects require and early years degree but one of them - tribal I think also require experience of work in lots of different EY settings. One is happy as long as you have experience.

good luck if you go for it!

My last inspector March 2013, told me she had a degree, then said she had none??? She worked for Prospect? Go figure !

karen m
08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
My last inspection may 2013 was done by a lady who was previously a childminder , she was one snooty so and so, honestly though she would understand how hard it is to get parents to write in any communication books or 2 year check up ..... No it was just well you should try harder

jadavi
09-07-2013, 05:23 AM
I had a look. 48 inspections a year I guess is the full time job. My latest inspector said I cd do part time and even just start on my day off to see if I liked it....
I'm wondering if their role might change in the future?

Smiley
09-07-2013, 08:01 AM
It is freelance work and yes they prefer a commitment of 48 inspections per year, which is part time work. It certainly isn't £70k per year and freelance inspectors don't get travel expenses or equipment. However, it is flexible and can certainly fit in with childminding. As for the travelling its fine to state a preference for the maximum distance you want to travel. For obvious reasons there is a minimum distance from home due to potential conflicts of interest.
The salary is dependent on the type of setting as payment is per inspection.
As they are currently recruiting, then I would say if it is an area of interest then apply, as that's the way to find out more information

jadavi
10-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks. Does anyone know what the pay rate is?

Seems a bit unreasonable to not pay for travel....
Anyone doing this on here?

Supernanny86
10-07-2013, 03:21 AM
Don't understand this, I was told by my last two inspectors they do inspect their areas, my first inspector lived just a few miles away ( she was lovely) my last one, just a few streets away, she was a child minder too and awful, full of her self hated her.

My mind boggles! There's enough that are full of themselves around here!! Talk about take your pick!! :D

Bumble Beez
10-07-2013, 04:58 AM

Well in that case...I'm off to become an inspector...I can give everyone my opinions for 70k a year :D

Sarah x

Smiley
10-07-2013, 08:59 AM
The pay rates depend on the type of setting eg. Childminder, childcare on non domestic premises, out of school clubs etc. freelance inspectors will therefore all earn different amounts dependent on the number of inspections carried out. Travel expenses can be classed as a business expenses in the same way that we can as childminders.

rickysmiths
10-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Gosh an Ofsted inspector with a childminding background - that would be a first - come to me first please :clapping:

Not at all two of the inspectors I have had for 3 inspections in the last 9 years were childminders. Still didn't stop one of them being a nasty jobsworth.

JCrakers
10-07-2013, 10:11 AM
70K.... Im sold,

Writing to parents as we speak...... Dear Parents, As from Monday I will no longer....... :p

Bumble Beez
10-07-2013, 10:18 AM
70K.... Im sold,

Writing to parents as we speak...... Dear Parents, As from Monday I will no longer....... :p

Lol...lol...lol... :)

The Juggler
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM

most of the recruitment now is for freelance inspectors though so i guess you gotta be willing to drop everything each time they need an inspection. they will only guarantee a min. of about 4 inspections a year!

Smiley
10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Freelance inspectors are able to state the days they have available, that's the flexibility of being freelance and there's plenty of work at the moment that's why they're recruiting more

jax clinch
10-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I had a look last night and there are 3 training dates and intakes for this year. June, August and October. I think it was about 8 days training, shadowing another inspector then you being observed doing an inspection. You had to do a minimum of 48 a year and payment wasn't as much as I thought. It depends what type of provision you inspect and whether it is just a general inspection or re inspection etc. The prices ranged from between £220-@£450. Worth following the link on a previous thread just to find out more about it. I'm considering applying for the October one :eek:

Simona
10-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Having a few ex cms becoming Ofsted inspectors could be very good...expertise, knowledge, unbiased approach in awarding grades that are on merit not prejudice!!

Sad thing I don't think I could ever work with Michael Wilshaw or ever inspect an 'agency'...let alone give them an Outstanding on useless 'paperwork' and make Truss glow!!!

I'll pass on this occasion!

Mrs Scrubbit
10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
One of my inspections was carried out by a local lady, she was lovely but my last inspector lived 25 miles away and was an ex c/minder and in all my 23yrs I have never had such a horrid experience despite the fact that I had a little baby who was going through the 'anti stranger' stage and was really suffering from teething and had decided she needed to cling onto me and scream if my attention was not on her, for the whole 2 1/2 hrs the inspector just kept on firing non stop questions at me for the whole time, there was hardly any looking through my paperwork and no 'sitting and observing' me at work . I still got a 'good' but the way it was carried out was awful and what made it worse was the fact she was an ex minder herself, I am overdue an inspection and am really dreading it as I now have 2 teethers and a 'sometimes terrible 2yr old ......oh the joys of minding! xx

jadavi
12-07-2013, 03:01 AM
I'm shocked that you have to pay for your training as in overnight costs for 9 am starts etc unless you live right there . It's a substantial financial investment for not much money - you have to physically submit your report at a local centre within three days so that is more time taken up. It was suggested to me that I combine with childminding but it sounds almost impossible to do that.

jackie 7
12-07-2013, 08:09 AM
If we all became inspectors then who would care for the children? Please can everyone who had had a bad inspection complain and keep going with the complaint. Then you can refuse to have that inspector back and perhaps ofsted will realise that they have a problem.