PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Sunburn

Daisy De
08-07-2013, 09:42 AM
2 out of 3 arrived with mild sunburn today, my question is should parents be allowed to have sole care of their children over the weekend :laughing:

kellyskidz!
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm the other way round, my daughter is as pale as ever and I've stupidly burnt all my shoulders and am in agony :(
Also mindee has just leaped on my back and it took every ounce of willpower not to swear/cry/scream in pain lol xx

AliceK
08-07-2013, 09:45 AM
2 out of 3 arrived with mild sunburn today, my question is should parents be allowed to have sole care of their children over the weekend :laughing:

I find it astonishing that children are allowed to burn. I had one last week the same. My own children played in the paddling pool all day yesterday and were also out playing on Saturday, both had no tops on and it reached 30 degrees. DS goes a lovely brown colour as soon as he see's the sun, DD is fair but I spent 5 mins spraying suncream on them and neither of them had any hint of sunburn. Honestly it's not bleedin difficult is it.

xxxx

Daisy De
08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Ouch !! Kellyskidz I do sympathise.

And I totally agree Alicek it shouldn't happen, in fact one of my mindees mum was very embarrassed and said it wouldn't have happened if they had been here and she is right as I am quite paranoid about hats and suncream.

Had a parent say once that she couldn't put suncream on her lo, she wouldn't let her, here it is no suncream no garden :thumbsup:

clareelizabeth1
08-07-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm the other way round, my daughter is as pale as ever and I've stupidly burnt all my shoulders and am in agony :(
Also mindee has just leaped on my back and it took every ounce of willpower not to swear/cry/scream in pain lol xx

Im the same ds skin really beautiful i look like a lobster after a day on the beach. This weekend we hid in the shade so didnt use cream but your right only takes a second and its not hard.

lizduncan72
08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
My kids are all fine despite being out all weekend-but I've got lobster legs!! Spent all my time making sure kids were covered and forgot my legs :( I have got a lovely white handprint on one leg though-littlest dd (17 months) must have put her hand on my leg after she got cream on so it's the only bit not burnt!!

scottishlass
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Sone of the mums around here want their kids to get a tan and rarely bother with sun cream (and quite happily share this info!)

In fact both my wee ones parents have said on past sunny says oh they will be fine and I have said no I always use it. If they do put theirs in the bag I will just use mine although they both realise they really need it in this weather!!

I was unwell over the weekend and my cousin took my 2 aged 11 and 7 to the beach - I stressed please keep re-applying their suncream as my youngest has the palest skin ever and always had on factor 50 - my older daughter is not as pale but still need to wear suncream and left to her own devices won't do it (had this happen when my mum took her out and I said make sure she puts it on as is lazy and will just say she has done it!! This exact thing then happened and she was burnt - thankfully not too badly!!)

Anyway my cousin brought them both back and my eldest has very red shoulders at the back!! And my youngest had slightly red legs at the back!! Know its not major burnt but not happy - why is it impossible for members of my family to put sun cream on my kids properly!! When I have any of my cousins or nieces it friends of my kids (or of course mindees) they are covered in cream as the last thing I want it to feel responsible for someone's else's kids getting burnt!!

Xx

yummyripples
08-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Scottishlass, be careful using your own without signed permission. What would happen if the mindees had an allergic reaction? Or am I being ott....

bindy
08-07-2013, 05:07 PM
One little mindee, I noticed had very red shoulders, I wanted to take them to the splash park, so looked in her bag for a spare tee shirt and put it on over her swim suit. I said to mum at pick up " noticed lo had burnt shoulders, I put on a tee shirt to protect" She went a little sheepish and looked to the ground. I thought to my self, don't think you are going to blame me for that one tomorrow!

scottishlass
08-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Scottishlass, be careful using your own without signed permission. What would happen if the mindees had an allergic reaction? Or am I being ott....

Thanks yummy ripples - yeah I did a slip for using my suncream where sun cream was not provided on my permission forms as both my set of parents often forget the suncream (and sun hats etc!) on a daily basis!! Xx

Mrs Scrubbit
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
If parents don't supply sun screen then I've told them that their child will need to stay in the shaded area of my garden (tiny area as most of it is in full sun)or remain under the gazebo. I'm very strict on this as I've had skin cancer which reguired a couple of ops to remove it all and then 10yrs of follow up check ups xx

Bumble Beez
08-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Lucky it was mild...one of mine came with arms looking like they were gonna blister. He was 2 only a few days ago and I was horrified :(

Sarah x

Petshrinklj
08-07-2013, 08:48 PM
How often do you reapply it. With my daughter I reapply it quite regularly but my son is at school so I put his cream on before he goes and when I collect but that doesn't seem enough to me. I'm not very happy about it. He wears a Sunhat that covers his neck but his arms and face are bare.

Stapleton83
08-07-2013, 09:06 PM
It seems ironic that if the children were burnt during their time with us the parents would go mad, yet the parents seem unable to apply the same rationale to themselves :panic:

Still at least it was not your fault - my DH is obsessive about hats and sun screen on our two after he had sun stroke as a small child - not nice.

Sam x