PDA

View Full Version : new school

Emmalou77
08-07-2013, 06:58 AM
I have a girl that will be starting reception class in september, its a different school to where she goes to nursery and we will be taking her to the new school on her first day and every day. It will be a new setting and she will know no one. I just wanted to know if this is a normal situation that minders have to deal with? I just really feel for the little girl.

AliceK
08-07-2013, 09:36 AM
It's quite usual around here, lots of children go to the school's nursery but as the school itself is over subscribed once they start school they have to go to a different school but likewise some children start at the school having been going to a different nursery so don't know anyone. I know our local school do visits and lunches for the new children before they start so that at least they know where their classroom is and have met their teacher. As a parent it's not something I would have wanted for my children but children are resilient and I'm sure are fine once they start. I wouldn't be too happy at having to take a child to school on their very first day though, surely as a parent you would want to do that :(

xxxx

Helen79
08-07-2013, 11:08 AM
My own children went to a different nursery to where they went to school and settled fine. Are the school not doing induction settling in sessions for the children. Our school has the new reception children going into school one morning a week through June and July with parents to get them used to the school and meet the new teacher.

I wouldn't really want to take mindee on her first day of school, is there no way mum can get an hour off work in the morning. If you've got other children with you it's going to be hard to give her the attention she needs to find her new peg, where to put lunch boxes etc and if she's upset you won't be able to stay to look after her for a bit if you've got other children with you.

yummyripples
08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I am surprised that the parents are not taking her and collecting her on her first day.
I don't know why I am surprised but........