PDA

View Full Version : Retainer

Karine79
06-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm newly registered and looking for a bit of advice. Had an enquiry from a new mum looking for her child to be minded in 3 months time. What is a reasonable retainer to charge? Don't want to make it too much or too little??!!

moggy
06-07-2013, 08:36 PM
To be honest, I would not charge a retainer for 3 months. 3 months is a quite usual amount of time for a parent to allow for finding a minder. And if you are a new minder you have already done really well to have this lined up as it often take 6mth to get the first family in.

I would ask for 4 weeks fees as a deposit to be deducted from the first months fees. A deposit protects you from them changing their minds as you get to keep it if they do not follow through.

If you think you could fill the space sooner then turn this job down. Or if the parent is really willing to pay a retainer then 50% is usual- but it depends what the regular contract hours will be, what they can afford and what you feel you need to receive to make it worthwhile.

I once charged just £100 a month as a retainer as I was quite willing to keep the space open for a returning family who I really wanted back after their maternity leave.

CLL
06-07-2013, 08:39 PM
As stated already if this is your first family to sign up I would accept with a months deposit and no retainer. It could take another 3 months to get another enquiry.

serin
07-07-2013, 09:28 AM
I ask for a weeks pay in advance so my deposit is a weeks pay in advance. It is not really a deposit but I am paid for that week in advance to hold the position. Everyone has diffferent rules. Its what works for you but like everyones said well done for the quick interest.

FizzWizz
07-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't ask for retainers, in this situation I ask for £250 as the deposit and take these off the first months childcare, just enough of an incentive that if I hold the space they wouldn't just walk away hopefully!