PDA

View Full Version : Pool

Petshrinklj
05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
There's a chance my new house may have an indoor pool (a very small exercise type one) I'm wondering about whether I should sell this as one of my USP? I'd only use it if I have one adult to one non swimmer and one adult to two older swimmers. As I think it'd be too risky otherwise. So it's unlikely to be used much. Should I do this or should I just have the room not listed with ofsted? What would you do? I wonder if it'd be allowed as I'm not lifeguard trained. Although I will have done my first aid by time I'm registered. But Not sure what that covers yet.

Koala
05-07-2013, 03:28 PM
ooh thats a hard one.

My first thoughts were, wow, that's great.

Then I thought, what about it being accessible to children? the dangers of ponds pools etc...
and then I thought about cleaning the pool, poo poo wee wee etc....
and then I thought about allergies to pool cleaners, chlorine etc...

And then I stopped thinking because my head hurt....

CLL
05-07-2013, 03:57 PM
I would say no to using the pool with mindees. Although it sounds like a fab idea I think in this day and age there is to much controversy around health and safety.

dawn100
06-07-2013, 12:07 AM
As a youth worker we sometimes go away on youth weekends and stay in a large house with a pool and we are not allowed to use the pool without a trained lifeguard regardless of whether the kids can swim or not due to the fact insurance would not cover us. So I would query it with your childminding insurance but my feeling is you wouldn't be covered. :(

rickysmiths
06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
I'll come and use it!! You lucky thing I would give anything to be able to have a swimming pool especially an indoor one I would be in it every day.

I would use it with minded children as long as it was ok with my insurance company and with Ofsted and the parents. What a fab resource to have.

Bumble Beez
06-07-2013, 05:58 AM
ooh thats a hard one.

My first thoughts were, wow, that's great.

Then I thought, what about it being accessible to children? the dangers of ponds pools etc...
and then I thought about cleaning the pool, poo poo wee wee etc....
and then I thought about allergies to pool cleaners, chlorine etc...

And then I stopped thinking because my head hurt....

I'm on the same wavelength as you Koala...first thought fab, then thought more paperwork, permission forms, contacting ofsted, contacting insurance and cleaning.
Although I would use it for personal use without hesitation ;)

Sarah x

maisiemog
06-07-2013, 06:39 AM
I don't think you would be covered insurance wise without a lifeguard. Would be fab if you could manage to sort it so you could use it with mindees and would definitely be a brilliant USP.

How exciting though to have a house with a pool...not that I'm jealous at all!

samb
06-07-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm sure a lifeguard qualification wouldn't be that difficult to achieve anyway if that's what's stopping you? Why don't you query it with ofsted and insurance company and if they say you need to be qualified lifeguard or swimming teacher etc then go for it? Lucky you!

Petshrinklj
06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm still prereg so will see what ofsted say when they do prereg visit. I hadn't thought of maybe doing lifeguard course may investigate that as it'd be useful if my own kids get into trouble.

Petshrinklj
06-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I'll come and use it!! .

Lol anytime mate.

FussyElmo
06-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Lol anytime mate.

Pool party at Petshrinklj's :laughing::laughing:

Petshrinklj
06-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Pool party at Petshrinklj's :laughing::laughing:

Definitely a plan. :clapping:

maisiemog
06-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Even if you do the lifeguard course yourself you would still need somebody else there. A lifeguard is an extra person and all children under 8 need adult supervision (1-1 under 4. 2-1 under 8) plus a qualified lifeguard in a public pool over 1m depth(and as you are being paid to look after them you would come under this ruling!) well that's what I remember from when i did my course...plus it's over £500 for the course now! I looked at doing it again for when we take our guides but decided against it.

samb
07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
When I was nannying the children I looked after had private swimming lessons. They (3 of them) were in the pool with the swimming teacher and there was no one else there- well, me but I was heavily pregnant at the time and not a life guard or anything. Still think it's worth asking the questions and not just presuming it's a no.

TJF
07-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi, Ive got an above ground pool and when ofsted did pre-reg check she said as long as children cannot get into it themselves, then it is a great thing to have for them (thought she'd have a heart attack when she saw it but she saw it as a bonus for the children). We have had to put gate so they cannot get into it unless supervised. I have got a pool policy just stating that the gate will always be locked and they will only go in if supervised one-to-one.. Been too flippin cold to go in, hubby is getting it ready, takes few days to sort out pump etc. x

hectors house
08-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Even if you do the lifeguard course yourself you would still need somebody else there. A lifeguard is an extra person and all children under 8 need adult supervision (1-1 under 4. 2-1 under 8) plus a qualified lifeguard in a public pool over 1m depth(and as you are being paid to look after them you would come under this ruling!) well that's what I remember from when i did my course...plus it's over £500 for the course now! I looked at doing it again for when we take our guides but decided against it.

Private hotels don't have a qualified lifeguard and you wouldn't have to either - obviously you would have to do thorough risk assessments on the room being locked when not in use, storage and correct dilution of chemicials etc.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Lots of questions here:

Most important - are you insured?

If yes then I would

Risk Assess and decide if I was confident enough to use it
Numbers when using it
etc...

Personally I used to go to a pool without a lifeguard with 3 x 2 year olds and am confident in what I was doing.

If a lifeguard is compulsory under insurance I would expect it to be for everyone who goes to an outdoor water play and the beach???

Getting your lifeguard qualification isn't easy and costs a bit but if it enables you to be able to keep the pool then maybe it is worth the time and expense

Let us know how you go with the insurance.

Samijanec
08-07-2013, 07:40 AM
That's a really tricky one, I wouldn't have a clue as to risk assessing that. :(

bindy
08-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I have stayed at places before with swimming pools(nanny years, big houses etc) the rule was two adults at all time, What would happened if something happened to you?