PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox

migimoo
05-07-2013, 10:16 AM
What are the 'rules' regarding chickenpox?

One of my mindees has it going through her house atm....obviously if she seems fit and well I wouldn't exclude her but if spots appear over the weekend then when can I accept her back here?

Koala
05-07-2013, 10:20 AM
For chicken pox, I exclude for minimum of 7 days from appearance of rash, longer if child is still unwell or until spots have dried up, but minimum of 7 days!!

Mrsh3103
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't think there are any specific rules.

I'm happy to take children with chicken pox as all of my family have had it. However if the child is poorly with it then I won't take them.
I will phone the parents of any other child I had that day & check they are ok with me having the child with c/p whilst their child is in my care.

When my ds had chicken pox the dr said they are contagious up until the spots scab over. They are also contagious for up to 7 days before the spots come out. If they were going to pass it on its likely to have happened before any spots appeared anyway.

Twinkling Stars
05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
This one is tricky. People say so many different things. I always stick with until they have dried up. A school a mindee goes to say five days. But on the 5th day she was still coming out with them and they were still weeping. The school let her attend! I didnt until they dried up. X

Kes74
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
How funny this has been posted today....I have just logged on to ask a chicken pox question, and found this! One of my mindees has come down with it this week too, presumably it's ok to tell the other parents if I'm careful about confidentiality? They need to know, don't they, or at least I would want to know if it was me! x

shortstuff
05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
DS has come home with CP yesterday, i let all families know and they all still want to send LOs. even the family of three under 4's as they havent had it yet but want it out of the way x

Bumble Beez
05-07-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

See the above link for exclusion etc for lots of different illnesses...I keep one just for reference.
This states 5 day exclusion, however I ask for exclusion until spots are dried up :)

Sarah x

migimoo
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all of your replies....still no spots and she's happy as usual so maybe they're going to pass her by?

Samijanec
08-07-2013, 06:39 PM
When my eldest daughter was young she got them seven years in a row so it's a myth that once they've had hem they are ok.

I think most allow them as long as they aren't unwell and the other mindees parents don't mind.
I myself don't know how I'd react as my hubby has never had them and he's 45 :( ( he's a second hubby so wasn't there when my eldest had hem)

migimoo
09-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I've never had them myself even though my 2 children slept with me when all poorly and spotty and i've worked in childcare for nearly 13 years now....I must be immune!

charlottenash
09-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Some people have it so mild it goes unnoticed so maybe you have had it without knowing :)