PDA

View Full Version : Mums put me as emergency contact at school

skatie
04-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I look after two sisters. One will be going to school in September, and had a morning at her new school today. Mum came round to pick little sister up and dropped into the conversation that she has put me as emergency contact at school?! I was a little blown away so didn't rally say anything plus LO was having a tantrum over our conversation. I'm not sure how I feel as I understand mum works over an hour away and doesn't have any family nearby to help but do I want an ill child in my setting until she is collected and do I want to be inconvenienced by picking the child up from school in the event she is I'll? Just feel like mum is taking the pee as I ll also be emergency contact to LO that starts nursery in Sept. should I put a contract in place that allows me to charge in the event I do have to collect and charge extra for he inconvenience. Anyone else in this situation or am I the only mug?

shortstuff
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I would say that you need to have a chat with mum about getting your name removed. The school will call you and make you feel bad if you say you will not collect.

You cant risk collecting a child with an illness eg d&v and having to close in addition to passing it on to other mindees and your family.

lizduncan72
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't want to be first contact for a child however I am third in line ( after dad and nana!!) for my mindee who starts nursery in August. I have a very good relationship with the school and nursery and they know that I won't collect him if he is ill so will phone dad first however if school was to close for any reason they would phone me first as I would have to get DS anyway and dad works an hour away so it's easier for me to collect.

WibbleWobble
04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't want to be first contact for a child however I am third in line ( after dad and nana!!) for my mindee who starts nursery in August. I have a very good relationship with the school and nursery and they know that I won't collect him if he is ill so will phone dad first however if school was to close for any reason they would phone me first as I would have to get DS anyway and dad works an hour away so it's easier for me to collect.

i am third in line for Beachgirl29's daughter......if they cant get mum or dad chances are i will know where they are (mum usually with me.......)

wibble x

Kiddleywinks
04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I am an emergency contact but I asked for there to be a note put on saying 'not for illness collection' - Thankfully, I have a good relationship with the school so they have complied

Bumble Beez
05-07-2013, 05:30 AM
I am an emergency contact but I asked for there to be a note put on saying 'not for illness collection' - Thankfully, I have a good relationship with the school so they have complied

I've got the same with a couple of families...school understand that with illness I can't help but school closures etc are fine.

Sarah x

jillplum
05-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I am emergency contact for all my schoolies. Dont collect for illness but I do collect if they have fallen and are upset or if school has to close due to snow etc. I live 2minutes walk from the school.

vals
05-07-2013, 12:49 PM
In my sickness policy I have a line that says I am not the emergency contact for school and cannot collect if a child is ill.

The Juggler
05-07-2013, 12:54 PM
emergency contact often means who they call after parents have been called and not available rather than first contact - at least most of the forms I complete mean that. Most schools etc. insist on having an alternative written on the form - but just explain to mum and school that you won't be collecting in the case of an accident or sickness :thumbsup: I've been called but just to ask if I have alternative numbers for mum and dad - landlines etc. rather than ask me to collect cos they know i won't.

caz3007
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I am the 3rd contact on LO's nursery form, and mum knows its just in an emergency as there are others who could collect her before me.

I was 3rd on a list before for an after schoolie and the school rang and said they had rung me cos mum works and he was being sick. Ummmm put them straight about that and mum was angry that they hadnt rung her first