PDA

View Full Version : crying at home time

yummyripples
04-07-2013, 05:05 PM
I have a little girl who cries when it's time to go home. She clings to me and shouts no. I know it's not me she wants (although we do have a good relationship) it's the toys and the garden, my children and the hustle and bustle of my house. She is an only child to a single parent so her house is quiet. I know it upsets mum and I am bit worried that she may take her away and put her in a nursery so that she is not as attached - this is what someone advised her.
Any ideas what I can do or say to help mum?

sarah707
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Maybe help the child to manage the transition without crying ... shoes and coat on, lots of positive 'home' stories, praise for being independent, talk about the fun s/he will have at home, let child borrow a favourite game to play at home or similar ... things like that :D

Helen79
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Could you try a travelling teddy that she can take home with her.

yummyripples
04-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Ooh that's given me an idea - I can send a little task home - colouring or something x thanks

Maza
04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
My one year old mindee went through this phase and I know it was getting to mum. We tried to do a no nonsense, quick hand over. Dad came with her some times and he would take the baby from me and then hand him to mum. He didn't get upset this way - maybe he could sense mum's anxiety. I just used to play it down and eventually the phase passed, like all phases do! One thing I did do, was make a huge point of telling mum how he was crying and calling out for mummy when he was ill one day. She was obviously sad that he was ill but I could tell that she was secretly touched by the fact that it was her he wanted in his hour of need. x