PDA

View Full Version : Table cover

Petshrinklj
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
As part of my cypop5 course I've been reading about keeping my home safe. One of things in the book said not to have a tablecover. I do have a table cover and i want to keep my table cover to protect the table. All my children have survived with me having a table cover. :rolleyes: I dont see it as a big risk. If a kid was to yank the table cover off the worse that could happen is they'd get a table cover on their head. I don't have anything heavy or hot on the table. Why is it problem? Does anyone else keep their table cover on?

Jenna
04-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm in Wales and I have a table cloth on. I wouldn't b without it for minding no matter what they spill it wipes up easily a few times one little boy had tried to pulled it off when sat at table however I just used a firm voice and explain not too he doesn't bother with it anymore. Like u said I don't put anything hot on the table when the children are here all that's on it is their meals, drinks and such like so the worst that could happen is them end up covered in dinner or a drink which could happen any way with youngsters

Carol
04-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I have a table heat protector cover on cut to the same size as table

Carol

sing-low
04-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Tablecloth clips! I bought plastic ones but they'll have to be replaced with metal ones as half have broken :( Our tablecloth has a map of the world on it so is part of my Understanding the World and I wasn't getting rid of it. Mrs O didn't comment at my pre-reg.

Helen Dempster
04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
If you don't keep anything on your table then it's not a problem. It's just in case they yank the tablecloth and all the heavy/hot/dangerous items fall on their lil' heads x

Helen79
04-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I have the plastic wipe clean table cloth, my table would be ruined by now with paint and pens if I didn't have one. I don't have anything heavy in the table though like fruit bowl though.
How are children supposed to learn boundaries and risks if we take away everything that might cause an accident.

Bumble Beez
04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I've got a soft cloth first, then a plastic wipeable one on top and tablecloth clips too...metal ones which are shaped like hands!
Ofsted never commented about it so I'm happy!

Sarah x

clareelizabeth1
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
My table was hand made by my great grandfather. There really is not another one like it in the world. There is no way i would let the children use it without a cover. I put one on just when mindies are here when they have gone home and its just family we show off my great grandfathers work.

If i weren't allowed to use a table cloth mindies would be having a picnic every day.

Jiorjiina
05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a table cover, and Ofsted never said anything to me about it. Apart from the fact that I quite like my table and don't want to to get covered in ground in food, paint, glue, glitter and so on, teaching them not to play with the table cloth is part of teaching them table manners.

Petshrinklj
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone. That's one less thing for me to worry about. My table cover is staying :)

emma04
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Killer table cloths!!!!!..........Whatever next!!!!!

Being alive is dangerous at times!! Lets all wrap ourselves in bubble plastic and hide in a cupboard! Then we'll all be safe........but totally insane!!

kellyskidz!
05-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Glad I saw this, I've literally ordered a quite expensive oak table yesterday and was um-ing and ah-ing over weather to or not til my OH suggested buying a table cloth for when the kids are here and taking it off each night.
I'm not a house snob (you can't be really in this job) but I thought if I get a more expensive one it'll last longer, but the kids might get food and paint and god knows what else on it.
Wont be putting anything heavy on the table though, tbh I didn't even think about them pulling it off but now I'll be on full alert.
Table cloths to the rescue!!

Jiorjiina
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Killer table cloths!!!!!..........Whatever next!!!!!

Being alive is dangerous at times!! Lets all wrap ourselves in bubble plastic and hide in a cupboard! Then we'll all be safe........but totally insane!!

But don't forget to leave a breathing hole in the bubble wrap and to go outside for part of the day so you don't end up with a vitamin D deficiency and rickets!