PDA

View Full Version : Can Ofsted ask to look at children's safeguarding files?

butterfly
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I keep safeguarding files on certain children. These contain any notes I might make about small safeguarding concerns which aren't big enough for a referral but may build up to a picture needed later. I also put in there the records of previous injuries eg the ones you fill out when a child arrives with an injury. I just wondered if Ofsted can ask to see these at an inspection. My gut feeling is no - they are 'need to know' notes and would only be used if I wanted to make a safeguarding report but I wasn't sure as they seem to want to have access to everything!

Does anyone know the definitive answer?

QualityCare
04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
As they are not an ofsted requirement then there is no need for them to know that you do these files.

butterfly
04-07-2013, 03:23 PM
we are supposed to make records of previous injuries though so would they ask to see those?

rickysmiths
04-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes because they should be filed with Accident/Incident and Medication forms. I would say they are able to look at all of these because they are all covered in the Welfare Requirements of EYFS and are therefore Statutory. Ofsted inspect us against the Welfare requirements.

Really the only thing that Ofsted are not permitted to look at are your financial records and your Contracts with the parents.

The children't parents are also allowed to see any records you hold on their child.

Mouse
04-07-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure if you're allowed to make secret files on mindees. I though everything had to be accessible to parents, unless the was a real risk of a child being in danger because of your concerns.

butterfly
04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
They're not secret just separate from their usual files. At safeguarding training we were told that parents had to give notice (I can't remember how many days) if they wished to see safeguarding information on their children.

butterfly
04-07-2013, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=rickysmiths;1271332]Yes because they should be filed with Accident/Incident and Medication forms. I would say they are able to look at all of these because they are all covered in the Welfare Requirements of EYFS and are therefore Statutory.

In our area we've been told that accident/incident and medication forms can all be filed within the children's individual files - they don't have to be kept together.

rickysmiths
04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=rickysmiths;1271332]Yes because they should be filed with Accident/Incident and Medication forms. I would say they are able to look at all of these because they are all covered in the Welfare Requirements of EYFS and are therefore Statutory.

In our area we've been told that accident/incident and medication forms can all be filed within the children's individual files - they don't have to be kept together.

It doesn't matter where they are kept it is the fact that Ofsted may access them. I happen to use the pacey Folder and always have. I only put each child's records in their folder when they leave me and they are archived.

butterfly
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks for that Ricky. I just have to decide whether to separate them from safeguarding notes or not depending on whether Ofsted will want to/should look at them.

SYLVIA
04-07-2013, 03:47 PM
They're not secret just separate from their usual files. At safeguarding training we were told that parents had to give notice (I can't remember how many days) if they wished to see safeguarding information on their children.

At safeguarding last week we were told 14 days written notice from parents if they want to see this type of folder.

butterfly
04-07-2013, 03:52 PM
At safeguarding last week we were told 14 days written notice from parents if they want to see this type of folder.

Thanks Sylvia - that's what I thought but then I started doubting myself!