PDA

View Full Version : Nurseries adopt 'no kissing' policy

Simona
04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
whatever next... children should be heard but not seen?

Nurseries adopt (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1560390/nurseries-adopt-no-kissing-policy-to-protect-staff-from-being-accused-of-abuse#.UdVEMNeI1cM.twitter)

migimoo
04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
How sad that this is even an issue.
I can see that they are covering their own backs but on a personal level all of my parents have said that the fact that you would think that my mindees were my own was a deciding factor in choosing me....and that means LOTS of kisses and cuddles!!

Mouse
04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
That's really quite sad.

I have a mindee come to me who had been in a nursery for a while. One of the reasons parents took him out was he was left alone to cry for long periods of time, with no comforting at all. They love it that here he sits on my knee & gets cuddled as much as he wants.

And I dread to even think what would have been the views on the little mindee who used to go to sleep on my knee, fiddling with my bra strap!

Simona
04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I wonder if any of those nurseries have heard of the book 'Why love matters' by Sue Gerhardt and how essential it is to brain development?

or read of the effect lack of love, touch and comfort had on the orphans in Romania who were deprived of any affection which was actually neglect and therefore in breach of the UN Articles 27 and 29 to the right of mental development?

Sad indeed.

rickysmiths
04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Do you know nothing surprises me about Nurseries except that any parents ever send their under threes to them :laughing:

I would also add that I don't really mind either because it is like the Ratios, anything the Nurseries do to shoot themselves in the foot only means potentially more business for me. At the end of the day they are my business rival. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

jackie 7
04-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I have a boy who is 3-5 months behind his peers. I am convinced it is because he is at nursery. Parents starting g to think that as well. He has started to walk so much more since he came to me.

JulieA
05-07-2013, 05:32 AM
What I find interesting is that almost every one of my parents says to the LO on leaving my setting, "Don't forget Julie's kiss and cuddle goodbye." I never ask for a kiss or cuddle, but am very happy to provide throughout the day if the children want to do so. I have one little boy who will kiss me every time I change his nappy and stand him up to go play.

So from my experience the kisses and cuddles are a routine and almost expected part of childcare from both parents and children.

charleyfarley
05-07-2013, 06:17 AM
All I can say is thank goodness I don't work in a nursery!!!

Carol xx

Rubybubbles
05-07-2013, 06:27 AM
How sad :-(

As someone else said most my parents say say bye to ruby, and they give me a kids (children not parents haha, although mum of my full timer said see you tomorrow, bye darling last night hahaha!)

Hugs and kisses given here, and If they want a smackers on the lips I will! Lo 19 months is always running up to me giving me a kiss then runs back to his play

Kiddleywinks
05-07-2013, 06:42 AM
How is a child going to form positive attachments if they feel they're being rejected by their carer :panic:

We regularly have cuddles and kisses, and pet names for each other, and all the other things that form a bond.
Yes, it's a job that we do, but that doesn't mean the children should be treated as a 'business' and their emotional needs dismissed or pushed away
Makes me want to cry :crying:

bunyip
05-07-2013, 07:16 AM
To be fair, I wouldn't kiss any of the local nursery workers either. :rolleyes:

Munters :p

Simona
05-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Hard to catch their attention...let alone engage in cuddles and kisses????

I see them taking the children out in one of those horrific large prams or whatever they are called...there is never any interaction between carers and children...so may be children will have to be content with being blown a kiss...catch it if you can!

WibbleWobble

They may feel the same about you!

Wibble x

FussyElmo

On phone so cant add smilies.

But im crying with laughter :-D

Bear23
05-07-2013, 07:25 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

bunyip
05-07-2013, 07:29 AM
They may feel the same about you!

Wibble x

:ROFL1::ROFL1:

There are no prizes for stating the obvious, Wibble. :laughing:

Dilly Daydream
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Made me choke on my coffee :-)

Rubybubbles
05-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Heehee made me smile

rickysmiths
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Hard to catch their attention...let alone engage in cuddles and kisses????

I see them taking the children out in one of those horrific large prams or whatever they are called...there is never any interaction between carers and children...so may be children will have to be content with being blown a kiss...catch it if you can!

Yes it is horrible the way they don't interact. We see them walking up our High Street chatting to each other 10 to the 12 and munching on their sticky buns but not talking to the children. It amazes that parents every use the Nursery because they see them walking up and down the High Street as well. Sad thing is if they walked as far in the opposite direction they would be in a wonderful park which has 3 lakes, 3 rivers and a canal running through it and a large play area.

We love going down there on a Friday morning to watch the retired gentlemen race their remote controlled yachts :laughing: The children love it and they talk to them about the yachts.

I had a lovely connection made yesterday by a 2 yr old. He had been playing with the magnetic fishing game and told me he was fishing. I asked him if he had seen anyone fishing and instantly he said in the Aquadrome. What a same the local Nursery Children don't have the chance to make thse connections except with their parents.

Simona
05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
I do agree ...in my areas there are parks everywhere...think of the good exercise those kids could get running around instead of being pushed in carts or walking themselves instead of being 'roped' to those contraptions they use to keep them all together

I even saw one with a poster on it saying: please do not talk to the children...can't remember what the reason was? but utterly ridiculous!!!

So..no kissing, no talking and no walking...surely that gets those nurseries downgraded??

kellyskidz!
05-07-2013, 12:47 PM
This is so sad!
What are they supposed to do if a child leans towards them for a cuddle or kiss, push them away and say 'no, I'm afraid that is against the rules?'
Starving the poor kids of affection IMO
My mindees are always kissing me, especially babies who's mums teach them to hug and kiss goodbye and when they grasp it they kiss everyone and everything in sight! I have a one yo who rests her head on my shoulder then smacks her lips together for kisses and squeals with delight when she gets one, how awful if I had to deny her that! For the sake of some silly rules made up by people who clearly don't work closely with children

kellyskidz!
05-07-2013, 12:48 PM

:ROFL1::ROFL1::ROFL1::ROFL1::ROFL1::ROFL1:

Supernanny86
05-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Hahahahahaha!!

Ripeberry
05-07-2013, 01:06 PM
I do agree ...in my areas there are parks everywhere...think of the good exercise those kids could get running around instead of being pushed in carts or walking themselves instead of being 'roped' to those contraptions they use to keep them all together

I even saw one with a poster on it saying: please do not talk to the children...can't remember what the reason was? but utterly ridiculous!!!

So..no kissing, no talking and no walking...surely that gets those nurseries downgraded??

Sounds like a prison chain gang!