PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of childminding

JuCjones
04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi

I've been trying to leave childminding for 2 years, since getting my BA education, now I have a MA childhood and youth studies and am still coming up against the childminding wall.

Has anyone else experienced this? No matter how qualified you are, a huge amount of experiance and skills as soon as the person interviewing realises that your a childminder they change completely towards you and are more or less pushing you out the door, whereas before that they were very interested in you??

I've been on 10 interviews and it has happened on all but 1 job, and that was for a temp, part time assistant which was a 1/3 of the money I'm on now so had to turn it down ( to be honest they were desperate and would have offered it to the cleaner if she would have taken a cut in pay)

Is it me? Am I paranoid? Is there such a thing as the childminding trap??

Any thoughts?
Julia

Wheelybug
04-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Hmmm interesting, I don't know. I'm looking to leave childminding in a couple of years (if I manage to stick it that long!) and I suppose I'm very conscious of the perception alot of people have about childminders. Although I'm studying for a degree in Childhood and Youth, I'm also about to start voluntary work in the area I would like to move into as I think I don't stand a chance unless I have some practical experience. I suppose it depends on what you are looking to do and how much experience you already have. If the job market is competitive I think experience accounts for alot, as well as education. That said, if its very similar to childminding, I don't think I'd be surprised if you were finding a childminding wall. I don't think people really understand what we do and I think the fact we also work alone, rather than being seen as a positive (the fact we are responsible for everything) is often seen as a negative.

Cathy

sing-low
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Can you re-brand yourself as an "Early years professional"?

JuCjones
04-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Can you re-brand yourself as an "Early years professional"?

I've tried the lot 'early years professional' 'Childcare manager' 'owner/manager' 'early years educator' nothing seems to get through the wall

I've even been told by a recruitment agent that if a CV says anything like childminder on it it will be discarded immediately and to avoid putting the word childminder on your CV (rude)

I am also a freelance Childcare writer and have now started to pretend to have stopped childminding and to only have the writing as my job, which is a lie and I hate it, I shouldn't need to do that :(

I'm not ashamed of what I am, actually I'm very proud but it seems to be preventing me moving forward :(

Jayse74
05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Today's fun and games has broken the camels back and I want to start looking for a 9-5 job. I have worked with my partner as her assistant for a fair number of years now, so basically the moment employers find out I have worked with a childminder I am stuffed! I do not understand why employers would do this?

Im really sorry to hear you have been treated so bad :(

FussyElmo
05-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I know a few forum members have left childminding and gone onto other childcare jobs so I don't necessarily believe its because you are a childminder :)

Daisy De
05-07-2013, 03:51 PM
So why do you think it is Julia? Never heard of this before and its a bit worrying, what don't employers like then about being a childminder previously?

JuCjones
12-07-2013, 08:25 PM
So why do you think it is Julia? Never heard of this before and its a bit worrying, what don't employers like then about being a childminder previously?

Hi
The reasons I've been told is they view it as "not a proper job, just stay at home mums who charge other mums" also we have no experience of working in groups, with limited experience of working with other organisations.
It is something I've been aware of previously but hadn't experienced it until I decided to look for a job after my BA.
Ill just keep on going until I find an employer that is open minded and brave enough to give me a go. The thing is you'd think I'd easily get a position in education with a BA in education and a MA in childhood and youth, but I couldn't even get a classroom assistants position because I didn't have enough experience!!!! Really!!!!

Daisy De
12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi
The reasons I've been told is they view it as "not a proper job, just stay at home mums who charge other mums" also we have no experience of working in groups, with limited experience of working with other organisations.
It is something I've been aware of previously but hadn't experienced it until I decided to look for a job after my BA.
Ill just keep on going until I find an employer that is open minded and brave enough to give me a go. The thing is you'd think I'd easily get a position in education with a BA in education and a MA in childhood and youth, but I couldn't even get a classroom assistants position because I didn't have enough experience!!!! Really!!!!

I had no idea seems absolutely ridiculous. I wish you luck in eventually finding something suitable or an employer who actually knows what childminders do.