PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted: strong leadership is key to being ready for school

Simona
04-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Do you agree with Wilshaw's statement?

Ofsted: 'Strong leadership' in early years key to being ready for school | Nursery World (http://ht.ly/mCwTB)

also look at this
Ofsted | Getting it right first time: achieving and maintaining high-quality early years provision (http://ht.ly/mCx1m)

If self evaluation is key why is the SEF not compulsory?
why again mention cms when 71% have high grades? why not address the areas where cms do poorly and research whether this is due to lack of LA support?

The man is driving his message that cms are not good and that is a very biased view and we know why

bunyip
04-07-2013, 08:49 AM
I got sick of the "strong leadership" argument in the 80's when it was being used to justify the casual selfishness and destruction that was Thatcherism. It's the first defense of bullies. :mad:

If "strong leadership" is important, then in a straight run-off between Hitler, Stalin and Father Christmas, the nice man in the red suit would stand no chance. But which of the 3 would you rather provide a knee for your lo's to sit upon? :huh:

Simona
04-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Well ...I am glad someone has strong feelings about this as well...thank you Bunyip

Can anybody explain how 'strong leadership' actually helps children develop school readiness when we know full well that it is a natural progress when children achieve 'emotional intelligence' which does not happen at 3 let alone 2 years of age .....and when it is allowed to develop through play and childhood and not hurry children through the school doors to save parents childcare costs?

As for having aspirations for children ..Wilshaw ought to reflect at his own aspirations and leadership skills ...all he is doing is rubbing the workforce the wrong way
A truly inspiring and reflective leader does not criticise but encourages improvement by praising achievements and encouraging further improvement via engagement and self reflection

The man is totally out of control!

bunyip
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Is this where "strong leadership" gets many of the world's children? The Charity for Children affected by War | War Child (http://www.warchild.org.uk/)

Actually, it's probably what our heavily-militarised wants. :(

Chatterbox Childcare
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
I am reading this and agreeing with a lot of what he is saying.

Strong Leadership - this applies to my setting to - I am organised and planning is done so to me I am a strong leader as children learn and flourish because of it

Are you mistaking SEF as self evaluation? We all evaluate our practice and how to improve

He is saying that those not ready for school come mostly from deprived areas and this is where childminders are mentioned.

I do agree that he could look at other childminder settings, especially those with EYP and compare to get a level playing field

Overall I think the report is good (only got as far as the teaching bit as I got bored!)

Smiley
04-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I think that the 'ready for school' mantra is giving different messages. Most people and may be more so, those not working in early years would think it is prep for beginning school reception class or F2 as some are referred to. However, we've all read about ready for school being year 1

rickysmiths
04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Do you agree with Wilshaw's statement?

Ofsted: 'Strong leadership' in early years key to being ready for school | Nursery World (http://ht.ly/mCwTB)

also look at this
Ofsted | Getting it right first time: achieving and maintaining high-quality early years provision (http://ht.ly/mCx1m)

If self evaluation is key why is the SEF not compulsory?
why again mention cms when 71% have high grades? why not address the areas where cms do poorly and research whether this is due to lack of LA support?

The man is driving his message that cms are not good and that is a very biased view and we know why

I think you may be confusing the two things Simona. As an interesting point schools no longer have to complete a SEF.

I have never completed a SEF and never will it is as far as I am concerned a waste of my time duplicating what I already do in spade fulls. I self assess and evaluate my practice every day all the time in many different ways. It is vital to maintaining good practice and good outcomes for the children in my care.

Just as strong management is vital. Maybe a term more suited to a Nursery environment, but just the same for a childminder. If I wasn't organised, if I didn't have the correct paperwork completed, no planning or preparation, my days would be chaos and that would not be conducive to the children in my care gaining a good experience. If I worked with an assistant I would need to make sure they were correctly trained and that was kept up to date, I would need to provide a pleasant work environment for them and adequate breaks, I would need to provide pay slips and complete all the required HMRC paperwork fro them each month, make sure they got the holidays they need, include them in the planning for the day/week/month so that the business ran smoothly and the children in our care got the best.

Simona
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I am not confused at all and let me tell you why...because you interpreted my statement wrong
I did study L&M at university for my degree and have several books on the subject which were quoted for the essay..so I can say I am fairly ok on the subject as a cm I lead as well as manage my setting!