PDA

View Full Version : Forming an Independent Network

hectors house
03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Just been to a meeting in my town about forming an Independent Childminders Network - only about 38 childminders left in town now (population of nearly 30,000) only about 12 people came to the meeting (The current DO, who is shortly being made redudant emailed the details to all childminders).

The plan is to form a Network/web site to deal with vacancies, marketing, training and to offer peer support to each other - similar as an agency would offer but without having to lose our Ofsted inspection grades or a percentage of our wages!

Are we allowed to use the word "Network" as in childminding it is generally used for a group of accredited childminders, who offer Nursery funding and meet certain criteria?

Any suggestions on how we can set this up - there was a cost mentioned of about £30 a year to cover expenses, some of this money would go towards sending a couple of members on training courses and then they would feed back the information (obviously not courses like First Aid or Safeguarding), more like courses on Schemas, Observations etc

I said I would be the person who e-mails people with important changes in legislation as not all the childminders are forum members.

Does anyone else belong to a network like this?

karensmart4
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Sorry can't help you but will be very interested in any replies you get as we have lost our LA and have no support network in Somerset.

rickysmiths
03-07-2013, 08:56 PM
We have a Network through our CC which is open for all childminders and is only a place for cms to come together to discuss what they choose. We meet up about 4 times a year.

hectors house
03-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Sorry can't help you but will be very interested in any replies you get as we have lost our LA and have no support network in Somerset.

I'm Somerset too, went to a cluster meeting in Shepton Mallet but it was all geared up for Nursery support (peer to peer support)!

We all want to stay independent and just make sure that if an agency does set up in town that we can stand our own ground with advertising and filling our own vacancies.

Simona
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Just been to a meeting in my town about forming an Independent Childminders Network - only about 38 childminders left in town now (population of nearly 30,000) only about 12 people came to the meeting (The current DO, who is shortly being made redudant emailed the details to all childminders).

The plan is to form a Network/web site to deal with vacancies, marketing, training and to offer peer support to each other - similar as an agency would offer but without having to lose our Ofsted inspection grades or a percentage of our wages!

Are we allowed to use the word "Network" as in childminding it is generally used for a group of accredited childminders, who offer Nursery funding and meet certain criteria?

Any suggestions on how we can set this up - there was a cost mentioned of about £30 a year to cover expenses, some of this money would go towards sending a couple of members on training courses and then they would feed back the information (obviously not courses like First Aid or Safeguarding), more like courses on Schemas, Observations etc

I said I would be the person who e-mails people with important changes in legislation as not all the childminders are forum members.

Does anyone else belong to a network like this?

This is very interesting and worth keeping an eye on

What you are being encouraged to do is to set up some form of peer support because your EY team is soon to disappear
What you call it is entirely up to you...network or independent cms hub or whatever suits you

That is a very good idea because face to face is necessary in addition to any form of support you can get from a forum like this but you cannot 'accredit' each other and give yourselves the right to claim funding...that was up to the LAs who have a network and in future dependent on your grade at inspection.

In future Ofsted will be the sole arbitrer of quality ...but this will be challenged in future I am sure....but you need to have your support recognised because EY teams had the expertise and powers to do so, unless you have an EYP in the team?

Some LAs will remain while others will no longer be...that is not a viable solution as cms would have no support and this issue needs to be raised as cms cannot be left to fend for themselves in between inspections and coping with all the changes

Until we know exactly what is left in each LA it is difficult to decide as some LAs will still be there for cms, at a cost maybe, while others will go, funding has been cut but further cuts will come in 2015 so I worry that some LAs are withdrawing support for cms now while others will continue to offer it...it is a crazy situation driven by the DfE to cut costs rather than raise quality

Again this will be an issue for the representing associations to be aware of and we must bring it to their attention without delay...I will certainly raise it.

Thank you for sharing this

sarah707
04-07-2013, 06:49 AM
We are trying to get local minders to join a FB group as a starting point to working together - with limited success - there's a lot of apathy :(

Those of us who do belong want to support each other so there's no need for anyone to go dashing off to join anything.

I'm not sure about network - I think that might be misunderstood - you could use 'group' or something similar??

We'll keep plugging on! :D

Simona
04-07-2013, 07:40 AM
The word NETWORK will always be associated with pacey CCF or LA's own, however, the networks are not standard as we know and each reflect local conditions set by the LA itself...that is if the LA has a network to start with!
In some LAs the network is open to all while in others it is not an 'inclusive' set up and there is no clear indication to what will happen to them in future

Online support for me is in addition to what cms need 'face to face'...for instance you could never organize cover or emergency on a forum or facebook or give hands on advice unless you have access to a cm whose practice needs tangible help: hands on...you could never run to the aid of a cm who suddenly has an emergency situation where physical presence is required by a colleague who is close by.

Online chats are part of CPD but meetings/contact are also needed to avoid isolation...nothing wrong with FB or forums but they are not a replacement, a local 'hub' (not keen on that word either) of cms is needed

I would like to see networks disappear and replaced by something that 'embraces' all cms at local level...think about it this way: neither preschools or nurseries need to belong to a network to access training/support/funding so why should it be that way for cms?

My worry at present is that I get nothing from my LA that does not mention CCentres as they have become their focus and cms are certainly taking second place

The major problem is getting cms who are really disinterested in participating and joining such a group

If ...and I say IF...agencies are abandoned then the word 'independent' will become redundant...so think imaginatively on what you wish to be known as, what will matter is that we remain Ofsted registered.

karensmart4
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm Somerset too, went to a cluster meeting in Shepton Mallet but it was all geared up for Nursery support (peer to peer support)!

We all want to stay independent and just make sure that if an agency does set up in town that we can stand our own ground with advertising and filling our own vacancies.

Whereabouts in Somerset are you? I'm in Burnham on Sea :)