PDA

View Full Version : Gloves - for nappy changing and bot wiping?....and don't get me started on aprons....

VeggieSausage
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
If we are using gloves for nappy changing does this mean we should have gloves in the loo for bottom wiping etc?....and does anyone use plastic aprons for anything? when I had my assessor for my level 3 around she told me I should wear a plastic apron for changing nappies, I asked what is the thinking behind this and she said in case you and they transmit HIV - never heard such nonsense - what is the risk from my clothes of transmitting HIV....mmm not sure she said....opinions please everyone....

Have gone hygiene crazy this week - think my dh may combust with the amount of plastic gloves, first aid supplies, paper towels etc that I have ordered and been delivered this week... :laughing:

moggy
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't use gloves for nappy changes. A lot of people don't, it is a personal choice it is not a requirement. I hate the waste, nasty for the environment.

munch149
03-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't tend to mostly but keep some spare for when a child is ill in my care as don't want to spread bugs around

karensmart4
03-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I keep gloves in the bathroom for bottom wiping :)

I don't use plastic aprons and never heard of that reasoning as to why we should ..... BUT... we should wear aprons/tabards to deal with food as good practice if we don't wear aprons when changing bums (Collage Assessor for our students said this a few weeks ago and thinking about it I suppose she's right).

I wish a nice cleaning fairy would come into my house, I'm getting tired of cleaning and sterilising every day :blush:

JCrakers
03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm naughty and don't use aprons or gloves. I've been working with kids for nearly 20yrs and poo doesn't bother me at all.

Mrs o didn't ask me and I didn't mention it. If she mentions it next time she can do one.
I do understand the importance of hygiene and cross contamination and always antibac afterwards.

Where will it end? Using them for our own toileting?

And who gets their clothes close to a bum anyway.... ? I keep mine well out of the way

mrstom
03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry but I offer a home from home environment not a nursery. I would never have dreamed of wearing rubber gloves (or aprons for that matter) to change my own children's nappies. Before being a childminder I changed the nappies of my sister, niece and the babies of friends. I wouldn't wear gloves for that and I don't now.

I'll probably be pulled up by Ofsted for it (when my inspection finally happens!) but anti-bac on the changing mat and flipping it over between each child combined with a good soapy hand wash in hot water afterwards does it for me.

And don't get me started on plastic aprons...

mrstom
03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I keep gloves in the bathroom for bottom wiping :)

I don't use plastic aprons and never heard of that reasoning as to why we should ..... BUT... we should wear aprons/tabards to deal with food as good practice if we don't wear aprons when changing bums (Collage Assessor for our students said this a few weeks ago and thinking about it I suppose she's right).

I wish a nice cleaning fairy would come into my house, I'm getting tired of cleaning and sterilising every day :blush:

I always wear an apron when dealing with food, even with my own family. Protects my clothes from splatters more than for hygiene reasons (drives me crazy when they don't wear them on Come Dine With Me!)

MessybutHappy
03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Loving the idea of getting your clothes close to a bum!! He he!!

I have gloves available and use if I'm a little bit suspicious...normally I don't bother though.

Nurseries use aprons, but they change lots of bottoms and don't change the apron between each child so I'm not sure who they're protecting!!

(I use gloves most when I'm polishing shoes tbh, I hate shoe polish!!!)

greanan
03-07-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't use aprons it wipes and never will.

rickysmiths
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Well I have been childminding for 19 years and I have never worn an apron for changing a nappy and I have never got poop on my clothes.

I have learnt something tonight because I never knew HIV was transmitted via clothes and that wearing an apron would minimize its spread. :laughing:

That Assessor should be reported, seriously, what a load of bunkum and dangerous bunkum.

I do have a few gloves in the down stair toilet but for clearing up an spillages. I do use one glove to change a poo nappy but not a wet one.

I have never used antibac spray though I do have wipes for the changing mat and I have them in my going out bag to wipe down a high chair or table.

jackie 7
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
I use gloves for poo or if I am worried about a child spreading v and d. This is just me. I get them from gompels and they are the cheapest. (When I put in cheapest first it came up as cheese burger ) .

Memina
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
I started using gloves when I fell pregnant and that sickness bug was lingering.

Its become part of my routine but then again my hubby is ocd with cleanliness so everyone in my house us antubaced within an inch of thier life.

Mrs Scrubbit
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I've always used gloves for soiled nappy changes and bottom wiping xx

bindy
03-07-2013, 09:46 PM
I always use gloves and was told I had too, something to do with live vaccine and TB. Anyway I have got used to it and now prefer. Not for my own child though!

Jiorjiina
03-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Your assessor was wrong. First of all, parents are not required to inform a childcare setting or school if their child has HIV, so if you don't even know if a child has it or not there's very little point in wearing an apron to stop the transmission of it.

Secondly, if basic good hygiene is good enough to stop the potential spread of HIV while giving someone first aid, then it's good enough to stop the potential spread of it when changing a nappy. When you don;t even come into contact with the bodily fluids that contain the virus.

The booklet HIV in schools: Good practice guide (http://ncb.org.uk/media/908909/hiv_in_schools.pdf) is good, though obviously it is aimed at schools. I don't see why some of it couldn't equally apply to childcare settings through.

By the way, I don't have aprons, but I do have gloves in case of a really explodey nappy.

covgalxxx
03-07-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm pre reg so no kids yet, but I was a home carer and I had to do were gloves and aprons to old people, now gloves I understand but aprons I never did, I got hot and sweaty in them and they got in the way I never used them unless I was bathing, or cleaning or sick or poo , and that was only on a drunk old man,but at home why would you if a child is sick the apron is going to get in the way, so I'm going to keep some gloves for emergency but that's it...