PDA

View Full Version : Child wont eat !

jashol
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Mum sends lo with pack lunch lo will eat crisps jelly yogurts biscuits but when mum did sandwich ham said didn't like it now mum sending lunch ables lo won't eat them either !! Do I just let him eat the junk or try get lo to eat sandwiches ect as lo be full time school soon not sure what to do mum not very helpful and if lo says doesn't like them mum rolls eyes and says he can be sat up to hour with same bit food !

AliceK
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Sounds like my DD (5 yrs) . She really doesn't like sandwiches (or much else actually). She will happily sit in the lunch hall at school for the whole hour and still not eat the bits in her lunch that she doesn't want. Now I give her plain pasta most days (her choice) along with fruit, crisps, yogurt, biscuit. She will eat all of that usually within the half hour allowed.
There's no point you stressing about it but maybe mum could try some alternatives other than just bread / crackers.

xxxxx

FizzWizz
03-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I think in this situation, as mum is providing the lunch, I would go with whatever she wanted me to do on this one.

From a personal point of view my own children would not be allowed the other things until they had eaten the sandwich but then again if I knew they really didn't like sandwiches then I would not send them but try to find an alternative - pitta, crackers, rivetta? Maybe suggest some of these to mum although I know some children are fussier than others...

little chickee
03-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I would get mum to put a bit of effort into putting different things in the lunch to see if you can hit upon something he will eat.

I would not want a child ( mine or someone elses) to be just having crisps and biscuits etc.

I have an almost 3 yo mindee who has always refused any kind of fruit.
Mum sends fruit for his brother and a sugary snack thing for non fruit eater.
I didnt think this was particulary fair so the last 3 weeks snack has been fruit for everyone with a "treat" if fruit is eaten.

Mindee has gone from screaming the place down and pushing plate away to sitting sulking but quiet to this week on Monday eating 2 slices of banana to today a whole banana!

So i'm a beleiver in being consistant and sticking to your guns.

bindy
03-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I would get mum to put a bit of effort into putting different things in the lunch to see if you can hit upon something he will eat.

I would not want a child ( mine or someone elses) to be just having crisps and biscuits etc.

I have an almost 3 yo mindee who has always refused any kind of fruit.
Mum sends fruit for his brother and a sugary snack thing for non fruit eater.
I didnt think this was particulary fair so the last 3 weeks snack has been fruit for everyone with a "treat" if fruit is eaten.

Mindee has gone from screaming the place down and pushing plate away to sitting sulking but quiet to this week on Monday eating 2 slices of banana to today a whole banana!

So i'm a beleiver in being consistant and sticking to your guns.

This could also back fire and put kid of fruit for life too! Not my way, but it worked for you !

ziggy
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
I have done same thing for 34 yrs. If child eats sandwich or at least a quarter i offer other bits. If not child is lifted down from table without a fuss and lunch taken away.

Has always worked for me.

as mentioned maybe child doesnt like sandwiches, so would try pasta or soup but wouldnt allow just junk for lunch

little chickee
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
This could also back fire and put kid of fruit for life too! Not my way, but it worked for you !

He is going to nursery after October. i know they regulaly have fruit for snack with no alternative offered so i'm preparing him for that.
Wheter he eats the fruit or not is his choice, no dramas either way.

He already was "off" fruit so i don't think i've got anything to lose, and hes got a new love of banana to gain!

Helen79
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
I have done same thing for 34 yrs. If child eats sandwich or at least a quarter i offer other bits. If not child is lifted down from table without a fuss and lunch taken away.

Has always worked for me.

as mentioned maybe child doesnt like sandwiches, so would try pasta or soup but wouldnt allow just junk for lunch

I do the same as long as it's something that I know that they genuinely dislike.

I'd ask mum to stop sending in jelly, biscuits and crisps. If mindee knows that there's sweet stuff in there and they always get it then there's no incentive to try other foods. I ask parents not to send things like that in as part of my healthy eating policy. I'd ask mum just to send something savoury that they know their child will try a bit of, a piece of fruit and yoghurt. Or if she still insists on sending junk, just take it out before mindee sees it and only offer the healthy parts.

I'd ask mum for a list of everything that mindee will eat and go from there. If it's a case of all they will eat is sweet stuff, then it doesn't sound like a genuinely fussy eater who won't eat or try anything at all, more that mum gives in every meal time so they don't bother trying anything else cos they know they'll get what they want at the end.

cupcakencookie
03-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh poor you - I really sympathize! I look after a 7 yr old who doesn't eat either... luckily Mum usually collects before teatime but the odd occasion he's stayed have been awful! Made a shepherds pie one time with carrots and peas...took one look and told me 'I don't eat potato or meat or gravy or vegetables'. :mad:The other kids ate it and enjoyed it - he stayed hungry! Last time Mum told me to just give him plain pasta which I did and he ate it but I'm not very happy about it - my own children and other mindees have to have healthy balanced meals so I think it is unfair on them to make exceptions. Next time maybe I'll toughen up a bit and tell Mum he has what the other children have or waits till he goes home...