PDA

View Full Version : CYPW L3

Fraggle1
03-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Hello everyone

I was due to have a meeting to discuss starting my L3 on friday but have since had an email saying that the funding has been stopped. She said I could possibly take out a student loan to do it which I'm not 100% sure about and not sure I would apply anyway. Anyway, my question is - what is the likely hood that all existing childminders will have to have at least this in the future? Are they really doing to turn around to me at some point and say "If you don't have this you'll have to give notice" - just wondering how long I've got a job for? lol

mrs robbie williams
03-07-2013, 11:16 AM
i have my level 2 but not 3, but this morning at surestart stay and play i was approached and asked if id be interested in doing my level 3 with them, fully funded :thumbsup: i queried the funding as this can be sometimes for people who claim certain benefits, but he said no we have funding and are encouraging childminders to take part. I dont think we have to have it, but i want to become accredited and do told me i cant until in have level 3

rickysmiths
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
They have been saying for 10 years now that ALL cms will have to have a L3 by...... the first deadline was 2010 and then it was moved and moved. It would be very difficult to impose this training as compulsory for all existing cm. The cost and the availability of the course make it prohibitive.

Do you know in 2001 when Ofsted started to inspect cm the inspectors did not have to be Degree qualified? All Ofsted inspectors have to be Degree qualified now and have been for a few years. When they introduced this entry requirement they did not sack all current inspectors who did not have a degree.

Many years ago the majority of teachers were trained at Teacher Training College and did not have a Degree but a Teaching Certificate. When Teaching was changed to Graduate entry they did not sack all the Certificated Teachers.

They would be very unwise to say if you haven't got a L3 by a certain time we will take you off the register and you can no longer work as a cm. A lot of parents would be left with no childcare! They have already set at least 2 deadlines which have long gone because I think they realise it is not sensible.

I think a lot of us expected the new EYFS to require a min L3 of all new cm but it hasn't. You now have to complete one of the larger modules of the L3 (CYPOP 5) before you can register and it is recommended that you complete the Diploma within the first 3 years of registration..

Carla Watts
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I have just rang my local college about this. its going to cost me £1,200 to do it.

bunyip
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
The level 3 CYPW diploma.

AKA an entire A-level in "Things you shouldn't be allowed within 50 yards of a child unless you already know, but we won't let you do the course without 6 months' experience in childcare."

If they ever get round to making it compulsory (and I'm with RS on the "rolling rumour-mill fiasco" on this one), exactly how will anyone have the 6 month's experience to be allowed on the course if you have to have the qualification before you can be allowed to work in childcare? :confused:

Fraggle1
03-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks so much for your replies, you are so right, I'm not going to stress about it :) If I need to do it in the future I might, we shall see, for now I'm just going to get on with doing a good job! Rickysmiths you've put my mind at rest - thankyou xx

Rick
03-07-2013, 03:24 PM
It's a shame there is no funding.

I tried to get some in January (funding that is!) and they said it had all gone for that tax year. So as soon as April came around I got in there quick, despite being pretty busy with childminding and just having a child (my wife anyway!).

Unfortunately you haven't been so lucky. It doesn't stop you being a good CM though :thumbsup:

Carla Watts
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I have just applied for a 24 + student loan. I only pay it back when i am earning £21,000 or more. Well that's not happened in the last 4 years, so don't think I will be paying that back, any time soon!!

Stapleton83
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Could you have a look online and see if there is anyone else that would help with funding like Parenta or even calling your Local Authority as ours did offer partial funding of it. At the end of the day some money is better than none.

Good luck

Sam x