PDA

View Full Version : naps

yummyripples
03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
How do you convince a parent not to get their baby to sleep by cuddling them to sleep, taking them out for a walk in the buggy or driving them round.
I have a full timer who I manage to get down without trouble by weds but on Monday and Tuesday he is a nightmare.

serin
03-07-2013, 07:42 AM
How long have you had this child? I am just consistent with my rules in my home and the child gets used to it.

yummyripples
03-07-2013, 08:04 AM
9 months! I am consistent but it takes 2 days before he stops fighting his sleep. Family are lovely but they spoil him like mad. He is used to being pushed, rocked or driven to sleep. I have tried to talk to them about it but I think they think I am talking rubbish and it's their baby so they will do what they think. They don't understand how hard they are making it for him.
I can put all my others down no problem and by weds this one is fine (although not today ).

ziggy
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM
I would be interested in advice on this too. I have 2 brothers and mummy had new baby in March, he is coming to me in January but i am very concerned about how she spends all day breast feeding him if he is upset. At groups we both attend she sits with him on her knee for whole session (2hrs +). She lifts him the minute he opens his eyes and he screams if she doesnt.

I know January is a long way off but i can foresee problems.

In the past i have put mindees in cot and just kept going in every few minutes, saying it's sleeping time now. I had one who had always slept in his mother's bed and she couldnt believe i got him to sleep in a travel cot.

Why do parents make life so difficult for us and themselves?

smurfette
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I have the same .. Little one comes tues wed and thurs and is a nightmare Tuesday,
By Thursday like a dream but back to square one following week! I have had her months too..all we
Can do is persist I think., they do eventually learn different rules in different houses. Hang
In there! (So much easier if parents on board but sounds like you are talking to a Burke

smurfette
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM
I have the same .. Little one comes tues wed and thurs and is a nightmare Tuesday,
By Thursday like a dream but back to square one following week! I have had her months too..all we
Can do is persist I think., they do eventually learn different rules in different houses. Hang
In there! (So much easier if parents on board but sounds like you are talking to a Burke

Ha! Best typo ever!! Little one struggled to get
Off my lap and I pressed send by mistake!

Supposed to say 'Brick wall'!!

smurfette
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I would be interested in advice on this too. I have 2 brothers and mummy had new baby in March, he is coming to me in January but i am very concerned about how she spends all day breast feeding him if he is upset. At groups we both attend she sits with him on her knee for whole session (2hrs +). She lifts him the minute he opens his eyes and he screams if she doesnt.

I know January is a long way off but i can foresee problems.

In the past i have put mindees in cot and just kept going in every few minutes, saying it's sleeping time now. I had one who had always slept in his mother's bed and she couldnt believe i got him to sleep in a travel cot.

Why do parents make life so difficult for us and themselves?

Think it's very unfair Ziggy on us but mostly on baba.. This is ok if you are home all the time but if you are going to have to put baby into full time Childcare it's not practical ., maybe she will realise this before he starts.. Hope!

FizzWizz
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I agree it is just a case of being persistent when LO is with you. If you continue to put them down for a nap they will hopefully get it eventually (although nine months is quite a while!). I have a little one who never naps for more than half an hour on the sofa at home where he falls asleep being cuddled in front of the tv but with me four days a week he was very quick to accept it was time for a nap in a cot and even attempts to climb in himself most days. Good luck though, nothing worse than over tired children!

MessybutHappy
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I have the same problem! Nine months, started three months ago, making progress but had a battle. Be very firm, be very consistent, I pussy footed around to start with, but once I'd had enough babs got the message! First day back after week end always bad though!