PDA

View Full Version : No water, can I work?

nic t
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi all

About 2 hours ago we lost our water supply. There has been a big burst water pipe which has knocked out thousands of houses.

My question is would I be breaching requirements to work tomorrow if the water is not back on?

I know that I will struggle anyway with nappy changes, hand washing and washing up stuff (even with bottled water) and the big one which is making me think I can't do it, no flush on the toilet (yuk!) Have a busy day with 3 unders (2 in nappies) 2 after schoolies and my own 2 over 8s.

Just wanted some advice please.

Thanks

hectors house
02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Could you plan a last minute day trip out with a picnic for tomorrow? I suppose having all little ones in nappies is easier as only you have to wash your hands properly - you could do that with cold bottled water and anti bac gel. Hopefully the water will be back on by the time the after school children come back home.

Have you got a water butt you can fill a bucket of water from to flush toilet - and use the rule - if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down! we had similar thing happen on holiday in apartment in spain years ago, as there was water shortage they turned the holiday apartments water off for hours each day to keep water on for the Spanish in town - we all used water in bucket from swimming pool to flush loo each day!

Get the parents to bring BIG bottles of water for each child from home or shop.

bindy
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
I worked recently with no water but we were told in advance. Bottle water to drink, water in the bath with bucket for the toilet, pans of water for cooking, we were Ok but oh how we take things for granted. Forgot which one we used for washing hands!! May be handy wipes!

nic t
02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I have a nursery pick up to do at 12 so can't do day out unfortunately!

No water butt and as we didn't know it was going off we have no stored water-just a few 2 litre bottles thank God! Hubby has gone out to try and get more but with so many houses around here affected I have heard on the facebook grapevine that the shops round here have been stripped of their bottled water supplies already.

supermumy
02-07-2013, 08:39 PM
If your water is out for more than a few hours the water company has to supply bottled water for free ( or Thames water do anyway)

serin
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
If it was me I would take the kids to the childrens centre so Im out most of the morning and then come home for food and naps. For the after schoolers, everyone would be doing toilet trips at school before we head home. I would not stop working...