PDA

View Full Version : how big is your house?

Bumble Beez
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I live in a 3 bed semi and use the entire ground floor for minding...consisting of entrance hall, lounge/diner, kitchen and conservatory. Not a small house...however sometimes it feels really small when I'm working and would love a bigger house or a house with a room just for minding.
Just made me think about others houses and what works best for minding...
What works for you?

Sarah x

ziggy
02-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I live alone in 3 bedroomed bungalow, so use smallest bedroom which is nearest kitchen as playroom, 2nd bedroom is for mindees to sleep, so my bedroom is just for me:clapping:. Mindees only use main bathroom never my en-suite. I have good size kitchen with tv on wall so children dont go in living room.

It's lovely to shut everything in playroom at nite and close the door. Makes me feel more human.

Bumble Beez
02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I live alone in 3 bedroomed bungalow, so use smallest bedroom which is nearest kitchen as playroom, 2nd bedroom is for mindees to sleep, so my bedroom is just for me:clapping:. Mindees only use main bathroom never my en-suite. I have good size kitchen with tv on wall so children dont go in living room.

It's lovely to shut everything in playroom at nite and close the door. Makes me feel more human.

See that's what I'm thinking...shut 'work' away for the evenings and weekends...I can feel a garage conversion coming on lol!

ziggy
02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
makes it easier to 'finish for the day'

bindy
02-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I live in a 2 bed flat, good size rooms but child minding as taken over all my space. looking to move into a 4 bedroom house with 2/3 reception, garage, garden. As it is at the moment the kids have a very large bedroom for a play room and most of my living room with toys in storage all around the room. Kids love it! I hate it! LOL

AliceK
02-07-2013, 07:58 PM
I have a very large hallway, playroom, lounge, large kitchen / breakfast room and large cloakroom. The mindees are allowed in any of the rooms except the lounge, that's off limits now (wasn't always the case). I can shut the door on the playroom after work, it's bliss. Upstairs we have 3 bedrooms but only babies go up there to sleep. My children need their own space to escape to if they need to so no mindees upstairs. Even though this house is bigger than our last house it is still not big enough. I'm never happy me :(

xxxx

oxfordshirecm
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I live in a 3 bed semi and use the entire ground floor for minding...consisting of entrance hall, lounge/diner, kitchen and conservatory. Not a small house...however sometimes it feels really small when I'm working and would love a bigger house or a house with a room just for minding.
Just made me think about others houses and what works best for minding...
What works for you?

Sarah x

My house is like this but I have a playroom instead of a conservatory. It's nice to shut the door on the toys Friday night and not open it again till Monday (only to clear up )

The Juggler
02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
i have a victorian 3 bed terrace. no playroom and no conservatory. kids sleep in all 3 bedrooms (1 in each), the lounge is choc full of toys and so's my garden :laughing::laughing:

clareelizabeth1
02-07-2013, 09:27 PM
My house is really odd it has had rooms added to it over the years and for some reason or another it ended up in the shape of a spiral (its a bungalow). This meant that the room off my bed room was never used as it was at the end of the spiral and we just stored things in it. It is now a play room with french doors and a decking and now the most used room.

At the moment we have the play room, three bedrooms, a closet toilet, the front room (which is really an over sized hallway in the spiral) a conservatory, a bathroom and the kitchen. Also have a small hallway between kitchen and bathroom which is a coat closet. Then a really wide and long hallway between the front room and my bedroom which is filled with thee book shelfs down one side and cupboards down the other.

I am about to build another room in the space in the middle of the spiral as DS currently doesnt have a bed room and i dont want to share forever. (By me i mean the builder)

Gosh reading that back my house sounds so confusing.

Mrs Scrubbit
02-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I live in a six bedroomed house and I am lucky to have two lounges so one is used by mindees( kept still as a lounge not as a playroom).This room is next to the downstairs toilet and the large kitchen that has patio doors leading out to the garden, a lockable door shuts all this area off from the rest of my house so that children of all ages can come and go as they wish ( kitchen is a safe zone -all units are childproofed and no cooking is done during working hrs, apart from group baking sessions).I have four bedrooms that can be used for napping xx

Bumble Beez
03-07-2013, 04:38 AM
i have a victorian 3 bed terrace. no playroom and no conservatory. kids sleep in all 3 bedrooms (1 in each), the lounge is choc full of toys and so's my garden :laughing::laughing:

This sounds like my house! My poor garden and shed are overflowing...maybe I just need to slim down on 'stuff' ;)

Bumble Beez
03-07-2013, 04:41 AM
I live in a six bedroomed house and I am lucky to have two lounges so one is used by mindees( kept still as a lounge not as a playroom).This room is next to the downstairs toilet and the large kitchen that has patio doors leading out to the garden, a lockable door shuts all this area off from the rest of my house so that children of all ages can come and go as they wish ( kitchen is a safe zone -all units are childproofed and no cooking is done during working hrs, apart from group baking sessions).I have four bedrooms that can be used for napping xx

This sounds ideal! I'm a little bit jealous now tho :P

watgem
03-07-2013, 12:39 PM
not big enough!!! we live in a 4 bed thirties terrace, but still have all but one of my 8 kiddos living here, 3 of whom are in their twenties! I really thought they might haved out by now lol! so combined with all my cm stuff its not big enough:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Nicola Carlyle
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I live in a 5 bed 3 story detached house. The whole of the downstairs is used for childminding and we have a front to back lounge in one side, a front to back kitchen dinner on the other side, a very small playroom at the back of the hall and a toilet under the stairs. I use three bedrooms upstairs that I use for mindees sleeping/nap time. The garden is tiny but we do have a small area that's used for the children with a house, kitchen, sand pit, water table and a few ride on's plus a swing and slide set. We do have a huge field I front of the house that I use for running free and kicking balls around etc.

Mrs Scrubbit
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
This sounds ideal! I'm a little bit jealous now tho :P

Thanks, yes I suppose it is and I do love it but now that all our 'babies' have flown the nest it does seem abit empty and quiet when mindees have gone home.xx

munch149
04-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I live in a former bungalow and our bedroom ad on suite is upstairs so never used. The whole downstairs is used for Minding. I have two bedrooms downstairs small on is my daughters room but I also use this for nappy changing and sleeping for other babies. The larger bedroom is my playroom. Then it kitchen lounge and dining room. We have a pretty large garden which I love. House is perfect for us at the moment but I want more children in the near future and would ideally like them to have their own room and this would only be possible if I lost my playroom. Daughters room isn't really big enough to get two beds in either so would have to use the tiny room as my playroom which isn't ideal. I know some people don't have a playroom but when you get used to something you don't want to lose it.

Jiorjiina
04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
1930's three bed semi here.

I only use the downstairs and we have a large entrance hall, sitting room, downstairs loo and a separate kitchen and dining room, so the dining room is now the play room, and we can keep our sitting room to ourselves. Or at least we can once I clear up in the evening!

Mindees (only two during the day at the moment) sleep in travel cots in the playroom. Or the sitting room if one needs to sleep while the other is awake. Or sometimes both because one of them is a really light sleeper. It's kind of mix and match.

Nice big back garden though, which is great at the moment.