PDA

View Full Version : Why fewer torys would benefit children

Simona
02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Do you agree?

Why Fewer Toys Will Benefit Your Kids | Becoming Minimalist (http://www.becomingminimalist.com/why-fewer-toys-will-actually-benefit-your-kids/)

Boris
02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I agree, fewer tories would defo benefit children!

On a serious note, I do think less is more. The more stuff I have on display the more mess there is, more things get broken, the volume goes up, children don't play with anything they just flit from one thing to another. I prefer to just have a few bits out and sit and play with them. (sorry not read the article, can't get it up at the mo!)

oxfordshirecm
02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I totally agree with this- I had a major clear out at the weekend and now the children actually 'play' with everything

kellyskidz!
02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Yep I agree I too, too many toys out = less time spent actually playing with them
When I first started I jam packed my house with toys and heard the words I'm bored in the first few weeks. Then I shoved a load in the garage and rotate them so I'm not overrun and the kids genuinely select toys they want to spend time on now, not just grab something for 5 mins then onto the next. I also stopped buying plasticky, almost disposable toys and spent more time choosing toys I knew would keep kids interested. I thought I was a meanie at first removing toys but now know its about quality not quantity!

Mouse
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I nearly didn't open this thread thinking it was going to be a political rant :laughing:

I haven't had time to read the article, but do agree that fewer toys are much better. I've seen lots of photos of childminders' settings & some of them are so overcrowded it makes me wonder how the children can ever concentrate on anything. Then I see a photo of a lovely, spaceous, airy room and think, bliss!

It's not just photos, it's posters covering all the walls, shelves stacked high with boxes, floors covered in brightly coloured flooring.

I know it's personal choice, but I immediately relax better in a more minimalist environment and have found the same is true with children.

sarah707
02-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Very Freudian title there Simona :laughing:

Less is definitely more with my children too :D

Helen79
02-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I definitely agree with this and have cleared out nearly all the toys in the last year. When they're choosing which toys to get out all the children would choose the sensory tray or craft over the toys I have anyway so it was pointless having mountains of boxes that they didn't want to play with.

Simona
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I was laughing aloud at Boris' reply thinking she has said 'torys' instead of toys...but it is my spelling at fault!!!

Mind you I would say that a few less 'Tories' as in Cameron, Truss, Gove and Wilshaw may also improve children's play and benefit them a great deal...get them out of their way!!!

Sorry but I am still giggling!

Less is more but I also detest plastic and like real things to play with...I don't think I have one single plastic thing in my home corner and plenty of natural materials like Reggio Emilia!!!

samb
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm too scared to clear mine out "just in case"! The children can't access all at once - i usually get 3 boxes of different types of toys then constant access to books. They can ask for other things. I do want to clear more out but how do you choose? Construction items for example - some prefer duplo, some mega blocks, some soft blocks, some wooden, some kidi knex, etc etc etc! Help! Lol!

loocyloo
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
most of my toys are kept in big cupboards ( well, wardrobes to be honest! ) WITHOUT handles, so they look very plain and I have a few toys out at a time.

I prefer an 'uncluttered' look myself and I think it gives children time and space to play.

Bumble Beez
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Did chuckle at the fact that title says torys...
After reading tho, v.interesting and gives food for thought.

Sarah x

Smiley
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the giggle was expecting a political post!
Yes, it seems we all agree children engage in more meaningful play with less toys. I've recently introduced more heuristic open ended play and children certainly show deeper levels of involvement. Unfortunately I can't upload photos when I'm on the iPad

bindy
02-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I think it all depends on how children are brought up with their toys. I have always taught my daughter to treat her toys with respect, she looks after her toys, books, jigsaws etc, hardly any get broken! I have lots too, but do not allow toys everywhere! She does have her favourites. I do rotate them too, every 6 months have a change over. She has an amazing concentration, playing with plastic animals making up stories for hours same with her dolls, peppa pig and the best ever for imagination sylvanian families. I know kids who have very little toys and they still are like the article says about kids who have loads. Adults do not teach their kids to have respect, I have seen mothers allow their kids to draw on, throw around toys at play groups and never say a word to them.

lisbet
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
:laughing: at the typo in the title!

I agree that a visually calm space and carefully selected open-ended toys seems to help children get absorbed in 'deep' play.

I thought this linked article was very interesting too:

The Boy With No Toys | Laura Grace Weldon (http://lauragraceweldon.com/2012/02/20/the-boy-with-no-toys/)

"Studies show that children who are free to explore their interests without adult pressure and interference are more autonomous, eagerly pursuing excellence through healthy engagement rather than heavy-handed adult pressure."

Think someone should show the above quote from the article to the too-many-Tories trampling all over childhood! :rolleyes:

Dilly Daydream
03-07-2013, 05:26 AM
I am currently off work on maternity leave and recently went through all my minding toys and craft items to put away until I return to work next year. I realised only 25 per cent of the toys were actually played with. Going through my craft stuff I realised only crayons and paper were used. The local charity shop and my daughters pre school did quite well that week as they ended up with the unwanted items. I now have I clearer living room and hubby has now created a space in the shed for my minding toys.

I intend on just selecting a few key toys and resources at a time from the shed and rotating regularly to try and keep my house from looking like an explosion in a toy factory when I come back to work next year. I just need now to apply the same principle to my daughters bedroom which seems harder to do somehow! After reading this thread I feel a little more inspired to go up there now and do it. Only hope I still have the urge at 9.30 when she is at pre school :-)