PDA

View Full Version : Advice pleaseee fellow childminders :)

amylouise867
02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Hey all

I have had a call this morning to say my application has been accepted for the briefing day so I'm thrilled as the ball has begun rolling...

I've been thinking about this and that, whether this and that is right, thinking about things I want to buy etc, a possible name for my business and so on.... Yet this morning a question has popped into my head and I would like to know what you do....

..... I have 1 child who is 7 months and she sleeps in her cot at nap times if we are home.... Where do your minded children sleep??

I was thinking of purchasing the fold up beds that are used in nurseries for toddler nap times.

Is this what you do or do you have cots etc for your minded children too :/ so much to consider.

Thanks in advance
Amy :)

sprinkles
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
I have a travel cot but the older one will probably just crash on the sofa!

funemnx
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
I keep 3 travel cots but don't often have 3 that need a nap at the same time. I have got 1 who will only go to sleep when he's in the buggy... :thumbsup:

Lilylulu
02-07-2013, 01:51 PM
we have travel cots, but also some little ones prefer the lie back pushchair, occasional naps for older children - sometimes on the sofa - sometimes with a duvet in the play tent or on a bed, depending what each child prefers really.

tulip0803
02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I have 2 travel cots and 2 lie back buggies or some of the older ones can sleep on the sofa (I have 3 in two rooms) if they need to.

Depends on the child and how they sleep at home. I have had breastfed babies that only go to sleep on Mummy and they seem to settle better in the pushchairs rather than the travel cot. I have had others who settle best in the travel cots.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I have 3 travel cots and 2 sleep on a bed now that they can. All used at the same time and if I have the 6th then she goes in the buggy that lies down.

smurfette
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Best to wait Til you get mindees and find out how they sleep at home before buying anything .. I have a mix of travel cots lie back buggies and couch!

mrstom
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Best to wait Til you get mindees and find out how they sleep at home before buying anything .. I have a mix of travel cots lie back buggies and couch!

I agree, wait until you get mindees before buying anything. I have two travel cots and had two mindees (11 & 12 months old) who both started on my first day of business. I had the idealistic view that they could share the dining room (one each end of the dining table) and that they would both sleep at the same time. Hah!!

Ended up that one would only sleep lying flat on her own buggy with a black blanket over to cut out the light and rocked to sleep. The other one had to sleep in total silence (which frankly never happens in my house) so I had to get a variation to use an upstairs bedroom to put a travel cot in to attempt to reduce the noise from my 4 year old.

Twelve months on, they're both in travel cots (one upstairs, one downstairs). In September I should have another little one starting so all change again!

LittleAcornsThatcham
02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
On the other side of fence I'd say start now. I hunt down bargains to make it affordable and there are things you WILL need. For example there's foldy foam beds in lidl this week I like the look of for bigger kids/reading corner/overnight care x

shortstuff
02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I have three travel cots but usually only one gets used. Two are redundant upstairs.

I would agree with the wait and see which mindees you have before you purchase anything unless you find an absolute bargain.

amylouise867
02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Thank you for all of your advice.

Seems that travel cots are pretty popular.

I just don't want to look unprofessional once I get round to 'qualifying' and get a parent want to come and look at my setting and there isn't things like this in place...

I didn't know if was acceptable to say I can use the sofa, the spare bed or their buggy.....

I didn't know if things had to be in place.

As I say I'm learning the ropes and there so much to consider.

Thanks to everyone who has taken their time to offer advice!!

Your all FAB!! :)

shortstuff
03-07-2013, 02:30 AM
Dont forget how much mums will love to think you buy thongs just for their lo too though x

Bumble Beez
03-07-2013, 05:23 AM
I have 2 travel cots which are occasionally used at the same time however I have a LO who will only sleep when in a buggy, so that has to happen...
Also I've got a LO who brings his own special blanket and takes himself off with it to a quiet corner to sleep...tried moving him when he first started and he kept going back! Spoke to mum about it and she said he does the same at home, and only sleeps in a bed at night! Whatever works is fine...

Sarah x

CLL
03-07-2013, 06:02 AM
I just told new parents I would buy, travel cot, high chair, car seat, double buggy etc when they had signed up so I had the correct equipment for their child. They were more impressed that I tailored it to their child's needs. I also used the non refundable deposit to purchase a lot of them.

FussyElmo
03-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Just remember most parents wont expect you to have a travel up if you are not using it.

I explain that a lot of my equipment if not used is kept it the loft till its needed. Remember its still your home and most people who choose childminders want an home environment :D

butterfly
03-07-2013, 08:07 AM
I have two cots (one permanent and one travel) and one mindee sleeps on the bed now she's doing it at home. I'd be very careful telling Ofsted that you will allow children to sleep in buggies. Although it is common practice and many parents say that's what they want, I have heard many inspectors saying that it is unacceptable because buggies don't provide the exact support of a flat mattress. Just something to be mindful about!