PDA

View Full Version : do you link every photo in learning journeys to development matters?

mrs robbie williams
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
i seem to be linking the same thing iyswim? eg can kick ball - have linked once but have another photo of same lo kicking ball on different day so can i just write at bottom 'having fun at the park with the ball' ????

Rick
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I use Orbit Early Years to do my observations and assessments. Each photo can either be made into an obs or just sent to album with a sentence.

If I've already observed and assessed something I won't do it again.....it's just repeating yourself :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Unless the photograph showed something different I probably wouldn't have included it.

So I have the first photo x can kick a ball. Next step to encourage more gross motor skills so introduce different sized balls etc different shaped. If the child was kicking a tennis ball I would include it as its my next step :thumbsup:

butterfly
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I try not to include observations of things Ive already seen unless it's an extension of something. You could keep extra photos in a separate folder and just let parents have them.

appleblossom
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
If I have similar photos showing the same thing I mostly don't print them but same them onto the memory stick I keep for each child with all photos on whether they go into the LJ or not. When the child leaves my setting the memory stick is handed over with everything else. I usually print a few extra photos for our displays. These are changed every few months. All the photos that do go in the LJ are linked to Dev matters.

Angela234
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't link every photo might just be a photo of having fun, new place we visited, our Christmas party.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-07-2013, 02:30 PM
I link something new or when something is achieved but not every one but I do anedote each one that I print off stating where we have been and what we were doing

hectors house
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I would just say "having fun playing ball again" it does show that this child likes playing with the ball - so maybe you could do a next steps following his schema or characteristic of learning. I do take lots of photos and don't try to link everything - sometimes they are just having FUN and I know the parents enjoy the photos.

rickysmiths
02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
No. We don't have to link their every move to Development matters and in our training we have been told not to that the new Development matters was written so it could not be directly linked like the old one was.

muffins
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I use the observations of play form in the free resourses alongside my formal observations, I use the play form to put any photos on I dont want to use for a formal observation or put a next step for. I still mark on the bottom of the page which areas it links to:thumbsup:

maisiemog
02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I have divided my LJs up into different sections an have one for photos. These tend to be nice photos I've taken that don't link into anything but I like or of trips etc! My parents have commented that they like this part of the LJ. TBH I think they only look at the photos rather than read the obs anyway!

Helen79
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't link every photo to dev matter unless it's something new that they've learnt.If it's just a photo showing an actvity they've enjoyed i just put 'x enjoyed playing football' and maybe write a next steps idea for planning.

i think it's nice for parents to see what activities they're kids are enjoying so I like to put extra photos in the LJ that might not be linked to the dev matters, showing that they're having fun is all part of the PSED

oxfordshirecm
02-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I tend to have three observations on something then I mark as attained - if I then get any more photos showing this I just put them in the general photo folder