PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding and Insurance - conflicting info....

unalindura77
02-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi there

I have read on here that when some have had their pre reg visit the inspector asks for insurance details, when the LA instructor on our HBC course says that's only when you have your certificate in hand that you can apply.

Also, when I asked her about the Safeguarding course she said that too would be arranged after registration, is this correct? As I have read otherwise...

Any help would be appreciated, just want to have everything ready for the visit.

hectors house
02-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Sorry I don't know the answer - hopefully someone who registered more recently (and can remember) will be able to help you. :)

Amandak28
02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
My safeguarding is included in with my CYPOP5 course so cant help there.
But my understanding is insurance id needed before ofsted come out as they will ask to see it and it should be up on display. So i think you should give MM a call and they will advise you on what you need to do. :-) HTH x

rickysmiths
02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
That is right you can't apply for PL insurance until you have your EY number and that comes on your Certificate.

You now have to do your Child Protection Training before you are registered it states that in the Statutory part of the EYFS and I don't think what you cover in CYPOP 5 is the same as the full Child protection training your LA should approve which will usually take 3 hours. CYPOP 5 just covers the generalities of it and it does not give the specific information for your own area which you must have.

Now you need CYPOP5 First Aid and Child Protection all completed BEFORE Ofsted will register you.

Mrsh3103
02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
You have to do safeguarding course before you can register. You need to put the date completed on application form I think. You also need to show the certificate on pre reg visit.

With insurance I didn't have mine until after I registered. She asked if I had it yet, I said I didn't see the point in getting it before I'm even registered, what if they turn me down I'll have lost all the money x

Amandak28
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
In my area we are having 2 sessions 9.30-14.30 for safeguarding within my CYPOP5 course as our course 'package' includes this and pead first aid along with pacey insurance. So it does depend on where you live. So speak to your Local Learning Authority and get there advise.

:-) x

lynncjt
03-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Where are you? As in Scotland it's different - you have to have your insurance BEFORE you can get your certificate!

unalindura77
03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
In my area we are having 2 sessions 9.30-14.30 for safeguarding within my CYPOP5 course as our course 'package' includes this and pead first aid along with pacey insurance. So it does depend on where you live. So speak to your Local Learning Authority and get there advise.

:-) x

I live in London.

I asked their (LA) advice on the Home Based Care course and our instructor said categorically 'you do the safeguarding course AFTER your registration' which really confused me and conflicts with what's said on here...

I think I'll do the Pacey Child Protection course, does anyone know if its Ofsted approved?

FussyElmo
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I live in London.

I asked their (LA) advice on the Home Based Care course and our instructor said categorically 'you do the safeguarding course AFTER your registration' which really confused me and conflicts with what's said on here...

I think I'll do the Pacey Child Protection course, does anyone know if its Ofsted approved?

The thing here is your safeguarding has to be la approved so you may do the pacey one and then find out its not suitable.

unalindura77
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
The thing here is your safeguarding has to be la approved so you may do the pacey one and then find out its not suitable.

Yeah FE, just rang them and they passed me around to everyone in the office, nobody knew! So they'll get back to me tomorrow....just want to get it done!

Had a look at my LA training website and the Safeguarding courses section says 'for x council registered childminders only' so I do not understand how Ofsted need us to have done the training before reg and the LA after reg. Confusing!

rickysmiths
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
It is in the Statutory Part of the EYFS and it clearly states that you need to do an LA approved course BEFORE you can be registered.

The Pacey one may be fine for the basics but you need to have the list of your own local reporting numbers and who you need to phone etc. Only YOUR LA can give you this.

I am shocked that your LA seem to have no knowledge of the Legal Requirements of the EYFS.

THE SAFEGUARDING AND WELFARE REQUIREMENTS

Child Protection

3.4 Providers must be alert to any issues for concern in the child's home or elsewhere. Providers MUST have and implement a policy and procedures, to safeguard children. These should be in line with the guidance and procedures of the relevant Local Safeguarding Children's Board (LSCB). The safeguarding policy and procedures must include an explanation of the action to be taken in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff and must cover the use of mobile phones and cameras in the setting.

3.5 should also be read as it says you need to do an LA approved course.

Tough I can see where it refers to newly registered childminders. I am sure it does require CP training before Registration. If I were you I would ring Ofsted and check with them. But I think you have to put the dates you have completed training on your application.

unalindura77
03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
It is in the Statutory Part of the EYFS and it clearly states that you need to do an LA approved course BEFORE you can be registered.

The Pacey one may be fine for the basics but you need to have the list of your own local reporting numbers and who you need to phone etc. Only YOUR LA can give you this.

I am shocked that your LA seem to have no knowledge of the Legal Requirements of the EYFS.

THE SAFEGUARDING AND WELFARE REQUIREMENTS

Child Protection

3.4 Providers must be alert to any issues for concern in the child's home or elsewhere. Providers MUST have and implement a policy and procedures, to safeguard children. These should be in line with the guidance and procedures of the relevant Local Safeguarding Children's Board (LSCB). The safeguarding policy and procedures must include an explanation of the action to be taken in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff and must cover the use of mobile phones and cameras in the setting.

3.5 should also be read as it says you need to do an LA approved course.

Tough I can see where it refers to newly registered childminders. I am sure it does require CP training before Registration. If I were you I would ring Ofsted and check with them. But I think you have to put the dates you have completed training on your application.

What a relief!!

Dont know whats going on here but I just rang Ofsted and they said my LA advisor is right!

That we need to be aware of safeguarding but that at the time of registration we DO NOT need to have undertaken a course at this point. She said if we have CYPOP5/ HBC course and Paediatric first aid then that's enough!

It's very confusing.:idea:

Amandak28
03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I live in London.

Hi, my tutor has just emailed me this

Hi All

The safeguarding session is mandatory for all learners 9:30- 2:30 if you are late for any part of the session including returning from breaks you will be marked absent and you will need to rebook the course in the new academic year. Please note attendance to the Safeguarding session is mandatory prior to making your Ofsted application.

You will not be allowed to leave during any of the teaching sessions tomorrow or next week.

Hope this helps.
:-)

unalindura77
04-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Hi, my tutor has just emailed me this

Hi All

The safeguarding session is mandatory for all learners 9:30- 2:30 if you are late for any part of the session including returning from breaks you will be marked absent and you will need to rebook the course in the new academic year. Please note attendance to the Safeguarding session is mandatory prior to making your Ofsted application.

You will not be allowed to leave during any of the teaching sessions tomorrow or next week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Amanda, is this a CYPOP5 or a Home based Care course?
I just don't know what to think. The only thing I can think of is that there's a difference between doing the course with your LA and doing a private CYPOP course?

I initially felt relief when I spoke to Ofsted yesterday but now I feel nervous as to whether when I have a pre reg visit there'll be a problem as I don't have it! But I can always say I rang and spoke to Ofsted right? ..............Confused.com!:panic:

Amandak28
04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Amanda, is this a CYPOP5 or a Home based Care course?
I just don't know what to think. The only thing I can think of is that there's a difference between doing the course with your LA and doing a private CYPOP course?

I initially felt relief when I spoke to Ofsted yesterday but now I feel nervous as to whether when I have a pre reg visit there'll be a problem as I don't have it! But I can always say I rang and spoke to Ofsted right? ..............Confused.com!:panic:

Hiya
Im on my way home after doing todays session and its the level 1 safeguarding thats required of us and we are doing it as it has been incorporated it into the CYPOP5 task 8 as thats the agreement they have from my local authority. Im doing my course with my local authority so I'm guessing if you do it independently you will have to do the level 1 safeguarding separately.

Hope this has helped. X

unalindura77
04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Hiya
Im on my way home after doing todays session and its the level 1 safeguarding thats required of us and we are doing it as it has been incorporated it into the CYPOP5 task 8 as thats the agreement they have from my local authority. Im doing my course with my local authority so I'm guessing if you do it independently you will have to do the level 1 safeguarding separately.

Hope this has helped. X

Thanks for that Amanda, the one we did was Home Based Care through the LA, it wasn't called CYPOP5 so maybe they do different courses in different places?

Can't wait to be over this bit.

Amandak28
04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for that Amanda, the one we did was Home Based Care through the LA, it wasn't called CYPOP5 so maybe they do different courses in different places?

Can't wait to be over this bit.

Maybe as things vary from borough to borough.
As croydon will only accept your level3 (CYPOP5) of its done through CALAT education centre and not online with PACEY or another body.

So its best to speak to your local authority as they will know what required.