PDA

View Full Version : OMG im mortified!!!!

donna porter
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Had one of the minders mum come to collect her baby and when she said bye to the other children my other mindee replied with 'bye Dick head!' !!!!!!!! She obviously got a telling off and her reply was that 'he says it all the time'( meaning her mums on/off boyfriend )
We had a long chat about it after and she just seems so confused. She's a sweet girl but she just has bad influences in her life :-/ she's just turned 5.

cathtee
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh dear! I feel so sorry for some los when they have bad influences at home, what more can you do but explain that it not nice to use
sayings like this, but when the hear things like it at home they unfortunately copy.

Rick
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
One of my mindees has started saying the s**t word a few times. I let him know in no uncertain terms that that wasn't said in this house. I know his mum swears at him at home, I heard her say FFS to him. Really doesn't help when parents are causing the problems :angry:

tulip0803
01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
I have had this in the last few months with 2x 3.5 year olds. We have hopefully passed the situation now (with fingers crossed) through short discussion about unacceptable words and then ignoring and not giving them a reaction when I knew they were looking for it. Only took a few days thankfully. They sometimes seem about to say something but I look and they stop - I am soooooooooooo very frightening!!:rolleyes: They know what they are saying even at 3

One has a much older brother the other a Mum who uses "colourful" language. It is so difficult when they get these influences at home.

Koala
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

charlottenash
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
My son has been known to come home from nursery with a few swear words, isn't always learnt from parents!!

hollyvilla
01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Today I had a small girl look at her dolly in the pram and say quite sincerely "this doll is knackered". I just looked at her in horror!

FussyElmo
01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
They do learn what you find acceptable or don't.

I had one mindee tell her dad after he said something - Fussy doesn't like those sort of words poor man went beetroot and I had to stop myself from laughing.

Poor guy had even said something offensive we think mindee had misheard him :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

primula
01-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I am so glad it has ceased raining for a while, my eldest mindee use to say 'look ***** it's pissing down'!!! soooooo glad the other mindee is only just talking!

ziggy
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
I have 2 brothers and their daddy is always saying '******', especially as in 'you're gonna get a ****** good hiding'

2yr old said it last week in car, so i just explained Daddies do sometimes say bad words but we dont, they accepted that.

I guess it could be much worse

jelly jiggles
01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Lol! And I was worrying about 2 3 year olds saying 'stupid'. Bless em :)

AgentTink
02-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Today I had a small girl look at her dolly in the pram and say quite sincerely "this doll is knackered". I just looked at her in horror!

I am not sure why this is not acceptable, we use the word knackered as part of our daily language. What am i missing?:blush:

Is this just a word that is used differently in different parts of the country? In Liverpool this is a commonly used word to describe being worn out/tired/shattered

FussyElmo
02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I am not sure why this is not acceptable, we use the word knackered as part of our daily language. What am i missing?:blush:

Is this just a word that is used differently in different parts of the country? In Liverpool this is a commonly used word to describe being worn out/tired/shattered

It is a normal used word here too :thumbsup:

But I know it has a another definition close to tired which can be offensive :D

scottishlass
02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Same here in Edinburgh xx

jackie 7
02-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Well apart from being a word for testicles the knacker man is the one who shoot animals who were too sick. Also a word used by some people in some areas for Irish travellers. And yes it means tired but I would be careful where I said it. One persons every day word can mean something else to another.

kellyskidz!
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM

It's one of those funny ones isn't it, like bu**er I often used to call my daughter buggalugs, until my Mum said isn't that a swear word? I also say oh I'm knackered at the end of a long shift but some might find it offensive xx

PixiePetal
02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
My 4 yr old mindee uses the word 'grollocks' to good effect - mum thinks he misheard her once and has picked up on it! luckily she warned me and although it is miss-pronounced for another word we have decided to say 'not to use that word' and then move on with distraction.

SYLVIA
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
I had a mindee hear recently who called me S... Head, just in his normal conversation. I know he picked it up and other lovely phases from family members. It seems to be part of many peoples way of speaking. Not here though

LeanneC
03-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Im afraid to admit that my then 4yr old daughter last year came in one day after a trip to the supermarket with my husband and asked me what a wonker was?? :panic:
she said Daddy shouted wonker to a man in a car as he went through a red light and made daddy swerve. Daddy was mortified!!

It happens but I feel for those children whose parents or whoever close to them choose to use that sort of language in everyday conversation :(

The Juggler
03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
My son has been known to come home from nursery with a few swear words, isn't always learnt from parents!!

ah but it is essentially - they teach it to their kids then those kids say it to your kids :panic:

clareelizabeth1
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
My father was a very polite man would never ever swear. Then i turned old enough to ride on the back of his motor bike. My mother then had words with me that i was never ever to repeat anything i heard my father say when on the bike as daddys just went daddys when on the road. I think i have only heard him swear on his bike in my whole life.

I dont agree with swearing in front of children my brother and sil do it in front of theirs and i tell them off when they do it in front of me. Really irritates me that they do it but then tell her off and send her to her room when she does she is only 4 they need to be leading by example.

donna porter
04-07-2013, 05:55 AM
The worst part is I think he's the sort of person to teach her it. Like its not bad enough just saying it in front of her :-/ ah well

partyrings
04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
I have a little girl who as she was pulling away in mums car told me to '#@ck off' using the arm movements as she did it. Mum laughed and drove away. I spoke to mum the next day and she brushed it off. Now the little one has started playschool and I spoke to the keyworker about the language and they also brushed me off and said 'not here she will not' and laughed. Not laughing now!!! She tells the teachers to @/off and much more..plus other kids.i see trouble ahead!..I am the only setting she attends were no bad language is used, she knows I have never allowed it.

Supernanny86
04-07-2013, 07:32 AM

I remember saying that at high school once, I got really told off, I didn't know it was offensive! She said it meant "tired after sexual activity!!" I nearly wet myself laughing! Got detention for that!! Lol

Just depends on the person as people I'm friends with now still say it and so do I, I'm in the south!! I obviously never learnt my lesson ;) :D

munch149
04-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I u knackered regularly and don't think anyone where I live would think anything of it.

Samijanec
04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
The other night I took my 16 yr old daughter and 3yr old son out for tea.

There was another family in the family eating area and they were sat in the booth behind us and her conversation could be heard, she was obviously a nursery worker. They had two children of their own, a boy of about 5 and a baby girl of about 8 months.
My son is at the stage where he just asks none stop questions, he is also not in the slightest bit shy so will talk to any one. He asked her why cbeebies had finished and she replied " because it's passed your bed time and I'm knackered!" I couldn't believe it. I know it's not exactly a swear word but my son repeats every thing he hears and I just don't think its a word that should be used to a three year old. Especially from a woman that obviously works with young children all day. She was I. Her late thirties as well so not some young thing that doesn't know any better...

Maybe it's just me but some words are just to horrid to come out of a child's mouth.
I have issues with children saying fart as well.
I must just be a grumpy old woman...

bunyip
04-07-2013, 08:58 AM
One of my mindees is constantly repeating things she hears, out of context.

She told her mum that her dad had shot me in the head. She's also told me that dad took her to the moon. She reckons I took her to Legoland last week and I've never been anywhere near the place. Another mindee heard this, took the story home and then I had his mum complaining that I was showing preferential treatment (she seriously believed I was running Legoland trips out of my own pocket, and excluding her little darling. :doh: )

She says that mummy "drowns" her, when she means she doesn't like having her hair rinsed after washing. She picked up the term "kicking butt" when winning a game, and has told mum that I kick her butt, my other mindees kick her butt, etc. etc.

What worries me is that social services might have a field day. :panic:

Samijanec
04-07-2013, 09:02 AM
One of my mindees is constantly repeating things she hears, out of context.

She told her mum that her dad had shot me in the head. She's also told me that dad took her to the moon. She reckons I took her to Legoland last week and I've never been anywhere near the place. Another mindee heard this, took the story home and then I had his mum complaining that I was showing preferential treatment (she seriously believed I was running Legoland trips out of my own pocket, and excluding her little darling. :doh: )

She says that mummy "drowns" her, when she means she doesn't like having her hair rinsed after washing. She picked up the term "kicking butt" when winning a game, and has told mum that I kick her butt, my other mindees kick her butt, etc. etc.

What worries me is that social services might have a field day. :panic:

:D this made me giggle...

bunyip
04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
:D this made me giggle...

I did a safeguarding workshop recently where the trainer insisted "you must always believe children's reports of things that go on at home and other settings."

I did ask whether I should record "daddy taking child to zero-oxygen atmosphere" as a 'concern'. :rolleyes:

Either it's me, or the rest of the world's gone crazy.

Samijanec
04-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I did a safeguarding workshop recently where the trainer insisted "you must always believe children's reports of things that go on at home and other settings."

I did ask whether I should record "daddy taking child to zero-oxygen atmosphere" as a 'concern'. :rolleyes:

Either it's me, or the rest of the world's gone crazy.

I think a lot of the things children say have to be taken with a pinch of salt, they constantly mix things up nd come up with the oddest of things. Don't get me wrong if I was concerned I'd record what they were saying but mostly ey just say the funniest things...

supermumy
04-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Oh I'm always I'm knackered ( as in tired) its the norm round here didn't even know it meant anything else?

charlottenash
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
'Knackered' '******' and '****** hell' are 3 words I've had to remove from my everyday vocab. Although bought up down here the northern part of my family say these things without blinking an eye and I've always thought it normal. Since becoming a CM I've learnt not to use them.

charlottenash
04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Bu**er *blo*dy'

Carol
04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
When children hear swear and not appropriate words everyday they have no understanding what is right and wrong! It makes our job very difficult to try and teach them what is acceptable!
I have a few friends how are teachers and over the years children's bad language has become worse!

Carol