PDA

View Full Version : All state schools allowed to set own term dates

Simona
01-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Is this a good idea?
BBC - Homepage (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23129472#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Maza
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
A lot of the teachers will be parents too and so they wouldn't want their own holidays too different to their own kids schools. I used to love the six week holiday, it seemed to last forever. Long lazy days in the park and at the boating lake. I hope they don't take it away.

FussyElmo
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Don't think it would change much for us. Our secondary school is an academy and all the 6 feeder primary school are joining together to become a combined academy which the secondary school is involved in too.

Personally I hop they don't get rid of the 6 weeks holiday :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
A lot of schools already have got rid of the six week holiday and only have 4 weeks but you will still get a total of 13 weeks. You will get 2 week half terms which I think as a teachers wife would be good. A week isn't long enough in fact it isn't a break because nowadays my husband works 4 of the five days of half terms.

It will be better for the children not to have 6 weeks which is a long gap. Most of all it may mean that no one will take their children out of schools for holidays if they have 2 week breaks 5 times a year and a 4 week one in the summer.

Memina
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I have my godson over from Spain this week and they finished 17th June and dont go back until end of Sept.

But then again they live by the sea bliss

Stapleton83
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I think there are pros and cons to the idea but would totally agree with the Head teachers comment that parents would expect local schools to liaise with one another or parents could have different children off school on different weeks.

Sam x

Ripeberry
01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
They need to keep the 6 week holiday. Most European countries take 8 weeks or more. Until they cut back,why should we?

SammySplodger
01-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Poor kids! I think this is a really bad idea - they need the holidays to unwind, have a rest and some fun. Why on earth should they have to loose this precious time? :-(

It won't affect Private schools will it?! most I know of have 7-8 weeks off over the summer... This is yet another example of the Tories penalising the have-nots. Nannies are unaffected by all the rubbish we are going through and have to do diddly squat paperwork either.

Ugh :-(

lisbet
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I care for the children of 3 teachers, working in different schools in 2 different LA's. I hope they will all continue to co-ordinate dates as I can only afford to offer term time only contracts based on one set of term dates...

AliceK
02-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Well my DS (9) thinks it's a terrible idea, he wants his 6wk summer break. However if all schools can set their own then it may well stop the holiday companies hiking up their prices for the school hols??

I don't think it will bother me but I can understand how it might affect some.

xxx

rickysmiths
02-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Poor kids! I think this is a really bad idea - they need the holidays to unwind, have a rest and some fun. Why on earth should they have to loose this precious time? :-(

It won't affect Private schools will it?! most I know of have 7-8 weeks off over the summer... This is yet another example of the Tories penalising the have-nots. Nannies are unaffected by all the rubbish we are going through and have to do diddly squat paperwork either.

Ugh :-(

Nor do parents who stay at home have to do it either.

The children will have the same number of weeks holidays in a year it may just be spaced out differently and I can see pros and cons of this. Parents are always belly aching about the long summer holidays and how are the supposed to be able to afford childcare. :rolleyes: Now one would ever think that parents might actually take some of their holiday to spend with their child, no God forbid! So this government is hell bent on providing 'Free' Childcare by whatever stealth means they can. Like putting 2 year olds into school.

I actually think that a four week break in the summer would be fine and have some 2 week half terms it would give parents a better chance to go on cheaper holidays wouldn't it. Mind you we have never had a problem in the school holidays.

watgem
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm with you rickysmiths :)

bindy
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
A lot of schools already have got rid of the six week holiday and only have 4 weeks but you will still get a total of 13 weeks. You will get 2 week half terms which I think as a teachers wife would be good. A week isn't long enough in fact it isn't a break because nowadays my husband works 4 of the five days of half terms.

It will be better for the children not to have 6 weeks which is a long gap. Most of all it may mean that no one will take their children out of schools for holidays if they have 2 week breaks 5 times a year and a 4 week one in the summer.

The reason kids get taken out of school for holidays its cheaper! Not because they only have one week off a half term.

FussyElmo
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
The question is what will the travel companies do - just me who is thinking they will just increase prices all year round :D

Ripeberry
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
They say the long school holidays are no longer fit for purpose as we don't need them to help bring in the crops. But how come most European countries and even the USA take all of July/Aug and in some cases most of September off as well! Don't they have any other time off during the year?

appleblossom
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Our primary schools only have 5 weeks in the summer. They have two weeks at summer half term at the end of May/beginning of June. But the secondary schools have one week at half term and six in summer. It's been like that as long as I can remember. We always go away the second week of the half term as lots of holiday companies don't raise their prices for the first week of June, just the bank holiday week at the end of May. Our holiday cottage this year was cheaper that week.