PDA

View Full Version : A week of meetings and action

Simona
01-07-2013, 06:13 AM
I am getting ready for my first meeting this week and will soon head off to London
I am meeting the PLA CEO this morning

I have lots to discuss and if you have any particular questions, now that you know PLA have a m'ship and insurance package for cms, please let me know before 9 am when I will be setting off

I will feedback as usual...

sarah707
01-07-2013, 06:54 AM
My questions – what will you do specifically for your childminder members?

How will you rally nurseries and pre-schools to support us on agencies – like we supported them on the ratios issue?

I suppose – what will you do for us that other membership organisations aren’t already doing...

Hope you have a good day! :D

Simona
01-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Both those questions on my agenda alrady...
It is also the other way round...how do cms want to be represented?
what is important to you as a cm?

Kiddleywinks
01-07-2013, 07:16 AM
My questions – what will you do specifically for your childminder members?

How will you rally nurseries and pre-schools to support us on agencies – like we supported them on the ratios issue?

I suppose – what will you do for us that other membership organisations aren’t already doing...

Hope you have a good day! :D

I echo Sarah's questions, as I said to you on the phone, I am not a member of any organisation at the moment due to the lack of support or activity from the ones currently available, so I would be interested in PLA's input for CM's specifically

Look forward to your feedback, and hope it goes well :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
01-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Both those questions on my agenda alrady...
It is also the other way round...how do cms want to be represented?
what is important to you as a cm?

- What do I get for my membership fee?
- What have you done so far to protect my independence?
- Do you have a place where I can talk to other members and ask questions?
- Do you offer training / books / paperwork?
- How quickly will you get back to me if I have a problem or question?
- How will you support me to retain my independence in the future?
- What support are you able to offer should I have a problem with Ofsted - specifically if there is a safeguarding complaint and I have to close whilst the investigation takes place

Simona
01-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Thank you for those points
PLA have offered free online training for a very long time, yes they have publications and also offer qualifications

Check it out here
https://www.pre-school.org.uk/

PLA also support cms via CCentres which they themselves run...I visited the one in Hammersmith and Fulham and was truly amazed the support those cms get...all for free and with a crèche on site while cms do training...
I will find out more on this

Simona
01-07-2013, 06:22 PM
The meeting was good, lots of topics discussed... as far as I am concerned as an independent cm I would be very happy to be represented by PLA...I will now apply for their package and look at the insurance but that was never a problem for me.

The cms package will be announced in September so plenty of time to reflect...get your copy by calling PLA direct

One thing that struck me and I was utterly surprised is that PLA already do a lot of work with cms...we are not an unknown entity or something they had to think about or added on...they have had no concerns from preschools in including us and joining them, for me at least, this will increase the recognition of both cms and preschools practice
and will lead to more sharing of good practice

There is training available, even CYPOP5, a legal and support helpline, all paperwork including contracts and forms...in fact more than I expected..in time we will be able to judge.

PLA is happy to represent independent cms or agency cms
I liked the positive engagement they have with policy makers and Ofsted who they meet every 3 months and any issues discussed reflect preschools and cms' concerns.

On agencies they are not in favour because there is no evidence they would lower costs and increase quality

We spoke for 2 hours but I don't want to write a lengthy report...I suggest you get the package and we can discuss further

The CEO thanked again all those who participated in the ratio campaign...to him all mattered and all made a difference to the result of getting them reversed.

I asked him which Lords we need to write to about agencies (I have already posted these in the other thread but better put them here):
Baroness Hughes of Stretford (previous Labour Minister for Children) and Lord Listowel

AgentTink
01-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Thank you for those points
PLA have offered free online training for a very long time, yes they have publications and also offer qualifications

Check it out here
https://www.pre-school.org.uk/

PLA also support cms via CCentres which they themselves run...I visited the one in Hammersmith and Fulham and was truly amazed the support those cms get...all for free and with a crèche on site while cms do training...
I will find out more on this

Thank you so much for your feedback Simona as always thanks for getting this vital information for us.

In regards to the above post that you posted earlier, how do we find out which children's centers PLA run?

Stapleton83
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for that Simona, I would just say that when I was Chair for my local pre-school the PLA were really helpful in terms of over the phone advice and support when we had issues and no one else to turn to.

Sam x

Simona
01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Funnily enough I did ask if PLA would run more CCentres like the one in Hammersmith which is a real cms hub run for cms, in my opinion, but apparently it is not that easy ..also I was reminded many CC are run by 4Children who are setting up Childcare hubs...did not discuss that in details but keep your ears open

I suppose you could call PLA and ask just saying you would like to link with the CC if one is in your area....if no joy let me know and I will contact the CEO

I was a member of PLA when I run my preschool before becoming a cm...one thing I remember we did not have tiers of preschools or different levels of support as we get now as cms...all were equal and all got support regardless.

rickysmiths
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
The meeting was good, lots of topics discussed... as far as I am concerned as an independent cm I would be very happy to be represented by PLA...I will now apply for their package and look at the insurance but that was never a problem for me.

The cms package will be announced in September so plenty of time to reflect...get your copy by calling PLA direct

One thing that struck me and I was utterly surprised is that PLA already do a lot of work with cms...we are not an unknown entity or something they had to think about or added on...they have had no concerns from preschools in including us and joining them, for me at least, this will increase the recognition of both cms and preschools practice
and will lead to more sharing of good practice

There is training available, even CYPOP5, a legal and support helpline, all paperwork including contracts and forms...in fact more than I expected..in time we will be able to judge.

PLA is happy to represent independent cms or agency cms
I liked the positive engagement they have with policy makers and Ofsted who they meet every 3 months and any issues discussed reflect preschools and cms' concerns.

On agencies they are not in favour because there is no evidence they would lower costs and increase quality

We spoke for 2 hours but I don't want to write a lengthy report...I suggest you get the package and we can discuss further

The CEO thanked again all those who participated in the ratio campaign...to him all mattered and all made a difference to the result of getting them reversed.

I asked him which Lords we need to write to about agencies (I have already posted these in the other thread but better put them here):
Baroness Hughes of Stretford (previous Labour Minister for Children) and Lord Listowel

This is really interesting Simona and thank you fro spending your time visiting and then writing the feedback.

It is good to see that another organisation is doing the same a pacey in terms of supporting all Early years workers.

One of my local CC is a PLA one and the bigger one with the dedicated building is a Sure Start Centre. They are both good and both now support local childminders running Meet the Childminder Evenings for parents and they run a Network for all childminders 4 times a year, they organise training via the LA. I have to say the manager of the PLA one was wonderful and got the ball rolling as the first manager of the Sure Start Centre was all pro cm until she got her Sure Start Status and then she dropped us like a hot brick! A new manager arrived last year and she has been much more collaborative and has arranged meetings for cm and other Early Years forums.

Simona
01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Not quite the same I feel...Pacey now supports cms and nursery workers while PLA supports preschools, cms, nurseries, CCentres and much more both in the private and maintained sector....quite a portfolio and all happy and united

rickysmiths
01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Not quite the same I feel...Pacey now supports cms and nursery workers while PLA supports preschools, cms, nurseries, CCentres and much more both in the private and maintained sector....quite a portfolio and all happy and united

No pacey membership is open to all Early years including Pre School staff, Nurseries etc.

Simona
02-07-2013, 06:30 AM
But one huge disadvantage compared to PLA: Pacey rebranded when it was totally unnecessary and against members wishes and chose a name few are happy with

anyway it is totally irrelevant now, to me anyway, as I have said before, I am not interested in costs but 'representation' and members' level of satisfaction within an association.
Other cms can make an educated choice when they have studied the package closer

Back to the feedback...sorry I got home yesterday and had another meeting to go to so I was a bit rushed..
I remembered last night that I also briefed the CEO on LAs and networks...how they work, accreditation etc etc and also the recent change from CCF to LA model and the fact some may be setting up as agencies...

The other issue we discussed was Ofsted inspections.
I mentioned that many cms are 'anxious' about the new system and many may find this will push them in the direction of agencies...
we did discuss the 2 year olds ...for instance I asked if a cm was looking after a 2 yo and then got satisfactory would she have to hand the 2 yo back???

If you saw the NWorld article last week PLA are aware of this problem and have written to Ofsted asking for clear understanding of the inspection grading system...I am sure we will hear more

Ofsted challenged over 'pre-determined inspections' | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1188092/ofsted-challenged-pre-determined-inspections?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

FussyElmo
02-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks for that Simona :thumbsup:

The PLA does seem does be wanting to support the childminders :D

Smiley
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I have been a member for just over a year and attended the Leeds branch AGM last year. There were a few childminders there and the workshops were very good.

It is worth listening to their last webinar which took place last week, it was about Ofsted grades

Simona
02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Great to know we have a PLA member...do share what is good about them, why did you choose PLA and not any other association? what do they offer that really matters to you?

In my NWorld edition which I received today there was a PLA booklet on their publications...good grief!!! they do have an awful lot...some of the books I have already and bought when doing my degree...so that bit impressed me

Smiley
02-07-2013, 07:21 PM
I think most of us have heard of them from many years ago. I've also known NCMA staff who were tutors for them and childminders who are on regional committees. Indeed it was a childminder committee member who encouraged a couple of us to look at their membership package just over a year ago. We were also asked for some input into some mini guides that were being developed for childminders.

We had to join as a toddler group and up until now they havent been able to offer childminders insurance. As we know everything is in place now. A deciding factor for me was also the free online Educare training, I've now done about six of those. I have a membership card which says 'Registered Childminder' and receive their magazine of which there are 10 each year.
I've been impressed with the articles written by the chief exec and think Neil is well informed about the whole sector.

Simona
03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
It is proving to be a week of action and communication on all sides...great!

Following the meeting with the CEO he informed that he met Ofsted the next day and argued about agencies
They have also issued a press release about agencies and I have posted this in another thread but here it is again

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sectornews/15/cost-of-training-and-development-for-agency-registered-childminders-to-be-passed-to-parents

I spoke to Voce the Union this morning...they too met with the policy makers yesterday
I was told there are 3 LAs interested in agencies...the rest appear to be businesses
Voice want the 'regulation' of all providers so very much against agencies
She suggest cms relax and not worry at present as the pilots are only around certain aspects of the agencies and opposition is huge
So do not talk yourselves in joining anything yet...sit and watch

I emailed 4 Children CEO Sue Robb for clarification on what childcare hubs are...fingers crossed she will reply!

I have posted several questions on pacey Local for them but not getting an awful lot back...apparently my questions are 'complex'....no they are clear:
why is the IPPR survey delayed?
what are childcare hubs?
why is the DfE meeting with cms and @Home Childcare but refuse to even answer one of our questions and where are those meetings they promised us?
Have they approached Lancashire LA which seems to be the only LA expressing an interest in agencies?

...and finally I am preparing for the Shadow Minister for Children, Sharon Hodgson, to visit me tomorrow...not to watch how I care for children as there won't be any here but to discuss various matters.
I want to show her real costs and figures that make cost of childcare what it is...facts and figures not like those presented by the DfE but those on my accounts

I want to discuss why the Free Entitlement is the main reason for rising costs...because it does not cover ours and anything else that pops up I am sure

Many will know that she attended a 'community conference' in Twickenham, which I organized with another cm on 26 Jan 2013, to inform the Labour Childcare Commission and was told what needed to be done...we spoke about agencies too
I invited Neil Leitch to attend and he agreed to be on the panel

Labour listens to childminders' anxieties about free entitlement | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1168491/labour-listens-childminders-anxieties-free-entitlement)

After that cms here have a meeting with our EY and I am ready to ask about the 2 yo funding and why they have applied to the DfE for info on agencies and future of their 'precious' but non inclusive network

After this week I intend to emigrate to Reggio Emilia and get a job there!!!

Simona
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
My meeting with Sharon Hodgson was very very good...I was able to fill her in all the things that go on at ground level
and she was quite surprised but it will inform her future debayes

We discussed the LAs particularly the discrepancies in providing support for cms, the 2 year old funding, agencies and networks and much more...she asked for a summary to be sent to her so that she can take it to her party CCommission

I also attended my EY cms meeting and that was not as good...they have applied to pilot agencies
Cms still need to belong to a network to draw the funding for 2 yo, no news whether that means we can also do the 3 and 4 yo...they kept saying they need to hear from the DfE...which is confusing because they have given clear indication of what the LAs need to do??

If a cm who is good/o's does not want to join the network, which they recommend, she can still do the funding but I got the feeling we are basically on our own...and we need to tell them on 1st Sept if we are willing to take 2 year olds

All in all it seems the LAs can still dictate their terms so we have work to do...not a happy bunny tonight but want to sleep on it before I email the DfE

How are you all getting on with your LA?

Forgot to mention my LA unveiled their training plan and how much it is going to cost for some training...I am sure many LAs will do that soon...not sure where we rea going to get the money to pay for all of it

sarah707
05-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Our LA tell us - the DfE say xxx but here in Cheshire East we will be doing yyy... :D

Simona
05-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Totally so Sarah...but please please do not let them fob you off

My LA emailed me saying 'we have applied to the DfE for info on agencies, we will be watching the pilots but not rushing into anything'
...last night they informed us they are waiting to be told if they are part of the pilots!!
why be economical with the truth?

Non network cms were asked to put their name on the waiting list if we wanted to look after the 2 year olds...so a month ago I did so.

I attended our EY-Cms meeting last night as I understood they were going to discuss 'block-booking' for the 2 year olds...
instead I was told they still don't have any news from the DfE, I would need to join the network (my EY recommends this) but if I don't want to that will not be compulsory ...which basically meant you are on your own....and I have to ring them on 1st Sept and they will let me know when some 2 year olds come along and block book the places

On top of this all I heard last night was about 'paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork'...they are sooooo busy devising new ones so they are totally in control ...it would be death by paperwork!

Can anyone explain what is going on?
Watch out what you are told or not maybe...either way can the LAs be believed or are they just acting to save their jobs?

AgentTink
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Sefton LA is still doing the same, we need to be accreditated to offer any funding for 2,3 and 4 yr olds. They have slimed the process down a bit, 4 visits to go through paperwork and processes, so im hoping that come september i will nearly be there. Luckily I have not had to fill out any forms yet, it is all about them coming to my practise and looking at how i do things and them telling me what i need to have in place in order to get accreditated.

The problem in our area is that they believe they will have a shortfall of 570 places for 2 yr olds and so are desperatly trying to get as many settings on board however the issue lies in that obviously most of the vunerable 2 yr olds come from particular postcodes and those settings cant take any more, and other postcodes who do have settings that could help are just too far away for the families to be able to travel to. So it appears they are in a catch 22 situation. I am on the boarder of one of the postcodes so it will be a case of wait and see come spetember if any children get placed with me come September.

Simona
05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
I am sad to hear many LAs continue to do as they please
I have emailed the guy in charge at the DfE and told him about my LA as I have kept him informed and obviously mentioned that many cms are in the same position

Up to him if he wants to tell Truss about it..I wished her good luck in getting her policy rolled out as it looks like many 2 yo will not have a place at this pace

I have also reported it to someone who will raise this matter where it can be heard...I suggest cms do the same if this issue is a worry to you

I have 2 families waiting for full time care and cannot keep them waiting any longer so if my LA needs me they can call me...I have tried my best but my patience has come to an end.