PDA

View Full Version : book-clubs?

Blackhorse
08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
are they any good? not sure if/which I should join...
Don't want to be forced to buy loads...

any ideas, recommendations??:idea:

katickles
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I very very nearly joined one last week. I thought it would be nice to collect a nice selection of books for my dd.

Only thing that puts me off is the obligation to buy so many throughout the year. I have been told by people that where they are in the catalogue for about £4/£5 at the begining, when you have to start paying full price & postage your looking at about £20!

Will be interesterd to hear what others say.

sarah707
08-07-2008, 10:03 AM
They are good to start with but the prices creep up... my ex used to join them but they got very expensive then they started sending him books he didn't want so muggins here had to go to the post office and pay to send them back ...not impressed! :rolleyes:

There are a few good book companies that do not operate as a club ... they are worth looking at.

I always compare price and availability on www.play.com and www.bookdepository.co.uk as well.

Hope this helps :D

Polly2
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Have you tried the book people?

You don't have to buy a minimum amount and prices are really good

www.thebookpeople.co.uk

Chell
08-07-2008, 09:32 PM

www.thebookpeople.co.uk

You can normally get a free postage code if you search the net too. I just got my son some Oxford Reading Tree books, a set that worked out at £1 each. We've used them lots of times. Ive had sets of animal books, sets of fiction stories, lucky dips, etc. They've always been fab. :clapping:

Blackhorse
09-07-2008, 07:42 AM
thanks for all your replies..

I will definately check out the book-people then.....

have a nice day!!

venus89
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I'd reccommend the Book People too - I've been using them for 7 years now, I think, and I've never had a complaint :)

Jules27
19-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I belonged to one once, can't remember which one... cheap to begin with... then prices creep up and up.. then they started sending books I didn't want/order. Rung and emailed loads of times to cancel membership... took ages for them to cancel it so personaly I wouldn't bother!! I have used The Book People with out any problems.. they usually have sets of books for really low prices.... great for presents!!! saves ££££££'s! If its books for your mindees or own children, not as presents, have a look at your local bootsale... i'm a sucker for kids books and never paid more than 30p for a book at a bootsale!

Julesxxx:D

Rubybubbles
19-07-2008, 09:26 PM

www.thebookpeople.co.uk

I recommend the book people to! I used to work for them:D

MissTinkerbell
22-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I used to belong to Books For Children (BFC) and had some really good offers to begin with and as long as you bought 4 books in the first year, after that it didn't matter. They did used to send the Editors Choice every month but then I rang them up and got it so they would tell me the title, I'd go online and accept or reject it.

TBH the books weren't that much cheaper and I now use either The Book People or Red House Books. You can both online and Red House send out a catalogue. Also look for discount codes on various sites for free postage, etc.