PDA

View Full Version : Cats.....

Mrsh3103
30-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Does anyone have any child safe ideas on how to stop cats from using my garden as a toilet? I'm fed up of going out every morning & clearing poo off my flower beds & grass! They aren't bothered where they do it, the middle of the lawn is currently their favourite spot.
Hubby has suggested barbed wire or an electric fence but I think ofsted would frown on that :)

Daisy De
30-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I have cats and have always said to my neighbours I am happy to come round and clear up after them. I'm surprised they do it in the middle of a lawn though, it may be foxes. I have dogs as well so do not have a problem with other peoples cats coming in but we do get a lot of foxes. Sadly I can tell the difference between dog, cat and fox poo :blush:

JenRudd
30-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem as my two cats insisted in using my lawn as their giant litter tray and I was so fed up with having to go out everyday cleaning up after them.

So at the beginning of the summer I looked into what was the best thing to try and stop them. I ended up purchasing a PestBuy ultrasonic cat scarer which came with a 100% guarantee to stop any cats messing on the lawn within its ultra sonic radius. (Yea right I thought!!)

I got it off eBay in the end for about £25, I was very sceptical and when it came I set it all up expecting my cats to go crazy and run out if the garden. However rather than being scared they were more interested in sniffing it! So I thought what a waste of money, but..... to my amazement it has worked I have never had to pick up another piece of poo from the lawn!!

I think the battery's have actually ran out now and it doesn't even work but they've obviously found somewhere else to go now! :-)

Defo recommend it as worth a try. Xx

FussyElmo
30-06-2013, 02:15 PM
A dog!! Or arm the children with waterpistols :laughing::D:laughing:

AliceK
30-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I've never known cats to poo on the lawn, they like to bury what they've done. Are you sure it's not foxes. They'll do it anywhere.

xxx

Tazmin68
30-06-2013, 08:28 PM
This actually works. I found out that old filter coffee grains are supposed to do the trick so as a friend had this problem I emptied the old used coffee from our tassimo used pods she sprinkled it on her flower beds and it has done the trick and her plants are no longer being killed by cat wee and finding car poo.

Mrsh3103
30-06-2013, 08:32 PM
It's definitely cats, I've caught them in the act a few times. I'll try the coffee before I spend money on anything.
I like the idea of water pistols :)
Thanks for the advice!

Daisy De
01-07-2013, 05:57 AM
As a cat owner I am aware of how annoying they can be and as I said in a previous post my neighbours know I am more than willing to clear up anything they do. I also don't mind the water pistol idea but please don't spray it straight at them from close range, anywhere near them will have the same effect and once done a few times they generally get the message.

hectors house
01-07-2013, 07:01 AM
My parents have a cat scarer - we can't hear it but it freaks my daughter out!

Anacrusis
01-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Sadly I've got a cat who goes in the middle of the lawn occasionally so it does happen...

smurfette
01-07-2013, 07:52 AM
This actually works. I found out that old filter coffee grains are supposed to do the trick so as a friend had this problem I emptied the old used coffee from our tassimo used pods she sprinkled it on her flower beds and it has done the trick and her plants are no longer being killed by cat wee and finding car poo.

Car poo?!! Lol! Love auto correct!!

jackie 7
01-07-2013, 09:08 AM
There are the water jet things that when cat/fox walks in front it soaks them.

Miss freckles
01-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I have cats that come and poo in the middle of my artificial grass :mad:

I have tried the cat scarers, pepper, citrus sprays none of them worked, but the only thing that seems to have worked for me is lemon, I squeeze lemon juice onto the areas that you know they will go then put a few slices of lemon around e garden ever since I did that I only have the odd cat every now and then, which is good considering the amount of poo that used to be in my garden!!

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I might try the coffee from the tassimo, I have cats and one of mine poops in my garden! Frustrating

k1rstie
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
My neighbour had a four month period where their other neighbours cat used to use the back windscreen of their car! We had it a few times too.
They could not believe it was cats, and thought it was the kids, but they were advised by the police to install cameras, and they did film the cat doing a mr whippy on the glass.

It has now stopped! It was really upsetting to my next door neighbour, clearing that up every day, the cat also did it on the grass and in flower pots

jillplum
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I am so sorry I know it must have been upsetting but the cat pooing on the car windscreen made me laugh out loud. I wonder what on earth possesed it to do that!

The Juggler
01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
A dog!! Or arm the children with waterpistols :laughing::D:laughing:

trouble is they never come and poop when there's people around - it's night-time. I recommend getting your own cat :thumbsup:

k1rstie
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
I think the cat liked the windscreen, cause at 5 in the morning, when the neighbour left for work, he removed it! I think it liked the fact, to it kept disappearing, and that the next time it did it, the windscreen was always spotless.
I suggested they leave a joke shop poo on the screen, so it thought it had been beaten too it! They were not impressed by my idea!

They really had a film of it doing it, and then using its back legs to bury it/scratch the paintwork afterwards.

Mrsh3103
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
My ds4 & hubby really want a pet so I might consider it seriously now. Only problem would be ds 8months. He would try eating it :-/

Daisy1956
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a igloo type litter tray in the garage. My cats come in to use it so no problems with neighbours.