PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pool.

taiwallis
08-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Guys,

Just some advice needed. We share a courtyard to park our cars with next door house. This is fenced with a low wooden fence, litterally 3 pieces of wood so easy for kids to climb, get through. This only backs onto a field.
I am thinking it would be easier just to take a photo and upload.
Anyway. Next door have taken the upkeep of this field off our landlords so that they can put a swimming pool on it. However, before asking us they have gone ahead and done it. They have placed it right next to the fence so any child could climb and tumble in. They do not cover the pool. I am terrified not only for my children but also mindees. If they were to EVER get out of the garden (which they shouldnt and are always watched) or if they were to run off while i get them into the car???? (again i watch them). Am i being over paranoid - going to do a risk assessment now - but feel that i have to ask them to move it into the centre of the field and keep the ladder away so that it is not such a threat. It is enormous, and i fear if a child fell in, they wouldnt be able to get out again.
Any views - i have enclosed the website of the type of pool and size i am talking about.

http://www.ukpoolstore.co.uk/acatalog/above-ground-intex-frame-swimming-pools.html

any advice? xxx

venus89
08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I'd certainly ask them ti keep the ladder away from it, not just for your mindee but any local kids (or even animals who may take a drink from the pool). Do you get on well enough with your neighbours to talk to them about this? Maybe you and they could get a padlocked gate put in and a stronger fence?

taiwallis
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
ok - trying to upload photo. hold on. - it explains it better.

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
How do you get on with your neighbours? Could you talk to them?

Who's responsibility is the fence? If it is the landlords then he will almost certainly have an obligation to put up a decent fence for safety reasons.

Always tricky with neighbours as you don't want to fall out with them do you?

If the field is registered for agricultural use, then they may not be allowed to use it for leisure use (ie a swimming pool.). might be worth checking.

That wasn't much help was it,

foxy lady
08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
yes i think i would be very worried about this aswell
i think you should try to talk to them and come to some arrangement to make it safer. keeping the ladder well away would be a good start

taiwallis
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=627511&l=957f4&id=573657527

picture is too big to attach but i think this may work - it explains it better i feel. x

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Just had a look at the photo, they are having a laugh aren't they.

I would have thought they would definitely be liable if any child fell in.

If you get on alright with them I would raise concerns about the position they are putting themselves in with the possibility of someone suing them, you can make it seem that you are concerned for them. If that fails then try the same thing with the owner of the land.

Hope that helps.

crazybones
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
OMG why place it so close? I would definitely have a word if you can before you have to take it further.

Blackhorse
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I am not sure about laws etc, but common sense would suggest that it has to be secured if not in use...I.e. covered properly and ladder taken away

I think I would worry about this too.
You can be very vigilant with the children but there is always a chance that certain circumstances arise where accidents might happen.

I would go and speak to the neighbours and tell them about your concerns. Maybe they just haven't really thought about it....
If they don't have any kids they might not realise...(although I think they should have)

I also agree that it could be a hazard for other kids and animals....

taiwallis
08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
thanks - have asked to meet for a coffee to discuss. I get on with them so well but know they will not be happy - it takes 2 -3 days permanently with hose on - that probs costs alot!
Will keep you posted!
x

littletreasures
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
It should definitely be moved away from the fence. Even if the ladder is taken away as you say the kids could still climb the fence and fall in.

I hope your meeting goes ok.

littletreasures

venus89
08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Ah... i see what you mean. What on earth possessed them to put it there?
Hope the coffee meeting goes well - let us know.

lovely area you live in

avril
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
OMG :eek: :eek:

Definately have a word, as children can be so curious and accidents do happen! Fingers crossed you get a satisfactory result.

taiwallis
08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I thought that i should complete a risk assessment, and then give her a letter while she is here (we are good friends) with a copy of the risk assessment to absolve myself, and show that i am trying to work in the best interests of the children. I understand if you dont have a paper trail then it is just word against word. If she then doesnt move it, i have got proof i have asked for it to be done. Having a blank of how to set out the risk assessment. using a bcma one, so areas to consider.... child getting out of garden - in place already is that it is shut and locked, and they are taught never to try and open , however next step, perhaps padlock it?
from there .... child climbs fence and falls in?
teach child not to climb fence when going to car.

from there? xxxx or is that it?

venus89
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
You don't want to be padlocking the gate in the garden though - wouldn't that be an emergency exit in a fire?

taiwallis
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
i know - i had thought of that, but i do have another potential fire exit from the garden but that leads to the front of the house, which is gated but then leads to road so not happy about using it and not one i have in my fire evacuation.

so - is there nothing i can do?

what do i do that i have put in place/ or going to put in place - just gate is shut, and have taught children not to go near it and that have written to neighbours asking for pool to be a. taken down, b. moved, c. covered, d. steps put away.

is that it - it seems such a hazard i am panicking about it.

venus89
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Well... hopefully your neighbours will see your point. If they move it and cover it and take away the ladder when not in use then there's no problem. They may even let you use it yourself! But I think you're doing the right thing by making a huge paper trail. I'd also mention it to the parents, perhaps, and say to them to make sure the kids don't climb on the fence when they're picked up/dropped off.

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Good luck with the meeting

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Think you have been dealing with this situation really well and you seem to have everything in order

Well done

Cant really understand though why they would put a pool so close to a fence anyway unless its easier to drain

They are not really considering the dangers are they

A child of 18mths died last week in our area - he managed to get out of his own garden and fell in his neighbours pool and drowned

They would never forgive themselves either

I am glad you are bringing it to their attention - only hope they are understanding

Keep us posted

Angel xx

taiwallis
09-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Update: unfortunately got nowhere with yesterdays meeting - they said they were aware of the risks and happy to take those, as they didn't believe a child would ever climb up and fall in. They said it would be worse to cover it as it works as a suffocation blanket.
My husband having another meeting tonight - and we have spoken to our landlord. It is his land they have the pool on. We rent his house. They rent a privately owned house. do the maths - please them or lose us as tenants.... and its not cheap here.
Hopefully it will sort itself out today, but it beggars belief that people can be so naive and i guess plain stupid, thinking 'oh it will never happen to us'. When it does happen it is too late.
x

angeldelight
09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Oh fancy being prepared to take any risk where children or animals are concerned I just dont understand people

Good luck for your hubby with the meeting keep us posted

Angel xx

babyandchild
09-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Bless you, what a nightmare. Best of luck for the next meeting, let us know how it goes x

foxy lady
09-07-2008, 09:01 AM
i cant believe they are happy to take such a risk?
have you thought about talking to citizens advise about this?
not sure if they would be able to help but its worth a try

Minstrel
09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
They may well be 'prepared to take those risks' but unfortunatly its not only their children who they are risking. its always the innocent who are hurt and in this case that could be a curious toddler. if these people do have children then they dont deserve to be called parents imho with their pea sized brains and zero common sense.

sorry that might be ott but i really dont like selfish people which i think they are being. they're not just being inconsiderate -its dangerous.

rant over

amanda

ChocolateChip
10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Have just seen this, and can't believe it!:eek:
Not only does it spoil your lovely view of the countryside, you'd think they'd want it in a bit more private place than next to where you,your friends and customers are parking(have assumed this bit so apologies if it's not right).

Not to mention all the previously mentioned safety issues!
Can only say that you are covering yourself with the letters, etc, keep on with the landlord and if you get no joy go to environmental health(?)or health and safety dept at your council, and keep documenting it all. Then god forbid anything does happen you will have proof that you have done your utmost to prevent it.
Probably what you know already so not much help, but just trying to offer you support in your situation. Hope you can get it sorted!

taiwallis
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
do you ever believe in Karma? i am starting to. So, as you know got nowhere with them. Gave them a letter stating risks and that i would like them to move it. Landlord coming to do a site inspection next week. HOwever, i have just learned they have been given their notice. (we have different landlords) so it will be going anyway. What is such a shame in all this, is that they are now blanking me, and i have only done this for the good of children. There really is no contest between child's life and a pool. so now they will move away and we will never be friends again. Life is a silly game sometimes. Here is a funny one though. When i spoke to OFSTED to ask if there was anymore i could do to cover myself, she thought i was asking my neighbours to dig up a proper in the ground cement and tiled swimming pool. It was only when she asked about their planning permission did i mention again about it being free standing - she was in hysterics for about 5 minutes. I didnt think it was that funny but i guess you find OFSTED with a sense of humour sometimes! xx

venus89
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
It's sad they've started blanking you but what a relief it will be moving! Let's hope your new neighbours are more considerate

miffy
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Well I'm pleased it's all sorted.

Shame they have decided to blank you but really they are no loss as friends if they can be as petty as this and as for saying they didn't believe the children were in any danger from their pool - how naieve (sp?) can you be?

Hope you get that Ofsted inspector for your inspection - think she might remember you :)

Miffy xx

Pedagog
14-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Well I'm glad it is sorted out, shame they are blanking you.

taiwallis
14-07-2008, 09:38 AM
i am emotionally exhausted! All sorted now. They are not moving - they were thinking of moving because i had asked for the pool to move and they were upset with me. They had a lawyer check over the letter i sent and the lawyer said that they hadnt got a leg to stand on - she thought OFSTED had written the letter on my behalf!!
We had a meeting on Sat night, and have resolved it all. They understand it is not personal now. So they are moving it. It is currently draining - takes forever!!
Thanks for the support. x

Pedagog
14-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Oh well glad it is sorted and they are talking to you.

angeldelight
14-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Glad you sorted it out in the end

Angel xx

babyandchild
14-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Hello

Really pleased you got it all sorted out. Hope you can all still be friends x

littletreasures
14-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Glad you got this sorted out amicably in the end.

littletreasures

flora
14-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Glad you got a good result in the end :thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
14-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Glad to hear it's sorted out now. :clapping: