PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and laundry etc...

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 04:55 AM
Morning everyone,
After a hard week at work, Friday evenings have always been my time with hubby and 3 boys....which are great and help me to relax for the weekend. This has never changed...
Although recently it seems like I then spend most of the weekend catching up on cleaning, laundry, personal paperwork etc and suddenly it's Monday again and the same cycle starts...am I the only one like this?!
I popped round another CM last week and her house was so organised, clean and tidy...which made me feel worse!
work comes first during the week and when the mindees go home I finish off paperwork for the day, sort my boys dinner and do the bedtime routine...I've then got very little time, energy or inclination to do housework.
Am I doing something wrong? I never used to have this problem lol!!
Sarah x

Koala
30-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Whatever it is, I have the same problem. :panic: :panic:

kp0781
30-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi I have 2 little ones 3 1/2 and 13 months and work 8-6 4 days a week. I feel like I'm on a chore merry go round at the mo!!! Obviously we can get very little done while the kids are up. We have taken to blitzing the house on a Friday night. It's a killer and I hate it but then we are set up for the weekend. I have a very shiny new kitchen that shows literally every finger print so everything needs cleaning!! I've stated using 2simple app which helps with the obs. But essentially I feel your pain......we don't earn enough for all the extra curricular activities. I hate to work on the weekend and tend to use Monday eve to catch up

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Whatever it is, I have the same problem. :panic: :panic:

Lol! We need a forum doctor to prescribe a weeks holiday...

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi I have 2 little ones 3 1/2 and 13 months and work 8-6 4 days a week. I feel like I'm on a chore merry go round at the mo!!! Obviously we can get very little done while the kids are up. We have taken to blitzing the house on a Friday night. It's a killer and I hate it but then we are set up for the weekend. I have a very shiny new kitchen that shows literally every finger print so everything needs cleaning!! I've stated using 2simple app which helps with the obs. But essentially I feel your pain......we don't earn enough for all the extra curricular activities. I hate to work on the weekend and tend to use Monday eve to catch up

We tried blitzing on an eve but found that the boys just wanted to sit down with us both for a while before bed...also weekends are busy anyway cos eldest (10) plays for a local footie team who I sponsored so feel like I should be there cheering them on! Middle son (8) plays tennis and so does our 4 year old...add on trying to visit family and friends and there is no spare time :'(

I also use the 2simple app...works like a dream however ofsted recently visited and I was told 'need to work harder on these'...grrrrrrr....although I personally rate the app highly!

jax clinch
30-06-2013, 08:24 AM
If you find an answer let me know. I've got 4 children and every evening through the week is taken up with at least one of their clubs, then weekends are taken up with more activities, football, theatre school , swimming!!! I try and do it Saturday mornings but that isn't time to do it all. It has been suggested that the children do lots.. Too much but I haven't got the heart to make them give things up they enjoy doing!! I have decided as long as the downstairs is reasonably clean and tidy then the upstairs can be done weekly! Paperwork......what's that!! I end having a day catching up about once a month, but that's not enough. I always feel guilty if I start cleaning/tidying when I'm working but try to do a bit if the children are playing happily by themselves.

little chickee
30-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I actually try to get my housework done during the day.
Yes I'm working but 10 minutes here to put the washing on, or hang it out, 10 minutes there to wipe down kitchen surfaces.

I have a kitchen diner so when mindees are having morning snack i unload the dishwasher, clean the microwave etc.
I'm right there in the same room so i think its ok.

I hoover the kitchen/ diner after lunch and clean the dining table whilst kids are through in living room playing. i have a connecting door so can see and hear them.

Long and short of it is i try to get most of the housework done whilst working. Its all about multi tasking and balance.

Things like cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the oven etc have to wait til after work or weekend.

kp0781
30-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Bumble beez can I ask what ofsted meant? Really don't want to get caught pout on inspection. Thanks

I do the general childminding clearing up during the day. I'm talking the full clear down!!

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Bumble beez can I ask what ofsted meant? Really don't want to get caught pout on inspection. Thanks

I do the general childminding clearing up during the day. I'm talking the full clear down!!

If I'm honest, I don't even know...she wouldn't explain further as it 'wasn't convenient' for her and said to read thru the report when it arrived...
I feel I do good with LJ's...I plan, I observe, assess, plan next steps and link to their development areas and take all this into consideration when I plan again?!

My other post explains a little more...just knocked my confidence however am now thinking I'll just move on and put it down to a bad experience. Inspection before my one last wk I was told LJ's were great and keep up the good work!

I wouldn't worry, my EY outreach officer said I would be looking at good/outstanding and I got given inadequate...and I don't even understand why :'(

Sarah x

Leela
30-06-2013, 11:04 AM
We tried blitzing on an eve but found that the boys just wanted to sit down with us both for a while before bed...also weekends are busy anyway cos eldest (10) plays for a local footie team who I sponsored so feel like I should be there cheering them on! Middle son (8) plays tennis and so does our 4 year old...add on trying to visit family and friends and there is no spare time :'(

I also use the 2simple app...works like a dream however ofsted recently visited and I was told 'need to work harder on these'...grrrrrrr....although I personally rate the app highly!

Hi I got to the point where I was exhausted and not enjoying the weekends either. I got a cleaner to come in and although she terrifies me and I feel guilty about spending money on cleaning and not doing it myself she has been worth every penny. The thing is I am still inundated with paperwork and still do some every night including weekends. Please can you tell me what the inspector meant by you needing to 'work harder on these'. Am I wasting my time using this app?

Leela
30-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi I got to the point where I was exhausted and not enjoying the weekends either. I got a cleaner to come in and although she terrifies me and I feel guilty about spending money on cleaning and not doing it myself she has been worth every someone. The thing is I am still inundated with paperwork and still do some every night including weekends. Please can you tell me what the inspector meant by you needing to 'work harder on these'. Am I wasting my time using this app?

Sorry meant every penny and just saw your reply to the app. They should explain what they mean did they want more observation on the app? Do you do separate planning to the app?

rickysmiths
30-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I have been childminding full time since 1995 and when I started I had a 2yr old and an 11mth old of my own and I took on a 16 week old baby 5 afternoons a week term time. Fitted well because it gave me the mornings with my two and the holidays were free with my teacher husband.

I had had nearly 2 years at home as a sahm before I started minding so even though it was just afternoons it was a shock to the system to start with. However I choose to be a childminder so I could stay at home with my two and work from home.

I absolutely do do a certain amount of house work during the day. Washing goes in and out on the line I can be with the mindees all the time. In the winter the washing is done through the day (only once a week normally I might say) and then it goes on airers as soon as the children have gone home and most of it is dry and I fold it in the morning before the children arrive. Ironing is done at the weekend or in the evening.

I sweep my vinyl floors every morning and evening and steam them at the weekend it takes about 30 mins to steam them.

Dusting I do as and when, if the children are playing happily then I may get the duster and polish out and do some. I also have a large kitchen diner with a white glossy new kitchen. I wipe the surfaces as I use them, dirty stuff goes into the dishwasher and any hand washing up is done as I go alone or when the children are asleep after lunch.

I have 23 windows and two lots of French doors in my house so if the children are playing in the garden I may clean the windows as well. I can reach the outside ones all around the back of the house and they overlook the patio and garden so I am with the children all the time.

If I am making a meal I will often do a large for example cottage pie and do a small one for the mindees at the same time.

The downstair toilet is cleaned every night.

I blitiz the upstair bathrooms on a as needed during the week and thoroughly on a Sat or Sun am.

I polish the kitchen cupboards and drawers as needed when the mindees are eating or sleeping.

Doing this means that not everything is left to the weekend.

When my children were little and I took on more mindees I did have

dette
30-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm following flylady.she gives you easy to follow routines and motivation,not everyones cup of tea but google her and see for yourself ,its helped me loads(and with 7 kids and 14 mindees I need all the help I can get LOL)

linda2girls
30-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Find a good cleaner, best thing I ever did. She comes for 3 hours Friday afternoon/early evening and then the house is ready for the weekend. I just have to do the washing and some gardening - although thinking of finding someone to help with the gardening :-)

Linda.

Nicola Carlyle
30-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I clean as I go. All downstairs is cleaned through everyday. Once it's done properly its easy to keep on top of. I do do all my washing and drying on a Sunday (or if we have a busy weekend - in the evenings along with ironing after my girls have gone to bed). I have a cleaner who comes once a week and hovers from top to bottom of the house and cleans all three upstairs bathrooms as well as giving bedside tables and windowsills a wipe over. She is a god send and worth her weight in gold. As for downstairs I clean through the day. I always wipe down surfaces when the children are eating at the table as well as empty and load the dishwasher, wipe cupboard surfaces, as well as brush and mop the floor last thing at night while they eat their tea. As they're eating tea I always clean the downstairs toilet, antibacterial spray and wipe my doors and handles and anywhere else little hands may touch. I clean any glass that I have like tables or mirrors and quickly run round with the Hoover to. I usually do this while playing 'I spy' lol. It's hard going but it gets done and once you get into a routine that suits you it does get easier. x

sarah707
30-06-2013, 06:23 PM
My lovely cleaner blitzes the house on a Friday - it's clean for the weekend and I can keep on top of it through the week.

she does all the floors, changes the beds, gets some of the washing through... she's a fab help :D

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I have been childminding full time since 1995 and when I started I had a 2yr old and an 11mth old of my own and I took on a 16 week old baby 5 afternoons a week term time. Fitted well because it gave me the mornings with my two and the holidays were free with my teacher husband.

I had had nearly 2 years at home as a sahm before I started minding so even though it was just afternoons it was a shock to the system to start with. However I choose to be a childminder so I could stay at home with my two and work from home.

I absolutely do do a certain amount of house work during the day. Washing goes in and out on the line I can be with the mindees all the time. In the winter the washing is done through the day (only once a week normally I might say) and then it goes on airers as soon as the children have gone home and most of it is dry and I fold it in the morning before the children arrive. Ironing is done at the weekend or in the evening.

I sweep my vinyl floors every morning and evening and steam them at the weekend it takes about 30 mins to steam them.

Dusting I do as and when, if the children are playing happily then I may get the duster and polish out and do some. I also have a large kitchen diner with a white glossy new kitchen. I wipe the surfaces as I use them, dirty stuff goes into the dishwasher and any hand washing up is done as I go alone or when the children are asleep after lunch.

I have 23 windows and two lots of French doors in my house so if the children are playing in the garden I may clean the windows as well. I can reach the outside ones all around the back of the house and they overlook the patio and garden so I am with the children all the time.

If I am making a meal I will often do a large for example cottage pie and do a small one for the mindees at the same time.

The downstair toilet is cleaned every night.

I blitiz the upstair bathrooms on a as needed during the week and thoroughly on a Sat or Sun am.

I polish the kitchen cupboards and drawers as needed when the mindees are eating or sleeping.

Doing this means that not everything is left to the weekend.

When my children were little and I took on more mindees I did have

Don't get me wrong chick, I do clean during the wk...I sweep and steam them every morning especially with 2 doggies! Some things I can do...although I'm a bit of a 'Monica' so love to clean and need things to be just so!
Have had to learn to make do during the wk but just can't seem to find a happy medium lol!
Just feel there is more to clean than I have time...
Sarah x

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 06:33 PM
My lovely cleaner blitzes the house on a Friday - it's clean for the weekend and I can keep on top of it through the week.

she does all the floors, changes the beds, gets some of the washing through... she's a fab help :D

OMG....I need a cleaner...maybe that's where I've gone wrong all these years lol!
Sarah x

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm following flylady.she gives you easy to follow routines and motivation,not everyones cup of tea but google her and see for yourself ,its helped me loads(and with 7 kids and 14 mindees I need all the help I can get LOL)

Flylady? I need to follow her lol!
Sarah x

oxfordshirecm
30-06-2013, 08:57 PM
OMG....I need a cleaner...maybe that's where I've gone wrong all these years lol!
Sarah x

I have a cleaner for 2 hours on a Friday and indie wonder what I did without her lol

hectors house
30-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Finding that I keep waking up at 5 am each day - so have been getting up at 6 and doing some cleaning then, cleaned the bathroom thoroughly one morning instead of quick wipe round.

Thursday morning (my day off) I remembered that the ironing board was still up in lounge (so I wouldn't wake everyone up, as it squeaks being put up), I got up at 5.30 - did hour and half ironing watching things I had recorded on sky box, was in swimming pool just gone 7 and in Asda at 8.30! Won't make that mistake again - I was exhausted by lunch time.

CLL
30-06-2013, 09:27 PM
I have just steam cleaned my floors! I was on my way to bed and remembered I hadn't done them. I don't mind housework but since starting minding I hate not being able to leave things for another day. Not like you can just close the door on it all in the morning on your way to work.

MessybutHappy
30-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but there's a reason I chose Messy but Happy as my name on here!!

I couldn't have a cleaner, I'd have to spend an hour finding the upstairs carpets before they'd be able to be hoovered, can't stand cleaning the bath but wouldn't want anyone to see it uncleaned, so would do it myself, and the kitchen is normally ok...what I realky need is a secretary!!!

clareelizabeth1
01-07-2013, 12:09 AM
I keep most housework like clothes washing spritzing the bathroom to when mindies arnt here.

Things like the kitchen the surfaces get wiped down after lunch and the floor vacuumed (i have a mini one so always at the ready) if children have been really messy i will steam clean it there and then inly takes 15minutes and i think its part of safety for them.

Looking after my play room i get the children once walking to help put all toys away, if messy play has escapes the tray and is safe fir them to sweep then they do. I vac the room while they are there sometime let them use mini vac to do it. I think its good for them teaches respect for there environment and help reduce my end of day cleaning. Other cleaning in the room i tend to do at nap times.

serin
01-07-2013, 07:58 AM
I make sure downstairs is clean because thats the areas parents might see. Upstairs is a weekend job which I hardly ever get to fit in enough time for. Clothes washing is from Friday night/Saturday morning to dry and collect Sunday. I try my best to hoover and mop the floor every day or 2 when the kids are not around. Sometimes they start at 11 so I get to do it in the morning.

hectors house
01-07-2013, 08:22 AM
When I did my ICP 8 years ago, we were told it was important for children to see us doing small amounts of housework - lots of full time working parents have cleaners, how can children engage in role play if they don't see anyone washing up, hoovering, sweeping floors, cooking?

I do most of the housework each morning before children arrive, but I start washing up lunch things while they are still eating their pudding and then I give them a tea towel and their plastic bowls, cutlery and cups to dry up. When playing in the garden I sometimes pull up a few weeds (explaining that only adults can pull up plants), wipe down the upvc on the downstairs windows and sweep up the sand on the patio (Health and safety as can be a slip hazzard) and hang out washing.

After reading this post I think I am going to go back to doing a few more household cleaning jobs as too much of my "own" time is spent doing housework and paperwork in evenings and at weekends.

Bumble Beez
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
So have tried to make the most of the 5 minutes I can grab here and there to get some cleaning done...seems like its working so far! If it works I can probably just deep clean every few weeks.
I've also signed up to flyladys emails and they are great too...plus my boys are doing the kids challenge too :D
Need to be able to keep that happy medium tho.
Sarah x

Chatterbox Childcare
02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Evaluate what is important and try and get your paperwork done whilst the children are playing and you finish observing. Mine all go to bed between 12.30 and 2.30 and I finish mine then and get food ready. Accounts are left to the weekend or Friday night

munch149
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Uhh I hate housework and its always such a mess. I vacuum every morning before the kids come and on an evening I vacuum and mop the rooms I can shut the door on e.g bathroom, dining room and playroom doesn't normally take long. I have a young child myself and a dog so can't clean the used rooms on eve as would be a mess again before I even went to bed. I normally find one evening every couple o weeks to do paperwork. Hate letting it build up too much as then I hate doing it more. Oh is useless only thing he does is cook tea and do dishwasher but then once we've had tea I start cleaning again.