PDA

View Full Version : Which knives and forks are good for preschoolers?

Maza
28-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good child size knife and fork? Actually, I have a couple of good forks (Mothercare) but the knives are rather blunt. They're okay for cutting up fish fingers but now DD,4, wants to help chop raw carrots/cucumber and I think the blunter knives would actually be more dangerous that a sharper one. A friend recommended the Pampered Chef kiddy knives. Any other recommendations?
Thanks x

miffy
28-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I got mine from Ikea - they do two sizes of cutlery and the smaller ones are just right for pre-schoolers

Miffy xx

Carolc
28-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I got a set from studio catalogue and its great. Can get their name on it too Xx

snortlet
29-06-2013, 04:48 AM
I have the Pampered Shef ones and they only work if you use them like a saw! They were free after a party some years ago and I wouldnt have bought them. When you cut a carrot its like sawing a tree down!

VeggieSausage
29-06-2013, 05:45 AM
\i use plastic IKEA stuff up until they are about 3, then I just use our normal cutlery....

halor
29-06-2013, 06:57 AM
I have steady co ones which are great, I also bought some regular cutlery off every but with the colourful plastic handles.

mummyMia
29-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I also have the Ikea knives and forks for eating but I as I understand it you are looking for a knife that your dd can use for food prep. I have let a 4 year old chop up fruit/veg when cooking using a real knife, obviously under very close supervision. I don't think it would be very easy at all to saw through a raw vegetable with a blunt kids kife, and would be very frustrating for the child. I have a couple of these Cutco table knives and have found them to be very good. They have a short blade with a rounded tip that is easy for children to handle but are sharp enough to chop veg easily, without needing to apply too much pressure:

Table Knife (single) (http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=1759)

Hmm, just looked around and can't actually find a stockist in the UK but maybe something like this would be similar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Devils-Lifestyle-Tomato-Knife/dp/B0012B4EXK/ref=sr_1_18?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1372497000&sr=1-18

I start off with things like banana, strawberries and tomatoes and then move onto harder fruit and veg like cucumbers and apples. I stand over the child as they are cutting and make sure that the left had is kept far away. I find that the children are so proud to use a real knife and they are very careful and good as gold. :)

Bumble Beez
29-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I use the ikea sets, knives are ok for cutting if you 'saw' the harder food such as cucumbers, courgettes etc. I find this sawing action a good starting point for the toddlers who's ready to move on to harder fruit and veg.
Work wonders to slice thru bananas, strawberries and such...great for buttering bread too.
Sarah x

snortlet
29-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I use the ikea sets, knives are ok for cutting if you 'saw' the harder food such as cucumbers, courgettes etc. I find this sawing action a good starting point for the toddlers who's ready to move on to harder fruit and veg.
Work wonders to slice thru bananas, strawberries and such...great for buttering bread too.
Sarah x

Here is the Pampered Chef one (if the link works!). not great for buttering and almost shreds things rather than slices. i will have a look at the Ikea ones next time I'm there.
http://www.pamperedchef.co.uk/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=10810&catId=4&viewAllOutlet=

Bumble Beez
29-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Snortlet...those look great! Bet my littlest ones would be chopping all sorts in no time...

Sent from my iPad using Childminding Forum