PDA

View Full Version : 1 year old discipline

kellyskidz!
28-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I care for a just turned one year old who is becoming a little monkey around other children. Nothing too bad but she is beginning to grab other children's hair, and hit them on the face quite often. She can't walk yet but is a very strong (and fast) crawler.
One 3 year old boy in particular is very wary of her, which seems silly as he's at least twice her size but I don't want him to fear coming to my house! Yesterday she actually rugby tackled him to the floor by dragging his legs from under him!
I told her no firmly and moved her away but she keeps 'going for' him. Not sure if she's picked up that he's scared! I keep telling her no and have told mum I move her away and she's fine but it seems to be becoming a persistent problem as its 4 times today's she's either grabbed him or pulled his hair.
Any advice on other ways to curb this behaviour welcome- as I don't want her to turn into a nightmare, she's usually so pleasant xx

munch149
28-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds familiar. I've had one in the past like this and she grew out of it. My own daughters now very similar. She plays quite rough with her dad and just does the same with other children so its not malicious but she doesn't realise it can hurt. Hoping she grow out of it too and soon x

Tealady
28-06-2013, 12:45 PM
A firm "NO" then move her away. Ignore her and chat to the injured party. If the other children are old enough to understand see if you can encourage them not to react.

DS used to slap children and adults in the face. He was fascinated by the reaction and like the attention. Once those two factors were removed it soon lost it's appeal.

The Juggler
28-06-2013, 12:51 PM
i have one like this. it was constant moving away. now she's older (nearly 2) I will put her at the door of the lounge until she 'calms down' or 'wants to play nicely'. she gets cross with me but then once she calms down she can come back in .

munch149
28-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I think it's hard at this age cos its difficult to tell how muh they really understand

kellyskidz!
28-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys, I thought the same as munch; I didn't want to tell her off when she didn't really know what she was doing. Twice more she's really grabbed at his hair and made him cry so I've told her NO and moved her to the beanbag and comforted the 3yo.
Since then she's once more gone to pull hair and looked and me and seemed to change her mind lol.
Hope she does grow out of it as she's lovely otherwise, maybe just testing the limits. Thinking I'm in for a fun few weeks regardless ;)

Mrs Scrubbit
28-06-2013, 06:41 PM
I've a similar problem -2 one yr olds that are normally fine together ....BUT....... put them in the double buggy together and one of them will just keep either poking at the other ones eyes / nose or pull at their hair. I keep stopping and removing their hand away and with a firm voice and a ' not happy face' tell them' NO' but they giggle at me and as soon as I start to push the buggy again they start again. I've now stopped taking them out together which is a shame but I can't have one crying all the time because they are being hurt. Help! xx