PDA

View Full Version : Continuation of care?

Karen8ell
27-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Hello I was wondering if I need to contact Ofsted about this situation or if it is classed as a continuation of care since 2012?

I currently look after 3 children under 3. At the end of August I am losing one of the children as his family are moving away. I have a new little one starting 10th September. So all good ...... Until im told today the move has now been delayed until the 25th September. Its a forces move so really cant be helped.

So if I have all until then for 1 day a week for 3 weeks (Wednesday's) I will have 4 under 3 (but still only 1 under 1yr)

Now do the 3 Wednesdays that me over my numbers count as continuation of care or do I need to get special permission.

I can't tell the new childs mum I can now no longer have her baby for another 3 weeks! As she is all ready to go back after maternity leave.

Any suggestions?

hectors house
27-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Tricky one - not really continuity of care as the new lo is the one putting your over your numbers - but few years ago I had a new little one booked in to start in Sept, one going to school part time doing settling in sessions (they need to be in school 10 sessions a week to be classed as a rising 5) and there was a few dates when I would have 4 children - I wrote to Ofsted to ask for variation, lady rang me and said NO - I said fine I will give immediate notice to the child who has been with me for 3 years (I don't do school runs, so once full time, I wouldn't have him anymore) as for the sake of a few half days he is costing me 3 days a week work. She huffed and puffed a bit, but relented. So it is continuity of care for the little ones who are leaving you.

FussyElmo
27-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Mmm tricky as the continuity of care is for the child who is starting. However the parents did give you notice and you are in your rights to fill that place. So because their date has been put back means that you are offering the continuity of care for them for a few weeks.

I would say yes as its just for a week and not permanent as long as it doesn't take you over you 6 under 8's :thumbsup:

Karen8ell
27-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Yes it's difficult isn't it!

It would only be for 3 Wednesdays, the last one being the day the family actually move so they could really do with me having him!

I have had permission from Ofsted before as I had 2 under 1's for a month.

I would only have 4 max as I don't do after school runs/care and my own children are 15 and 16

sarah707
28-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Following the rules of the EYFS you cannot have 4 under 5 if one of those children is new business.

You can only be flexible for continuity of care.

I am sorry and I know it is a very emotional subject but those are the rules :(

Ofsted will not get involved in variations any more. They will point you to the EYFS and the factsheet -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-providers-early-years-and-childcare-registers-may-c)

xx

Goatgirl
28-06-2013, 07:27 AM
You know there are rules,obviously, but I do sometimes think the reason behind the rules should take precedence over the black and white written word. The children all need to be taken excellent care of. If that requirement is met then families shouldn't have to be let down or our businesses suffer needlessly.
I would be explaining the ridiculousness of the situation to the parent whose move has been put back and explain that while you can't at the moment grant the variation, you will be able to the day the new little one starts, as at that point, you will have the exact same combination of children but can be granting continuity of care for her little one and not for new business. sigh.........

Good luck :thumbsup:

emma04
28-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Hello I was wondering if I need to contact Ofsted about this situation or if it is classed as a continuation of care since 2012?

I currently look after 3 children under 3. At the end of August I am losing one of the children as his family are moving away. I have a new little one starting 10th September. So all good ...... Until im told today the move has now been delayed until the 25th September. Its a forces move so really cant be helped.

So if I have all until then for 1 day a week for 3 weeks (Wednesday's) I will have 4 under 3 (but still only 1 under 1yr)

Now do the 3 Wednesdays that me over my numbers count as continuation of care or do I need to get special permission.

I can't tell the new childs mum I can now no longer have her baby for another 3 weeks! As she is all ready to go back after maternity leave.

Any suggestions?

Have the family that are moving given you notice? If so surely they will still be finishing with you at the end of August, of have you allowed them to change their notice date?

I think this is a loop hole in the eyfs system that needs addressing to be honest! We are supposed to ensure the well being of children at all times and messing them about for the sake of three days over three weeks is ridiculous and bad for business.

In my opinion if Ofsted aren't going to be interested in helping you accommodate these children because they no longer dish out variations, what are you supposed to do? It's not the same as just taking on a new child and going over numbers, it's very different!

I can't tell you to go ahead and do it anyway, but I would like to!!

Mouse
28-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Personally, i would do it. There have been many similar instances where this has happened - the child who is leaving has had to stay longer for some reason, but a new child has already been signed up. Ofsted have granted variations for it when it was still their job to do so.

I would be prepared to argue the case if questioned.

The continuity of care comes into it as the new family have already signed up with you. They have chosen you for a reason and have decided to put the care of their child in your hands. I very much doubt they want to go through the whole process again.

Unless there is an obvious flouting of the rules, ie. taking on brand new business that would clearly put you over your numbers, no one can say a definite yes or no. It is something you have to decide for yourself based on all the information you have. If in doubt, don't do it. But if you think you can fully justify it, then do.

FussyElmo
28-06-2013, 09:09 AM
As said by several member a lot of us think this would be acceptable however as Sarah as rightly pointed out it is still new business.

Its really hard to any of us to say yes or no as we will all read the guidance differently. At the end it is YOUR decision we can only offer advice :(

Yes being able to grant the new variations for odd overlaps and siblings without involving is good but it would be nice for them to clarify in situations like this where the op is trying to do the best thing for all her families.