PDA

View Full Version : Transportation schema - what to plan for?

samb
27-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I have a 16month lo who picks random things up, walks off with them and drops them places and then picks something else up etc. She is very hard to get to focus on anything. Today we played with balloons, I bounced them up, she got it and brought back etc (fetch!) this is about the most focussed I have seen her. As you can imagine the losing items is very tiresome and the taking other children's items just to drop them somewhere is difficult too but I thought it might be more useful to encourage this in a different way rather than constantly saying no! I seem to have been finding info about what schemas are but not really much about what to do with them. Does anyone know some good sites I can look at or have any ideas for me? Thank you. (Ps she also throws - trajectory)

watgem
27-06-2013, 01:12 PM
dorset4you is a good site also I think Sarah Neville has an ebook about schemas. Baskets, bags and trolleys/prams/wheelbarrows/trucks etc to load things in and carry them around and dumpxxxAlso a book caqlled Again!Again! I think it was Sally Featherstone but can't remember, I'm sure its on Amazon:)

watgem
27-06-2013, 01:14 PM
sorry just read your last line, I have ones with trajectory schemas, I give them scarves to throw, balls of paper wrapped in clean socks, soft balls (foam or sponge) things to aim at eg a bucket to throw there things in, wet sponges outsidexxx

Leela
27-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I have a 16month lo who picks random things up, walks off with them and drops them places and then picks something else up etc. She is very hard to get to focus on anything. Today we played with balloons, I bounced them up, she got it and brought back etc (fetch!) this is about the most focussed I have seen her. As you can imagine the losing items is very tiresome and the taking other children's items just to drop them somewhere is difficult too but I thought it might be more useful to encourage this in a different way rather than constantly saying no! I seem to have been finding info about what schemas are but not really much about what to do with them. Does anyone know some good sites I can look at or have any ideas for me? Thank you. (Ps she also throws - trajectory)

Have you thought about giving her bags, boxes and buckets with objects for her to drop in like bricks, puzzle pieces etc.

samb
27-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you- yes she doesn't seem to "use" anything to transport - there are bags and buckets and boxes to use as well as buggies etc but she just seems to like picking up waking off and dropping or just grabbing and throwing. She also doesn't seem to "aim" - although saying that she did help tidy up for first time yesterday and seemed ultra happy with every item she got in a box. Maybe she will "grow into" these things? I will continue to try. That Dorset website looks quite nice and simple- I do like that- sometimes it's too jargon filled!