PDA

View Full Version : two under 1

Memina
27-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Just a quicky!

I've just had my baby and was expecting not to have mindees younger sibling as mum was planning on giving up work. However she's now decided to go back to work in sept when baby will be 7 months old and my dd will be 3 months.

Am I allowed this?

Tazmin68
27-06-2013, 12:34 PM
I would say as taking on a sibling that you already care for does come under continuity of care. Of course you do still need to risk asses.

Debbie

serin
29-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I would say as taking on a sibling that you already care for does come under continuity of care. Of course you do still need to risk asses.

Debbie

To my understanding you are not allowed more than one under 1 so once yours is 12 months then you can.

Rick
29-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Have a read of Sarah's thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/119767-ratios-change-what-means-you.html#post1259508

You can take on a sibling baby so long as you don't go over your three allowed.

Memina
29-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Im so confused as when I phoned ofsted they told me to refer to guidelines. If this baby comes to me I will have 5 under 5 for 2 hours 3 days a week.

All through continuity of care as 2 are siblings, 2 are mine and 1 is new baby (sibling to after schooler).

Reading the guidelines I fulfil all the exceptions so as long as the risk assessment are done I think I can but just want someone to agree or definitively disagree!

Porridge
29-06-2013, 11:58 PM
This is why the exceptions are in place. Definitely continuity. It is not new business. Therefore, as long as you can satisfactorily risk assess, you are fine. :-) good luck! Xx

Memina
30-06-2013, 12:07 AM
This is why the exceptions are in place. Definitely continuity. It is not new business. Therefore, as long as you can satisfactorily risk assess, you are fine. :-) good luck! Xx

Thanks I'm sure I will need all the luck in the world! And lots of hair dye to cover the greys

CLL
30-06-2013, 06:14 AM
I would say it is within the remit of what is acceptable as continuity of care. As long as you do not have over 6 children under 8. I think you must be mad to attempt it and I know I wouldn't but I would say it is allowed.

sarah707
30-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Theoretically what you are suggesting is within the ratios exceptions rules of the EYFS. With very robust risk assessments in place and happy parents you can have 5 under 5 - if you can prove that the circumstances are exceptional and only (as you know) for continuity of care.

EDIT - can I just check please - another member has me doubting my advice - you are not going over 2 under 1 AND you are doing it for continuity of care for siblings (not new business). Thank you.

However - a number of childminders have been challenged on this type of exception by Ofsted - often as a result of complaints they have received about over-minding. In all the cases I know about, Ofsted have decided that the children's learning and development is suffering because the childminders cannot prove that they are doing anything more than delivering care during the time there are 5 children.

If you are going to do it you will need to be very, very clear about exactly how you are meeting each child's individual care and learning needs - how you get them all outside - how they are all individually learning - how they are making good progress etc - maybe by doing regular reflections and updates on your risk assessments - things like that...

I hope this helps :D

Memina
30-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Theoretically what you are suggesting is within the ratios exceptions rules of the EYFS. With very robust risk assessments in place and happy parents you can have 5 under 5 - if you can prove that the circumstances are exceptional and only (as you know) for continuity of care.

EDIT - can I just check please - another member has me doubting my advice - you are not going over 2 under 1 AND you are doing it for continuity of care for siblings (not new business). Thank you.

However - a number of childminders have been challenged on this type of exception by Ofsted - often as a result of complaints they have received about over-minding. In all the cases I know about, Ofsted have decided that the children's learning and development is suffering because the childminders cannot prove that they are doing anything more than delivering care during the time there are 5 children.

If you are going to do it you will need to be very, very clear about exactly how you are meeting each child's individual care and learning needs - how you get them all outside - how they are all individually learning - how they are making good progresetc - maybe by doing regular reflections and updates on your risk assessments - things like that...

I hope this helps :D

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the advise. So here goes:
Two are my own (4yo & newborn but will be 2.5months in sept). Baby 7 months sibling of after schoolie. Almost 2 year old sibling of after schoolie and finally 4yo who went full time in January.

So only 2 under 1 and the 2 4 year olds will be at nursery in the morning.

oxfordshirecm
30-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Some good advice from Sarah- I. Personally read it as u can do it. However I would think very carefully about whether u physically can do it. I work with an assistant and have 2 under 1's and it can get very "busy" and very hard work especially if they teeth etc so doing that on ur own will be harder x

Memina
30-06-2013, 11:11 PM
My dh is registered as my assistant so can help out however I like to have the option of going out without him on occasion.

It is so hard to make a decision but will maybe say yes for now but will try out for 4 weeks n review how its going.

When my middle dd was 1 I also cared for a 6 months old and I remember it being very tiring! Will just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for the advise.