PDA

View Full Version : Taking on a 4 month old with my 1 year old

Clever Clogs
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi there

Just after a bit of your worldly wisdom again (this forum has gven so much - thank you). I've been asked to look after a 16 week old baby for 6 hrs per day - my son has just turned 1 last week. I'm really unsure if I should go ahead. n one hand it would be good - the minded baby at the moment is not moving around etc whereas my ds is trying his hardest to start walking therefore giving me the time to not worry about two of them trying to walk etc at the one time. On the other hand not too sure if taking on a young baby with my ds would be too much work? I'm thinking of set feeding times, bottles etc but then when I think of two very young toddlers not too sure if they would be even more work????

Could really use some advice here so look forward to hearing replies.

I have the double buggy, extra highchair and all the baby paraphenalia.

Thanks in advance

Tracey

Pedagog
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
When my eldest was about a year old I used to look after my niece who was 2 months old and it was fine. Juts try to time feeds for the others sleep time.

Spangles
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I think the best thing to do would be to get as much information as possible from the parents and see how the baby would fit in with your routine and what you want.

It may not be a problem at all once you have all of the information.

Also, if you have the 4 week settling in period at the beginning of the contract, if it doesn't work out, you can cancel the contract without notice.

As you know, as much as it's a case of the parent finding the right childminder it's also a case of the childminder finding the right mindee/s, it's a two-way thing, so I would just do as much investigating as possible and then make your mind up.

Good luck.

sarah707
08-07-2008, 06:12 AM
It will be hard work, but like Lorri says you have a 4 week settling in period for a reason.

Good luck - let us know what you decide! :D

charleyfarley
08-07-2008, 06:21 AM
I took on a 4 month old when Charley was 1 and had no problems. As long as you have a routine. I actually used to feed them at the same time as they got a bit older and it did seem to work.

As Lorri said find out as much as you can about the lo and have the settling in period as your get out clause if you find it isn't working.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine though

Carol xx

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 06:28 AM
It also depends on the children and how demanding they are

Think you can only find out by giving it a go and using the settling in period like mentioned

You have to think of yourself also - it can be really hard work having 2 little ones

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Keep us posted

Angel xx

mummyroysof3
08-07-2008, 07:20 AM
hi, im not minding yet but have 2 young children who are 2 years apart in age, i hope you dont mind if i give you my thoughts.

Try to bear in mind that with them both being so young they are changing and learning all the time and although activities wise they enjoy quite simple things, they are less able to entertain themselves which can be quite tiring for you and their routines will change all the time which means you will be less likely to plan ahead.

I hope i dont sound too down on this, but its better to go into it knowing what difficultys you might have so can be prepared for them.

On the plus side though you might get them to have a nap at the same time lol (mine did that about 3 times)

Sorry again for butting in just wanted to add my thoughts for you

charlotte x

ruby
08-07-2008, 07:35 AM
i love having 2 little ones together as they get older it makes it easier as they have someone to play with.

it can be hard work in the beginning but as soon as you get them in a routine it does ease up.

i guess its easier for me as having twins of my own i was use to it

but you will have your 4 weeks settling in period to see if it would work

cathy

katickles
08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
I would definatly give it a go - you will just have to have a strict routine & i do agree with the others about the settling in period.

Like you say - you have all the equipment so its just a case of routine.

Good luck :)

sue m
08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I agree with Cathy. I always had 2 children the same age - it just worked out that way somehow - and if you can cope it's great as they grow together and play together. I had a little boy of 3 months and a little girl of 6 months both started around the same time. This was before Ofsted decided you couldn't look after more than one under a year. It was no problem at all, they were good babies and everything went smoothly and as everyone said, you have your settling in period. I was 50 too when I had the two last babies.

Sue x x

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I have 2 children who are 16mths and 18mths

Very very demanding when younger - and the one is a screamer

But on good days now its nice because they play together so well and they are now getting into a good routine

Give it a go you will prob enjoy it

Angel xx