PDA

View Full Version : Can we remove splinters?

AliceK
26-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I was under the impression we were not allowed to.

xxx

Carolc
26-06-2013, 03:34 PM
I have before Xx

Nicola Carlyle
26-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I would have thought we could. X

charlottenash
26-06-2013, 03:51 PM
According to my January first aid, no we cannot.

I would. Absolutely bonkers! I bet a parent wouldn't be very happy if we called them just to remove a splinter.

AliceK
26-06-2013, 03:52 PM
hmmm, I'm sure I was told on my first aid training that we couldn't. I've covered it with a plaster now and will advise parent. Not sure what to do next time, although this is the first splinter a mindee has had in 4 years of minding.

xxx

FussyElmo
26-06-2013, 03:56 PM
We were told no - however bless her for the common sense approach she said if you get it easily then take it out :thumbsup:

But no we are not supposed to because it classed as an envasive procedure :)

hectors house
26-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I know I was picked up on having a pair of plastic tweezers in my first aid box - but mindee arrived last week and his dad said mindee had splinter in his toe but that he wouldn't let the dad get it out - I said just keep your socks on and have a nice warm bath when you get home and it will come out on its own. Later in the day he took his sock off and asked me to look - the splinter (which looked more like a prickle) was sticking right out - before he knew it, I had gently pulled it out - surely if he had just put his sock back on, it would have pushed back in again? - his dad was fine and relieved that he didn't have to wrestle with him at bath time!

bindy
26-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I was never told not too on my first aid (Feb) I would if easy to do, sticking out! Splinters, only very small can course a lot of pain. There is something called common sense

MessybutHappy
26-06-2013, 05:34 PM
If you put micropore tape over them, they work out easily overnight!

Jiorjiina
26-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I would probably say that if it's actually hurting the child, then have a go at removing it. Putting the besplintered body part in hot (as hot as they can stand) salty water for about 10 mins generally works well here. Other than that, I'd tell the parents about it, and let them handle it.

AliceK
26-06-2013, 05:55 PM
If this one had been sticking out I would have pulled it out no problem but it was one of those that was in sideways and no way was I "digging" for it.

xxxx

sarah707
26-06-2013, 05:56 PM
We were told no - and that we are not allowed tweezers in the first aid kit.

:D

bindy
26-06-2013, 08:39 PM

My first aid kit (Boots) came with plastic tweezers. These First Aid courses are starting to sound a little like Ofsted inspectors. LOl.

smurfette
26-06-2013, 08:45 PM
That's madness! I have twice taken out splinters From little ones who wouldn't let mum and dad near it.. And recently also picked some tiny stones out of a ****** knee after a fall (gravel) ., what would you do in that case then?!

The Juggler
26-06-2013, 08:47 PM
i knew about the splinters (don't agree by the way) but what if it was a bee's sting? no way would I leave that in - so painful :panic:

MessybutHappy
26-06-2013, 08:57 PM
i knew about the splinters (don't agree by the way) but what if it was a bee's sting? no way would I leave that in - so painful :panic:

I remember being told we could use a credit card or similar to try to slide a bee sting out? I do wonder if a screaming child woukd let me!

PS I too have several children who are brought to me by mum's to remove splinters...I have Magic cream (we all know it as sudocrem!!) that makes everything better!!

Supernanny86
27-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I was told on first aid course (march) to use credit card. I'd have a go at getting it out as I know I'd probably end up doing it anyway as kids would play up for mum and dad!! Anyways, of rather get it out than have a kiddy crying about how much it hurts all day!! H & S has gone mad! Common sense should prevail!! :) :)

Emra81
27-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I think I'm completely missing the point...how is using a credit card better than using tweezers?!

MessybutHappy
27-06-2013, 09:48 PM
I wonder if it's because with the credit card you are simply smoothing across the skin, whereas the tweezers could be used to "dig" & "pull" something??

But then again, perhaps it is just H&S gone bonkers!

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Working in a primary school for the last 8 years and being the first aid person lol - we were never allowed to.

Whether it is different being a cm I don't know but I would imagine its better not to and leave it to the parents (maybe contact them to inform them about the situation).

If you attempt to remove and the area of skin becomes worse - more irritated, sore, infected even.... I'm not sure if you would be liable more so..... Best to keep ourselves covered.

Tinkerbell1979
28-06-2013, 10:37 AM
According to my first aid no we aren't x

Glitter
28-06-2013, 01:23 PM
On my first aid course we were told not to remove them.

But teacher also said we should be sensible and if the splinter is sticking out and looks like it can be removed easily we could use a pair of sterile plastic tweezers to remove it, then clean the area and cover with a dressing. The tweezers should then be thrown away.

She also said we should never restrain a child to remove one as this would be against their human rights.

Miss freckles
28-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I wax recently told in my first aid to use your own judgement, if it was sticking out and very easy to pull out then do so, if its embedded leave it, but they also mentioned to have your own splinter policy with parental permission to what you will do in the splinter situation.

Donkey
28-06-2013, 02:37 PM
I wax recently told in my first aid to use your own judgement, if it was sticking out and very easy to pull out then do so, if its embedded leave it, but they also mentioned to have your own splinter policy with parental permission to what you will do in the splinter situation.

splinter policy:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::lau ghing::laughing::laughing:

have you got your

'children may breathe 2nd hand air policy' done too

I am pretty sure your being serious but I am wetting myself right now

CLL
28-06-2013, 03:14 PM
what is the world coming to??? Does anyone have a splinter policy? This has made me chuckle.

Rio123
28-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I have decking and the kids are always running out there with out their shoes on, if they get a splinter I will leave it and cover with a plaster if it's deep, it it's sticking out I will pull it out with my fingers... I don't know how anyone can grip anything so small with those ridiculous plastic disposable tweezers. I can't imagine the parents being too happy if they came to pick up, and their child had a been limping around all day in pain with a splinter hanging out of their foot, I know I wouldn't be! Having said that, my first aid course did say to leave it. I say use your common sense.

kellyskidz!
28-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Had to read it twice too! Can you imagine telling parents 'oh will you have a look at this new Splinter Policy' and the explaining the splinter situation to them?
Worlds gone chuffing crazy lol. Has made my rainy afternoon!!xx

oxfordshirecm
28-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I had my training with St. John's and was also told no as its an invasive procedure.

Jods
29-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Was told if its embedded to cover and leave but if removable and commonsense dictates so to remove, however water play is also a good way to remove splinters (as they tend to be on the hands), washing up bowl and warm water, some toys and hey presto it 9/10 times it slips out x

Jiorjiina
30-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Don't we all have a signed emergency medical treatment permission slip for the mindees? Or is that just me?

I have signed permission from all my parents when they start with me, in case I need to give a children emergency treatment and I don't have time to contact them. Perhaps I should mention that to them that I include splinters in this...

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 06:39 PM

I was told the same...although when my own son was in pain cos of a splinter I yanked it out with no hesitation...mindees are another matter tho, would not do it myself.
Sarah x

Miss freckles
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes, I was being serious I was told to have a splinter policy, don't think the trainer was too impressed when she asked if I had one to which I then said no and laughed very loud.

I don't have a splinter policy but was def advised to have one, madness!