PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on child minding please!

Jussy
26-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi
I am new to this and thinking of becoming a child minder. I am booked on the briefing session next week.

I currently work as a teaching assistant and have 2 older children ( 1 who has left school this year and the other leaving next year).

I would be grateful for any of your thoughts negative or positive. How did you start off? Does anyone know if there is a demand for child minders in the Hucknall, Nottingham area?

Thanks guys!:)

Becci26
26-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Hello and welcome :)

I gave up my management job within an opticians to start childminding 2 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did! For me though it was quite a lot down to having a better work/ family/ life balance. My dd was at 7 and had herself been in pretty much full time child care since she was 1 and we were all exhausted!

Up until recently I actually worked more hours than in my previous role but I have never looked back. :thumbsup:

Getting started was hard initially but once I had that first mindee I was lucky in that it spiralled and was busy very quickly. There was a definite need in the area though, in fact there still is and could do with a couple more CM's!

tinyp164
26-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi!

We are just at junction 28!

I was a teaching assistant too and after a year and a half of changing to do childminding I wouldn't change a thing!
My biggest tip is to stay organised! Sounds silly but if you let things get on top of you it can be hard to wiggle out of as there's no one else who will do it for you. But everyone on the forum and getting to know other childminders in your area can be fantastic help/support and spurs you on and you can share tips and ideas. :)
Having said that I love my job, getting to know all of the children and their families and seeing them grown up and flourish is amazing. :))

Wishing you all the best in your decision!

Jussy
26-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi Becci

Thank you for replying and with such positivity! Ive had some great feedback which makes me think I am definitely making a good decision.

Watch this space!

Jussy :D

bunyip
27-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Hi Becci

Thank you for replying and with such positivity! Ive had some great feedback which makes me think I am definitely making a good decision.

Watch this space!

Hi Jussy,

Tried to PM you again yesterday, but it won't transmit. Have you cleared your stored messages to make space to receive new PMs?

CLL
27-06-2013, 06:06 AM
It is not an easy job and yes you have to be very organised but I love it I find it more rewarding than anything I have done in the past.

Ellen1981
11-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi Becci

Watch this space!

I see you went for a childminding briefing session. Did you do yours in Nottingham city centre as I see you live in Hucknall? Can you please tell me how your briefing went and what happened on the briefing? I have a briefing in a few weeks in Nottingham. Am really looking forward to it.

Thank you
Ellen