PDA

View Full Version : Deflated ...

littleDs31
26-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Iv been childminding for 12mths and I have the original mindees I started (1 FT and 1 school pick up) and no more! I've had only a couple of queries which never amount to anything. I'm advertising locally, Facebook page, FIS and other free websites including childcare.co.uk but still no luck. On top of all that my DH has been made redundant :(
I love this job but Not sure we can carry on with my wage being practically none existent for much longer.
Sorry for waffling I'm just wondering if its quiet for everyone at the moment?

ziggy
26-06-2013, 08:33 AM
sorry to hear that, it must be very worrying. I was in same position this time last year, now i'm turning work away.

I guess lack of financial security is hardest part of this job.

Hope you find something soon.

Could you offer adhoc care for schoolies over the holidays? I often wondered if parents would like odd days during the long holidays rather than being tied into a contract

chriss
26-06-2013, 08:47 AM
very quiet here too, am advertising like you and had a few enquiries but they dissapear. Too much competition from nurseries, and I dont know how to compete with them, or how to just get people through he door for a visit at least.

Any ideas :panic:

kellyskidz!
26-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Yep, also quiet here and I'm losing three in Sept due to them going into full time school which leaves me with 1 part timer. Scary stuff.
I'm going to keep advertising locally and keep crossing my fingers until September then look at things again. Maybe I will have to stop minding and go and get a more secure job, which would devastate me.
It seems more and more people are using parents/grandparents instead of minders or nurseries, which I understand because its free but it doesn't help us lol.
Such a worry and there is no job security I'm quickly learning. Good luck to you, and I hope it picks up x

watgem
26-06-2013, 09:51 AM
quiet here too, and existing parents dropping hours in summer hols to reduce costs

Tazmin68
26-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi

This time last year I had 4 children in the EY bracket and I had two leave in the July due to moving house and the other 2 left in the August to start primary schools that I did not pick up at. Fortunately I had one school age child who comes to me school holidays only and the only other child I had was an after school child. I attended the childminding groups two days a week just to touch base and keep up to date with any changes. So no one From September till November and from mid November I was then suddenly full within 3 weeks.

Chin up
Debbie

yummyripples
26-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Do you go out and about in the community and show what a good cm you are? I have just been swimming and the staff have given me contact details for a lady who saw me a couple of weeks ago. She heard me saying I was a cm and was apparently impressed with the way I was with the children and that I brought them out as a lot of cm she has been to stay in or only go to playgroup.
Word of mouth is the best advert x

Tealady
26-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I really don't think we compete with nurseries as such. We are a different kind of setting.

I think it depends on trends locally and parents own take on what is best for children.

A close friend had a baby last september and out of her NCT friends she was the only one going to use a childminder. We live near a gold standard training nursery and I think parents feel that's the best place for their child.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2013, 12:35 PM
We are overflowing here but most of the work is word of mouth or childcare.co.uk

bindy
26-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Overflowing here too, but I never take that for granted, I would be in big trouble if I had only 1 or part timers, being a single mum. I'm always on my toes!

littleDs31
26-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I know what you mean about grandparents, how can you compete with free childcare :(
I absolutely love this job but I may need to think about something a little more secure.
I had nothing from childcare.co.uk and I can't afford to keep throwing money at it as its not a cheap service.
Maybe give it one last push and then make a decision.
Hope everything picks up for everyone :)

jackie 7
26-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I get my clients from chdcare. Hardly any calls from l a website.

ruby
27-06-2013, 08:41 AM
that's the problem with this job you never know what is going to happen month by month, we were only saying last year that we would be quite come this September

then 2 of our parents have had babies one has started and the other one will be starting in September.
now another 2 are expecting one in August and the other in December.

But it is hit and miss here so C/M are full and others not

Cathy