PDA

View Full Version : Help - Should I Try Again

Cheshgirl
07-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Hiya Everyone,

I was registered as a childminder in October last year whilst on maternity leave. A lady came round with her daughter and stayed less than 5 minutes and this really put me off as she said she had a few more to see and would ring me back (all others in the area were full and I heard that she eventully put the child in a nursery which she had been waiting to get into anyway). She was really quiet and so was I - I didn't sell myself at all and forgot to put toys out for the child etc - a real nightmare!! She also said my house was very quiet - can't help that I live in a quiet avenue - thought that would be advantageous! Anyway I have a daughter who is going to school in September and I also have a 14 month old daughter. I went back to work 2 days and am happy there but keep wondering if I did the right thing by not continuing with the childminding route. I convinced myself that I wouldn't want people coming round my house and kids playing with my kids stuff but wonder if I was wrong - help!!

shopshelleyd
07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi

I have been child minding for 11 years and my children don't thank me for it. They hate having other children continually in their home, using their toys, telling tales on them and taking my attention. I am always reminding them I did it so I could be with them but they still don't get it! To be honest if you are enjoying working 2 days a week I think you should carry on as you are. Don't get me wrong their are lots of positives to minding such as flexibility and you can be with your own children more and it can be quite rewarding but it really does take over your life and family.

Hope this makes you feel better.

:D

sarah707
07-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have been a childminder for 14 years. I have found it to be a wonderful job! Really rewarding.

My children have loved having other ones to play, they still have friends they made when they were small.

I have been at home for them instead of out working, my ds is often off school and I would have struggled to hold down a job ... but childminding I can be here for him, which has been great!

I love being my own boss - yes it's hard when nobody phones and I've not got enough work on but after working in offices I realise that the spontineity of going off for the day to the park when the sun is shining far outweighs the office gossip and back biting.

Why not try part time minding? Advertise and see who comes along? :D

Spangles
07-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I think you should maybe give it a whirl otherwise you might always wonder and regret it.

Don't let this woman put you off, she just sounds like a time-waster. For me personally, I would think that you having a quiet house would be a good thing but everyone's different.

Maybe you could do it for the other 3 days a week to start with so you haven't lost anything?

You just need a bit more confidence and this will come on it's own after you've had your first meeting with a nice mum!

That's my opinion anyway for what it's worth!

Let us know what you decide - don't forget we are all here for you!

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 06:50 AM
I agree with Lorri it sounded like a time waster and I have had them before

Dont let it put you off there are nice parents out there

Good luck

Like Lorri says we are here to support you and chidminding is a great job

Angel xx

ruby
08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
give it another go as spangles says just do it part-time at least that way you will know if childminding is for you without giving up your job.

my children are all grown up now but i enjoy chilminding so much could never go back to working in a office

cathy

venus89
08-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I've been minding for four or five months now and I'm really enjoying it. My kids love it too - they love having the babies here and helping me plan my themes, plus they get to use the things I but for the business which I might not have got for them. I enjoy doing the paperwork as I've always studied - I went from school to uni to doing the Open University - so I like to have something to get my teeth into. Equally, it isn't everyone's cup of tea - only you know if it's the job for you. Part time childminding sounds like a possibility so you can see if you like it or not?

As to the quiet house, some people like busy houses with lots going on, others don't. All my parents have commented how calm my house is and this is a plus for them. I'm rubbish talking to adults, but they're not after me as a friend - they know I look after their pride and joy very, very well :blush: You won't get every job that comes along, and you wouldn't want every job - there's no point if you're going to have a personality clash with the parent

yummymummy
08-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Could you not keep your part time job just in case the childminding isn't for you and try childminding again on your days off just to see how it all works out. You'll never know unless you try but if you enjoy your other job and things don't work out as you thought they would it may be too late to get your old job back.
Childminding is what you make it, you do get some trying children sometimes and some difficult parents but mostly they are lovely and more than make up for the sometimes nightmare experiences.
Give it a try what have you got to lose?;)

Cheshgirl
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. I guess I could give it a whirl for the 2 or 3 days that I don't work and see what happens - if I don't get any mindees then it won't matter as I will still have my other job.

Thanks for the advice - I'll let you know what happens!

Debbie xx:)