PDA

View Full Version : NO PLAY in new EYE/ EYT qualifications!

lisbet
25-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Just when I think this government's plans can't get any worse :crying:

BBC News - Play being 'pushed aside' in nurseries (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23033496)

Simona
25-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Someone ought to send the DfE, or whoever is busy meddling with child development, a copy the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and take a look at Article 31

Or is this govt so arrogant it will dismiss that basic right?

Supernanny86
25-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Utter nonsense!!

The Juggler
25-06-2013, 11:56 AM
OMG that is awful. Truss is really going to get her way. This is back to teachers who are taught how to teach but no nothing about child development and how they learn :panic:

So those graduates doign this qualification with about 2 weeks experience of working with kids WILL only want to sit down and teach them formally through structured activities.

This is actually getting scary now :panic::panic:

singingcactus
25-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Whilst it is disappointing and troublibg that this element has been left out of a government sanctioned qualification, i don't think the people who gain it will be expecting 2 year olds to sit and write worksheets etc. There are so many childcarers out there without any formal qualifications at all who still manage to understand that children learn through play. I think those people who are going to the effort of gaining additional qualifications in the field will be able to also realise that children learn through play.
The beauty of our country is, even though we have tits for politicians, we have actual, caring, intelligent, nurturing people within the childcare system. Those people will prevail through all the dumbass policy making and changes of leadership, just like we always have.

WibbleWobble
25-06-2013, 12:36 PM
This is how nursing went down the pan....

It is bemoaned that this generation of nurses don't care and don't know how to care.... And this is because they get minimal hands on proper up to your elbows in poo nursing when training

Madam wibble and her crystal ball.... Xxx

The Juggler
25-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Whilst it is disappointing and troublibg that this element has been left out of a government sanctioned qualification, i don't think the people who gain it will be expecting 2 year olds to sit and write worksheets etc. There are so many childcarers out there without any formal qualifications at all who still manage to understand that children learn through play. I think those people who are going to the effort of gaining additional qualifications in the field will be able to also realise that children learn through play.
The beauty of our country is, even though we have tits for politicians, we have actual, caring, intelligent, nurturing people within the childcare system. Those people will prevail through all the dumbass policy making and changes of leadership, just like we always have.

there are cactus but unfortnately as well as experienced childcarers going down this route, they are targetting young high flying graduates or high flying mature graduates from "other" routes as well. These are the people who won't know this and will want to be formally teaching them - just as Ms Truss wants. :panic::panic: I remember when the new trial qualification at Caterbury came out 2 years ago (somewhere between EYPS and the new EYT), they actually wanted graduates with 2:1 or firsts but NOT in early childhood studies - so I couldn't apply with 8 years experience of workign with children AND first class honours degree in understanding how children learn. But if I'd had a degree in economics -well they'd have welcomed me.

If they screen the EYT's this way then we are in trouble :panic::panic:

watgem
25-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I wondered why a local preschol is really pushing 3 and 4 year olds to be writing their names, recognising numbers,letters etc etc perhaps this is the start of it ?

sarah707
25-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Shocking :panic:

singingcactus
25-06-2013, 07:21 PM
there are cactus but unfortnately as well as experienced childcarers going down this route, they are targetting young high flying graduates or high flying mature graduates from "other" routes as well. These are the people who won't know this and will want to be formally teaching them - just as Ms Truss wants. :panic::panic: I remember when the new trial qualification at Caterbury came out 2 years ago (somewhere between EYPS and the new EYT), they actually wanted graduates with 2:1 or firsts but NOT in early childhood studies - so I couldn't apply with 8 years experience of workign with children AND first class honours degree in understanding how children learn. But if I'd had a degree in economics -well they'd have welcomed me.

If they screen the EYT's this way then we are in trouble :panic::panic:
I disagree, just because someone has come in from another career or route does not mean they will be ignorant of a childs need to play. Don't write them off just because they have the 'wrong' initial qualification. An intelligent person with a passion for early years education, remains an intelligent person with a passion for eye regardless of whether they have a degree in maths, physics, computer programjing or child development.

The Juggler
25-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I disagree, just because someone has come in from another career or route does not mean they will be ignorant of a childs need to play. Don't write them off just because they have the 'wrong' initial qualification. An intelligent person with a passion for early years education, remains an intelligent person with a passion for eye regardless of whether they have a degree in maths, physics, computer programjing or child development.

no I agree, there are always exceptions to the rule, but the problem is that for those who don't have this knowledge the course does not equip them with it. And there will be people seeing the title 'teacher' and not understanding what that means in early years. I'm not writing them off but IMO unless you have experience of children yourself OR have worked with young children, then you have to gain the knowledge about how children learn from somewhere and my concern is that the EYT just won't do that :panic: