PDA

View Full Version : having water accesible for los

adele1985
25-06-2013, 05:51 AM
sorry another question :blush:

how do you all have water accessible for the children. does this mean they are meant to be able to access the water independently?? I only have one mindee she's 4 and I normally just provide water for her in a cup and refill it when needed - should I be dong something different I would put the water in a jug for her to assess independently but im thinking this would be more hassle than its worth as my floor would end up like a swimming pool

Dragonfly
25-06-2013, 06:14 AM
If you only have 1 i would just make sure her cup is full of water. I have quite a few so i do provide a jug of water.

Becci26
25-06-2013, 06:31 AM
The children each have their own bottles with lids that they can access.
Saves on spillages!
We use beakers at meal times

CLL
25-06-2013, 06:40 AM
At age 4 Ofsted would be looking for more independence and they like children to pour their own. Maybe as a compromise you could give her a water bottle for during the day and at meal times she could pour out of a jug.

tashaleee
25-06-2013, 06:56 AM
At age 4 Ofsted would be looking for more independence and they like children to pour their own. Maybe as a compromise you could give her a water bottle for during the day and at meal times she could pour out of a jug.

Now you see in theory I can see the logic in this.. but for those working with an assistant who may have 6 under 3/4s around a table in reality this is a mess waiting to happen :laughing:

I think it personally depends on the children you have and the situation you are in... and each are different as to what works best which will change over time (but yes you need water available in some format for all children) :thumbsup:

hectors house
25-06-2013, 07:08 AM
I use beakers with lids for under 2's and for over 2's I provide their own cups and a jug with lid (think it is old tupperware) of water on the dining room table - they can climb up and pour a drink at any time.

Tealady
25-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Now you see in theory I can see the logic in this.. but for those working with an assistant who may have 6 under 3/4s around a table in reality this is a mess waiting to happen :laughing:

I think it personally depends on the children you have and the situation you are in... and each are different as to what works best which will change over time (but yes you need water available in some format for all children) :thumbsup:

DS's pre school have a jug and cups for the children.

I think the key to this is having child friendly sizing of the jug and don't over fill it. They also keep a pile of paper towels and a bin beside the drinks tray so they clean up any spills themselves. There are a few mishaps, especially when the new children first try, but they get there.

Supernanny86
25-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I just make sure they always have they're beakers with water in :) With my siblings I've always done a jug and cups otherwise its always can I have a drink??!! Lol :)

tashaleee
25-06-2013, 11:47 AM
DS's pre school have a jug and cups for the children.

I think the key to this is having child friendly sizing of the jug and don't over fill it. They also keep a pile of paper towels and a bin beside the drinks tray so they clean up any spills themselves. There are a few mishaps, especially when the new children first try, but they get there.

Which in a pre-school if they are 3 and 4 year olds is fine.... but with mainly 1-3 year olds and could have 6 of those for me with an assistant some days I will stick to sports bottles/lidded cups and save on the clearing up :laughing::thumbsup:

singingcactus
25-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Mine all have their glass of water on the little table. I refill as necessary, or they ask for more if I miss their glass being empty. If they are old enough they just refill their own from the tap (they might need a step to reach), or they get a jug and refill everyones. Spillages are not frequent at all.
But constant access to water means just that, and if you are keeping her glass filled up then she has access.

Helen79
25-06-2013, 05:26 PM
I have a sports cap bottle for when they're playing that I top up when needed and then cups at the table for snacks and meals and a jug once they're old enough to pour themselves.

shortstuff
25-06-2013, 05:39 PM
They each have their own bottle here, if the parents dont provide one i have old fruit shoot bottles which I use pretty stickers to put their name on. They love the fact that their name is on them and they are out all of the time.

Dragonfly
26-06-2013, 06:42 AM
Okay here I go to upset people not on purpose , but I don't like the use of sports bottles in the house, i think children need to use cups/mugs/ glasses . my mindees are given a small cup lidless from 2-2 1/2yrs yes you do have some accidents but lidded cups/sports bottles ugh! sorry.Also I like super nanny's comment for the older children if the jug is empty/cup 'can I have a drink please?'

Becci26
26-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Okay here I go to upset people not on purpose , but I don't like the use of sports bottles in the house, i think children need to use cups/mugs/ glasses . my mindees are given a small cup lidless from 2-2 1/2yrs yes you do have some accidents but lidded cups/sports bottles ugh! sorry.Also I like super nanny's comment for the older children if the jug is empty/cup 'can I have a drink please?'

It's not about upsetting people, everybody has different views and it's interesting to read others do..

I used to have 3 under 2's regularly which is why I prefer to use something with a lid, they would be constantly spilling drinks otherwise. Having thought about it again I do give the older children drinks from cups and put them higher up where the younger ones can't reach them.

All children are encouraged to be independent with water but more so at meal times.

bindy
26-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Under 30 months have a beaker with lid on, but do try and give each one practise without a lid with supervision. Over that age have cups no lids. Yes we have spills still but how are they going to learn to use a proper cup?

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2013, 07:12 AM
I have sports bottles about the house and have water, this way if there are any spills it doesn't matter and the children can take it from inside to outside

At mealtimes they have a cup (I start this at about 9 months with help and by 1 year they are normally proficient and using the cup themselves)

adele1985
26-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Expecting ofsted today or tomorrow

Couldent find a jug so thought I'd be resourceful and recycled a plastic milk carton as a jug :D hope Mrs O will appreciate it

hectors house
26-06-2013, 07:50 AM
I bought small open plastic jugs from Asda recently for our water table - small would be good for you as less mess if it gets spilt.