PDA

View Full Version : Car

skyblue
24-06-2013, 12:25 PM
My car which I used for childminding had just died on me and I am trying to decide whether to get another one or not.
I don't need a car to do school runs and there is a very good bus service into the nearest town.
On a day to day basis I didn't use it that much and a lot of the time was in to town and it would have been just as easy to catch a bus.
However in school holidays I like to take the children for days out to different places and I would be limited to where we could go without a car.
Do you use a car for minding?
What do you think I should do?

christine e
24-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I use my car numerous times throughout the day as school is too far away for the children to walk on a regular basis but I think if I were in your shoes I would at least have a go at trying to do without one - see what activities are available in your local community in the hols and use public transport if you are able

AliceK
24-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I've had 2 x 7 Seaters since I started this job and tbh I was fed up with feeling I had to have one. I don't need one for everyday use, we walk to school and nursery and have parks, lakes, shops etc within easy walking distance. One day I had enough and just thought how fed up I was with everything in my life being concerned with my job so a few weeks ago I bought a lovely normal 5 seater estate car which suits me and my family just fine. Can only fit 4 kids in (at a squeeze) but I don't need it so it shouldn't matter.

xxx

Cinnamon Sugar
24-06-2013, 01:00 PM
I just have a fiesta and can't fit 3 car seats in the back so can find it really restrictive if I want to go further afield. I use my husbands car for trips etc. Need a better nursery rhymes CD for the car actually, any suggestions? :-)

mrstom
24-06-2013, 01:04 PM
We have a car but I've never used it for minding. DH uses it for work most of the time but lately for 2-3 days a week he's been cycling so the car is sat on the driveway.

I wouldn't ever use it for school runs (school 5-10 min walk away) and our local 'village' is only 10-15 mins away with shops, library, toddler groups and a small park. There's also a mainline train station if I need it.

I only have two under two at the moment (part-time, TTO) so don't really need to go further afield. Plus I've got DS to collect from preschool at lunch so like to stay local.