PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep record of this? Re:child's development

Miss freckles
24-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I have a one year old who I feel is not where they developmentally should be based on the fact that the parents are holding her back and they want the child to stay a young baby for as long as possible.

The child is developing well with starting to put words together, becoming active etc. but the child is still eating purées only twice a day, only last week they introduced water in a bottle and when she goes home mum lays her down every day for a 3-4 hr sleep, baby doesn't wear clothes only baby grows.

I've been talking to mum delicately about certain things such as telling mum I can give the child a cup for the water so she can begin to hold the cup herself etc and said to mum to maybe making up her purées with more lumps in but what I'm worried about is ousted turning up and saying I'm not doing anything to help development as the child is behind.

I was thinking about maybe keeping a record of everything I speak to mum about and suggest to her, maybe an exercise book or something so If ofsted were to ask a question like that I could show them evidence of what I've been suggesting to mum or wether just showing them her daily diary would be enough as I do put some suggestions in the diary. Any ideas?

kellyskidz!
24-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I think OFSTED will be more bothered about you working in partnership with parents as well as bringing the child's development on. I don't think they'll be fussed with what she's eating or wearing, if parents want to purée her food, it's up to them I suppose.
Could you suggest to parents that you give her lumpier food if they're nervous about her choking (as I'm assuming they are) if baby is developing well in speech and movement you're doing a fab job, I wouldn't worry too much about food- if OFSTED do mention it say you're following parents requests. I think the diary comments will be enough evidence, OFSTED aren't there to judge a baby's clothing or eating, just how happy they are in your care and how you are encouraging development in areas such as learning through play etc xx

Stapleton83
24-06-2013, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about Ofsted re what she is eating but just as a suggestion could you say to the parents that if they were to give her lumpier food then it would encourage her to use her jaw and muscles resulting in better speech.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to send them home a copy of the EYFS area for her current age so that they can see where she should be at.

Good luck.

Sam x

sing-low
24-06-2013, 12:00 PM
It sounds like the pureed food and babygros are just the tip of the iceberg and the real issue is Mum and Dad not wanting to let go of their baby. I would record your conversations with Mum, as you'd suggested. Also if there are specific milestones (as per Development Matters) that the lo is not reaching then you could record that too, perhaps separately from a learning journal (i.e. for OFSTED rather than parents) and also the specific things that you are doing to address those areas. It's a tricky one, though, balancing working with parents (even if you disagree with what they do) and encouraging learning at home.

hectors house
24-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Agree with other comments- send home a copy of development matters (see free downloads for a concise version on just a few pages) highlight what the child is doing and suggest to the parents ideas of how their child can progress so she is meeting the next developmental stage.

madredann
24-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I wouldnt say the child was behind all children are different - you can use your daily diary(sounds like you are) and you can suggest things like xx drank from a cup today and did well etc when the little one is crawling does the baby grow get in the way if so mention that in the daily diary also like others have said send a copy of development matters re food if you are providing meals have a little discussion about what mum would like you to give the little one and make suggestions of foods that may be more suitable-if mum provides food perhaps you can introduce other foods in snack form so that lo has a bit of variety-we can only advise and steer parents subtly we cant tell them what to do however whilst the child is in your care you can expose them to loads of different experiences which will turn them into a fab little learner x with regards Ofsted you can use observations based on self-care what little one could do when starting your setting what they can do now and what steps you are taking to encourage further independance written and photo evidence will help as evidence if Ofsted come

Mrsh3103
24-06-2013, 12:52 PM
How does she react when she watches other children eat? If she is interested & seems to want to do it too maybe you could say to her parents that she's started showing an interest. Ask them what they want the next step to be- either just having solids as a snack to start with & purée at main meals. Or start introducing solids at main meals right away - by putting it like that, giving them options that all include introducing solid food they might decide to start on solids.
Is it their 1st child? Maybe they don't realise that by the age of 1 she should be able to feed herself.

Miss freckles
24-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all your replies, the thing is mum knows all about the eyfs, she has a childcare qualification and works in a nursery, this is why it puzzles me so much.

Thanks for the suggestions I already give so many suggestions to what they could do and what new things I've been trying with her when she's with me, so I shall just continue with what I'm doing.